Guest viewing is limited

TKR I did it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 8 and I am back in the hospital. Haven't felt well for a few days and it turns out that I have developed dvt and pneumonia. Feeling very sorry for myself now and wishing I hadn't agreed to the op

Jacky xx
 
I am so sorry that you ended up getting sick. Once you are feeling better you will feel differently. Right now no, and I imagine I would feel the same way. Your number one priority is to rest and listen to your nurses. Take all your meds. Get some reading done, positive books. Magazines. A hobby like crotchet or knitting. Relaxing with the TV on. If I lived a lot closer I would visit. But remember the number one priority is you!! Keep me posted.
Dana


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Allthejays So sorry to read your last post. I was just reading through your thread and thinking how well you were getting on. Hope you are sorted out quickly and can get back home.
Take Care of yourself - Deb x
 
Oh, dang it, @Allthejays! I'm so sorry you have a DVT and pneumonia. It was the one thing my doctor stressed, and 1% of us get them. You really should be fine in no time, and will have a stack of school uniforms to iron when you get back home. All my best. Keep us posted.
 
@Allthejays So sorry to hear what you are going threw. Just try to take it one day at a time. I know easier said than doing it. I have been a member of the ODIC and gets me every time. You have to remember your knee is in charge and it will let you know every time. You take care and get home soon!!!
 
@Allthejays - so sorry to read about your setback, and I sincerely hope you are feeling better soon (and are able to go home again).
 
Hoping things are getting better for you and looking forward to a positive update! All the best from Rochdale xxx
 
So very sorry to hear your doing poorly. I had a sonogram Monday because they thought I had a blood clot - thank God I didn't. Praying you will be back on track very quickly.
 
Thank you all so much for your kind words :). I am day 11 now and home from hospital again. I have been really poorly and sleeping a lot. Final diagnosis was pulmonary embolism and pneumonia. Knee recovering slowly, not so much pain now but still uncomfortable. I will need constant warfarin along with blood tests for the next 6-12 months and I am on very strong antibiotics for the pneumonia. Also extremely anaemic and taking iron to help with that

Hopefully I am now on the up side. I really can't wait just to have the energy and mobility to go out for lunch lol

I will keep you all updated and once again thank you for your concern. I'm so pleased I found you all xx
 
Dear Allthejays: Glad to hear you are now on the other side. I remember trying to lift my leg and could not, then realized the ice bag on it was part of the problem. I could do a leg lift once the ice bag was off but I think that was partly due to my having pre-op therapy at home for 1.5 months prior. I was scared that I would be going in very weak (I had fallen down my basement stair the first week in June and suffered a 3rd degree ankle sprain and a real hit to the knee which resulted in the TKR), so I did all I could to be ready. Work on getting pain meds the way you need them. My first day after I was in a CMM and got sick and pain was awful. My nurse jumped right on the pain train with me and had it worked out shortly after. I still follow the pain regime she laid out for me and I write it all down. Don't worry about what the leg looks like at this time. It will be swollen and won't look right to you. Focus on rest and ice and elevate. Don't push forward into PT if you are not ready. There is no race here... I noticed in the past 3 weeks that first it's pain and swelling...then after icing and elevating so much the swelling slowly recedes. And I can do a bit more. After more rest and elevating I notice weird aches in the upper thigh...and I can do a little more, sometimes just counting seconds not minutes. :-). Some days I am in bed with it elevated and iced and get up once every hour, walk to the kitchen, pet the cat, use the bathroom and say "good job, now back to rest" and back I go. On PT days (3x a week) I do all I can comfortably and then back home to lunch and rest for the rest of the day. It will get better and welcome to our forum! Keep us posted.
 
So sorry, you have really been through it. I've been thinking about you.

So you are coughing and have a PE? Oh, man!

I would follow skigirl and jeano's recovery process: Rest your knee, icing and elevating it for the first few weeks. Exercise later, and mainly at PT.

I was a slug for the first few weeks with my ice machine strapped on.
 
@Allthejays glad and relieved that your home. PE is nothing to mess around with so I'm thankful they found it. Pneumonia also stinks. May your road to recovery be swift and forward moving.
Take your meds and use the ice and elevate!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Allthejays Glad you are home again. You are having such a rough time of it! I can imagine you will have a lot of energy drain for awhile, just follow doctors orders and rest. I always hated taking iron while pregnant, made me sick. Yuck! Take care of yourself.
 
:flwrysmile: Hope you move past this bump in the road quickly. take care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom