TKR I can’t believe I’m still dealing with this darn Knee^

I'm 5 weeks out...my PT has been pushing my knee to a 10 pain level almost every session. This week she had me lie on my stomach and pushed my knee back so far that the pain was excruciating. I'm no wuss...I had 5 kids with no pain meds, severe sciatica for 2 mos.,and a bout with Shingles pain....by the time I got home I could barely get out of the car, and limped for the next day- the knee swelled as well.I'm an RN, and my family includes a neurologist, a NP, 2 PharmDs, and 12 other nurses...they all agreed it was counterproductive and just plain wrong to cause that much pain. I'm glad I found this site that tells you to not allow your PT to hurt you...common sense tells you that pushing that hard on an injured joint is bad for healing! My next session was yesterday and I told her we were not going to do that again...ever! PT needs to re-evaluate and get out of the dark ages...
 
@Cargirl47, it's crazy, right? I am starting with a whole new PT facility on Tuesday. I went in a few days ago to check it out. I spoke with a PT assistant and she said, "We're tough here but we don't hurt people". Hmmmm, we'll see... lol
 
@Danlovesmary if you pop to the last page of my thread have a read of the joke I sent to chestnc it's really funny. I'll tag you in anyway x x x x

Im so glad you got a new PT. That is good news! You will get stronger and stronger. Although I'm still having a few probs with my knee I think I am getting better as time goes by x you will get better eventually. A lot of people say up to 12 months for real recovery. I tell myself that's me! Xxx

@Pumpkln I just loved the womb with a view joke sooo hilarious:heehee:

Did you hear about the scarecrow who won the Nobel Peace prize...for being outstanding in his field! :loll::rotfl::heehee:
There you can tell that in the best of company!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I started my new therapy yesterday. IT WAS AWESOME!!
I was super disappointed to find out that my ROM has gotten so much worse, I'm at 18 and 90...but Michael, my new PT was very encouraging and optimistic. He thinks we can get to 120 within the 6 weeks the OS has given me before he wants to do the MUA.

This new place is very sports focused and I was surrounded by total athletes, male & female, rehabbing from various sport injuries. I really stood out, being nearly 60 and FAR from having the ripped and toned athlete's body everyone else did. But I was treated with great respect, friendliness, and positivity.

The best thing? He didn't hurt me! lol! I asked him what he thought of the philosophy "No Pain - No Gain". He said that he, and the entire staff there, does NOT practice according to that philosophy. He said there is a big difference between discomfort and pain. He promised to listen to me, and would use all of his experience, education, skill, and knowledge to work with me to get my life back. He made me promise to be honest with him and to trust him; and he promised that he would trust me and would be honest with me.

Hurray, Hurray, Hurray!
 
That all sounds just great and you are on the right road to recovery! With those attitudes you'll get there. Makes one wonder how they the physio can get the same qualification with so very different attitudes!
 
Great report on the PT front!
 
@Danlovesmary, Congratulations on finally finding a good physical therapist! I hope you are able to achieve your goals without pain!

Cindy
 
Thanks, everyone. It's been four months since surgery, I'm looking forward to those days when people say they don't even think about their knee.

I'm so grateful we have insurance and I have the ability to go for more, and hopefully better, therapy.

Thanks again, everyone, for the support and well wishes!
 
I think you are doing great! Don't get wrapped up in the numbers. I finally after reading this site when I can't sleep at night realize that trying to compete with others who have had a great experience ( the day of their post) also have setbacks too!
Once I realized that I am the expert in my healing and not the kids in charge of PT....since they haven't experienced it....my recovery has accelerated. Smile.....


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
for some reason your post on your new therapist didn't come up till after my post. I am glad you found a good therapist....still don't do anything you will regret for a week.......take it from me who pushes myself too hard.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Nana moon 27, I go today for my second session with PT. They want me twice a week. I did the exercises that I found here, on BoneSmart, on the days between therapy. I'm going slow, but am surprised at the pain/discomfort I'm still feeling. I'm sure hoping things start loosening up soon!

I know! It's a marathon, not a sprint! :walking:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom