TKR I can’t believe I’m still dealing with this darn Knee^

I was at 18 on extension when I restarted PT 5-6 wks ago. Yesterday I was at 2. So that's good, right?? Unfortunately, my bend is not getting past 90 on a bad day and maybe 100 on a really good day. Yesterday it was 90. It just won't bend.
If you're reaching 100 then it's quite probable that you can do better eventually.
Unfortunately, my bend is not getting past 90 on a bad day and maybe 100 on a really good day. Yesterday it was 90. It just won't bend.
But this changes the scene a somewhat in that if you're not improving then an MUA wouldn't do any harm and might you do a lot of good. I don't know why everybody goes on about MUAs but they're really not big of a deal so don't make it more than it is.

Look at it this way: you're over 5 months out. That's a good time to try an MUA while scarring and/or adhesions (if there are any) are still young and pliable.
 
MUAs do seem like a good thing for some people. It's just when PTs take the approach of using them as a "threat" that we all get a complex about them or think in terms of having "failed."
 
Thank you, @bottomshollow, for the MUA article! I had not read that before and it was very interesting and helpful! I will take your advice and elevate/ice a lot between now and Tuesday.

@Jozilla, thank you for the encouragement! As you know, it helps so much!

BoneSmart is truly a God-Send!
 
@Josephine, good point! And thank you for the reassurance about the MUA...what @kneeper says is so true! The dreaded MUA takes on a personality...like Darth Vader looming over us, a dark and menacing threat. hahahaha!
 
@Danlovesmary
I just finished reading your thread from start to the here and now. I am on the East Coast so I am not aware of hat time it is, probably around three hours difference? I don't have a lot of time to catch up with everyone I would as I had to go back to work , first as part tine 4-5 hors a day, and this is the end of my second full week back.i work in the medical field and you would think that my boss, a neurologist would understand. Oh , well. I am at 9 weeks post op. Still on pain meds during day and night and cannot drive yet. It has been a tough surgery. I never did have any explanation regarding the recovery of this surgery so of course BS has been my therapy, and medical advisors.

I wanted you to know that I will be praying for you and your decision refarding the MUA, and praying for your surgeon also. The pain and emotional aspect of this surgery is unbelievable, but I can 't imagine going on as long as you have . Especially since you have been so active for so long. I was just starting to get 5 solid hours of sleep last week after working 9 hours a day. Friday I started having a horrid electrical shock kind of pain coming out of the blue, straight at the bottom of my scar on my knee, it felt like every time my heart would beat i would get this shock. Well it stopped after an hour,a pain pill did not touch it. Last night and every four hours today, same thing! I have no idea what it is, but I would go bad have that MUA if it would fix it!
The MUA may be a good thing for you, and jump start your recovery again! At this point, and you are way ahead of me, I would do try anything just go start feeling normal again. I know this decision is not easy for you, so I will pray that God will give you an answer. Just remember er to stay still rest, ice, elevate and "Listen" for His answer ,

You have been through so much. I don't want you to have to suffer anymore pain or frustration needlessly! Take care. I will be watching you thread to see how you ate doing. God Bless you!
 
@Quasi, thank you so much! After reading the post from @Josephine I am feeling much less apprehension about an MUA. We'll see what the OS has to say on Tuesday. I will be sure to post here...everyone is SO caring and helpful here on BoneSmart!

Now...about that "electrical" shock thing you are experiencing!! I KNOW!!! It's crazy, right??? I guess some people don't experience that...boy, I sure did! I'm so sorry!!

I'm telling you...it was like a miracle when I tried the hand lotion and Saran Wrap! If you have not tried it PLEASE give it a try. I'm not kidding...I slept SO much better.

I think I posted the YouTube link that my sister sent me, it should be here in this thread.

Wrap the plastic wrap VERY loosely...the hand lotion will keep it in place. Go a few inches below and above your knee. Give it a try, what do you have to lose besides a dollop of hand cream and several feet of plastic wrap? :tada:

Let me know! I really hope it works for you!

Mary...in So Calif
 
Josephine...nope! I sure didn't! I'm so sorry...and thank you for all your help and concern.
 
I agree with what has been said. That being said, youhave had major surgery and it will take time to heal.
My surgeon said don't look to be in a hurry to heal as it will take three months to get to a better place.
As for PT, take some control and take a pain pill about 30 minutes before you go for your session. And yes it will hurt like you know what. I didn't think my leg would ever bend again after surgery and your mind plays horrid tricks with what might happen. Put those thoughts in a box. Tell your pt that you need a pain scale that the two of you are using so that when they are manipulating your leg you can tell them they have gone far enough for the day andthat you will take a deep breath and try just one more andthen you are done. They sould respect that. My dr. gave me 6 more weeks of PT after the first six weeks were done. There was no way I was healed enough to discontinue the therapy and if they the pt thinks you will be done in six weeks definitely talk to your dr. You PT should do an evaluation at six weeks anyway and make recommendations. My insurance only paid for so much but I opted for more PT and they let me make monthly payments to pay for the extra sessions which literally helped me get better. In the second six week session I was going three times a week for two weeks and then down to twice a week and really making progress. After 16 weeks I was off PT but still walking and biking at home. Since April i have moved to a place with stairs and was using my hands and going slowly. three months later my knee does not hurt going up or down stairs, I no longer need to hold the handrail, and can actually carry things up and down the stairs.....the stairs were the best therapy for me and my knee. I also signed up for a Silver Sneakers twice a week session at my gym and love it. Basically I am saying give yourself time, it will get better, but slowly and think, hey I am doing this and I am not giving up. It will get better, so much better than it was....the pain goes away, slowly, gut surely.
 
Hi Mary,
I have been following you for a while now with much interest as I had my L TKR in February this year and I have have a very slow recovery.
I had a MUA at 6 weeks because my knee was stuck at 45o.
It wasn't as bad as I had been lead to believe and it certainly got me moving again.
When I had the MUA, I also asked for inpatient rehabilitation and insisted on good pain management to give it the best chance of working.

Now at 5 months post op, I am managing an extension of 4 and at best a 100o bend, usually closer to 90-95o
I am, however, not needing any pain relief besides occasional Panadol, the knee is not swelling up as much and I am finally sleeping now.
I do physio at home every day with a focus on bending and I see my lovely physio three times a week.
I saw my os in June but he just says I need to "get brutal" with it.
I am about to head off on a 2 month world tour and intend to try to enjoy it as much as possible and I hope that my knee will slowly continue to improve if I keep moving it.

If not, then I see the surgeon again when I get back and I will be asking for a second opinion.

I wish you all the best regardless of what you decide to do, its bloody frustrating and limiting when the knee doesnt heal as you had hoped!
Vicki
 
I saw the OS this week - for about two and a half minutes. He grabbed my leg and straightened it and bent it, told me I had reached 108 a couple of times (according to PT report) so he have me 2 more months of PT, said everything is within normal expectation for TKR. Reminded me it's about a year recovery.

So no MUA for me, I guess I'm relieved. LOL! I was almost hoping for one after all! Get it over with! Ha!

Anyway...yesterday I tripped on a mat in a store and bent my knee WAY far!!! OH MY!!! Really sore and swollen since then. I'm icing and elevating. My plan is that it loosened things up in there and it was a good thing, right??


Mary
5, February, 2014
 
@Danlovesmary, You did your own manipulation without the anesthesia! It sounds like your surgeon spends about as much time with you as mine does with me.
 
@Texan, I think I did! Partially, anyway.
Don't you love handing over a co-pay and then get a "drive-by" exam?? I know if I was having serious issues, he would spend the necessary time with me - I think! haha!
I live in one of the most populated counties in the US, I think. Orange County, CA. I'm sure every doctor is stretched to their limit...

I'm grateful for insurance, for sure! So a $20 co-pay is fairly painless. But it does add up! Every PT appt is $20 X 8 appt's a month...he wants me to go for two more months.
 
@Danlovesmary, I don't have to pay any copays either since I have met my out of pocket deductible. I feel blessed to have the insurance I have. When I look at the explanation of benefits from the insurance company, I wonder how a lot of people afford to have these procedures.
 
@Texan, I don't even know what our out-of-pocket limit is. We had relocated from another state and I had not gotten a job yet when my knee thing started, almost two years ago. I know it would help us tremendously if I were working. I have to admit, though, that I am so very grateful that I haven't had to get back to a job after my TKR. I can't even imagine....

My heart goes out to those who are forced back to work before they truly are ready physically.
 
@Danlovesmary

So you did your own MWA (manipulation without anaesthetic). Ouch! I'm sorry that happened, because it must have been very painful. Treat the knee gently for a few days, with plenty of rest, ice, elevation - you know the drill by now! At least it has let you know that the knee will bend further - it just has to come slowly.

When you start PT on the knee again, take it gently and slowly. The bend is there, so encourage ti, don't force it.
Best wishes!:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks, @Celle, yeah...it scared the heck outta me! Haha! I hope it enables me to bend it further than I was, after the swelling goes down. I will take it easy, keep icing & elevating...thanks again!
~ Mary ~
 
Hello @Danlovesmary- I've just read your thread & it sounds like you've had a slow recovery. You are about 3 weeks ahead of me & am wondering how you are doing with your walking? Do you have a limp of any sort? It's been a tough road for me as it took a while to wake my quad up, just happened about last month or so. 1 step forward 2 steps back....frustrating!! Trying to stay positive but it sure is hard.

Thinking of you & wish you well with your recovery.

Gina
 
@zlady
Hi Gina, yeah...it can be really slow and frustrating! I limp on bad days. There are good days too! On those days I can walk pretty much normally. I still can't go down stairs one step after another...

Tripping the other day is a setback for sure...it's so swollen I haven't been able to do much exercising at home. I will go back to therapy next week, per surgeon orders, for two more months.

I know what you mean about the quad not waking up...mine is now, after a lot of mini squats and leg lifts!

Hang in there, from what I hear a year recovery is pretty standard.

Mary
 
Back
Top Bottom