TKR I can’t believe I’m still dealing with this darn Knee^

hi Mary, I agree with the others on the meds. I travel quite a bit for work and still take along a botle of Tramadol in case I over do things, though thankfully I rarely feel like I need it anymore. I also have the extended release arthritis strength Tylenol, but also don't use that much any more. However, at the point you are at...I was still taking it regularly at least at night. My OS gave me strict orders not to quit to soon as it was critical to be able to do the exercises and she didn't want pain holding me back from exercising. I officially finished PT at the end of December my ROM was just at 120...but when I went back a few weeks ago during my flare up I was up to 135. You will get past it...it just takes time and patience ( which I, by the way also haven't been to good at :-).
 
Thanks everyone! I'm so glad, @dogwheels, that you described some of the scenarios in a medical group...it's easy to imagine a heartless surgeon sitting in his office, surrounded by pictures of his family and golf trophies, getting a message from his nurse that, "whiny, slacker, Mary is sucking up narcotics like she's eating a bowl of Cheetos". lol! The truth is, he has NO idea who I am. He probably does dozens of knee replacements a month, he has met me twice.

I will be firm, unemotional, and efficient. And if he does not react appropriately, I will crumple and bawl my head off. Either way, I am leaving his office with answers, help, resources, and a refillable prescription.
 
I had a complete and total meltdown today...so the name on my thread was very fitting today! I had shooting/stabbing pains in my thigh, right above my knee, for HOURS. TYLENOL didn't touch it, and I only have one Tramadol tablet left. ONE! I'm saving it for tonight. My OS would not refill prescription until he sees me and he could not see me until Thursday.

I have been doing very gentle bends and extensions. If I don't keep moving my knee every 10 minutes, I can barely stand to move it, it's like it seizes up unless it's moving a little bit. It's still swollen, but now it's also swollen above the knee, on each side. Different.

Somebody please tell me a joke. It can even be really dumb...just make me laugh, please! I might have to dig out IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD. Anyone know that movie?
 
I just happened to log on and saw your post :-( I'm sorry about your pain. I don't known any PC jokes to share, but how about telling you that the new creme that my OS gave me that's supposed to help with the pain and swelling in my knee actually does nothing for the pain but turns my skin yellow and into the consistency of fly paper why it 'dries'. For the past 3 days I look down to see the oddest assortment of stuff just stuck to my knee. Dog hair, lint, a stray piece of yarn, bits of plastic... basically, anything not nailed down within a mile radius just sticks to my knee! I've started a new game on my thread 'What's Stuck To Ellen's Knee Today?' .....

I used to hoard my pain meds too as I always afraid of running out and it sucks. I wish I could courier you some over right away.... xoxoxo
 
OK here goes,
Why are test tube babies born with a smile on their face?

Because they had a womb with a view.:heehee:

I hoarded Norco before my surgery, just in case, try ice and elevation.
I had kinda the same thing spasms, ice helps it slows the nerve conduction.

Hope you start feeling better soon, be glad we don't have hairy legs like Dogloverx3
 
Goodness...I am so sorry that you cant be seen till Thursday. I wish I knew a joke to tell ya. Only thing I can think of to gain a smile is to watch videos of babies or puppies. Laughter does help. My husband joined facebook right after my surgery and I cant tell you how hard I laughed at him trying to adjust to it....He is 71 and just learning to navigate a kindle....course that is not helping you, but one would think he was born 100 years ago. UH, He practically was....I do hope your pain lessens and that you get your pain pills Thursday.
 
@Danlovesmary, Have you thought of maybe having a massage? My p/t did a wonderful massage the first 15 minutes of therapy and it really helped the IT band and swelling. I am thinking about going for a massage after my next surgery before I start outpatient p/t. I read on someones board (can't remember which one) that her OS started recommending massage after seeing how little swelling she had after surgery. I did research for my area to find a massage therapist who specialized in therapy for people who were recovering from surgery. I hope you are able to get your pain meds tomorrow!
 
I feel like a street addict who scored! LOL! I have some pain medication! Hip-Hip-Hurray!!
I saw OS today, he was SO kind and supportive! Hurray! If he only knew...I went in there prepared for battle, and if that didn't work, I was going to bawl like a three year old...

He said my knee looks great, he said I have done a good job on my own with PT...but says I have a stubborn knee. That's his word. He feels that a new PT, @Texan, doing massage will help a lot. So, good suggestion! I'm also, as much as I can afford it ($), going to go for aqua therapy, which our insurance does not cover.

If we aren't at 120 degrees in 6 wks he really feels I'm a candidate for an MUA. In 6 weeks I will be 5.5 months post tkr.

He said for sure I will be ready for the Surf City Half Marathon I'm aiming for. It's on Super Bowl Sunday...most of my huge family is doing it. I will be walking, unless there are grizzly bears. I will run if there are grizzly bears.

Thanks, everyone, for the jokes! It helped!

@Junebug2, my dad will be 89 in Oct. When my mom was alive he left the fancy computer stuff - email, haha - to her. She's been gone 14 years now and Dad has embraced the future! LOL! He has an iPad with him everywhere he goes...updates his whereabouts on FaceBook, posts selfies...he is amazing!
 
So glad you had a good appointment today Mary! And you scored pain meds! Double good! ;-) I'm mostly glad you're no longer 'afraid' of your OS and know that he is listening to you/concerned about your well being. Thanks so much for the update. I was just wondering how your appointment went today! xoxox
 
I called the PT most recommended and asked if I could have a quick phone conversation...at their convenience. I wanted to just kind of hear their "thoughts" on NO PAIN NO GAIN. All I was able to do was speak with receptionist, who said I could/would not receive a call back. I should come in person, check out facility, and "wait around" and hope one of the PT's would have a minute or two to talk with me. Really?

So...I drove up there, So Cal freeways all the way, tense & hectic....took 35-40 minutes. But, hey! Highest recommendation from OS office staff. When I got there they were closed. For the day. Who closes on a Tuesday at 1:00?? And couldn't the receptionist have told me that on the phone?

So, since I now hate everyone there, I am checking with the next recommended place. It's closer, and they have a website that is pretty cool. Looks like they specialize in sports injury/surgery re-hab. So...I don't know if they want to take on an almost 60 year old gramma whose sporting days of being a ski instructor and a racquet ball league champion are LONG gone.

I don't really hate everyone at the other place. But right now I'm rooting for the next place...and, hey! I bet there will be some cute athletes there, pleasant scenery, right?
 
I would opt for the closer p/t. That drive sounds terrible to me. I went and met my therapist before I scheduled any appointments. I asked him how he felt about "no pain, no gain"? He gave the right answer so I scheduled appointments. He was really good.
 
@Danlovesmary I have been reading through your posts. You have been through it!!! Isn't this recovery the absolute pits? I never would have made it without this site. I am 9 weeks out and so discouraged. I am glad that your OS was very kind to you. I dread my next appt. because they want me off my pain meds. At 3 months and I don't see that happening. I laugh when I read the hoarding stories. I have done that too!
~~hopefaith
 
@Texan, I agree about choosing the closer PT...I am going there today to meet them and see if it feels like a good "fit" for me.

@hopefaith, yes! This recovery is the pits! I'm looking forward to having this all behind me! I have 8 months to get ready for the half-marathon (walking it!); half of me is thinking there is no WAY I will be able to EVER do it. But the other half of me remembers when I was a ski instructor, when I played league racquet ball, when I would have been the first one in the family to try paddle boarding....and I know I can do it!

Thanks for your interest!
 
Go with the closer PT office, the other one sounds like it will be a nightmare, with horrible customer service, stay away.
Where were you a ski instructor? I taught at Kirkwood and Heavenly Valley in the 70's.
 
@Pumpkln, I wonder if you've ever heard of it...Mt Baldy, So Cal, in the San Gabriel Mountains. Believe it or not, I actually started working there when I was 10....a really unique opportunity for the local kids. We provided free labor all summer, varnishing skis (yep...it was the 60's), picking trash, busing tables, and then we got to ski free all winter. By the time I was 12 I was a good enough skier to teach during the summer ski program. Just a couple of small hills with rope tows, covered with straw and cotton seed hulls. Surprisingly effective to ski down, and teach the basics. I was an instructor, a lift operator, I flipped burgers, I worked in the rental shop...it was awesome! I even raised my kids there, eventually, and my oldest son is now the mountain manager for the ski resort. I worked there, doing it all, up into the late 80's. Great memories!
 
Yes, I have heard of Mt Baldy, never made it down there.
What wonderful opportunities you had as a youth. I learned how to ski at Echo Summit Ski Area (closed for years), sounds similar. A couple of rope tows and a T bar (ugh), run down lodge etc. Fun times!
I was asking because we are trying to organize a Heavenly Valley instructor/employee reunion from the late 70's this coming February and thought just maybe you worked there. Small world you never know.
Hey look we are not talking about our knees, how great is that!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom