Guest viewing is limited

THR I am titanium!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @calikat I can see the redness but not the bumpiness. Your scar is like mine....it doesn't really let on what's going on in there!!!!!:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Thanks for that explanation @Josephine ....I sometimes wonder since my infection, is confirmed as a deep infection that perhaps I am better off to just get it removed and cleared rather than for it to come back a year later????
 
I don't know so much. Why jump the gun when you may very well be cleared of it? Then you'd have had surgery for no good reason. I do believe there are at least as many infections that get cleared up with chemotherapy as go on to have a revision. So you have as good a chance of one as the other.
 
@Vetgirl and @Josephine That would be so wonderful if you could clear the infection with chemotherapy. Is that the type of medication you are taking now? I did not even know such a thing was possible. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you Sally. <3
 
calikat, any course of drugs you take is 'chemotherapy' (literal meaning 'treatment with drugs, i.e. chemicals), whether it be antibiotics, pain meds or other drugs such as insulin, thyroxin, statins, heart related drugs, anything.
 
Thank you for that information @Josephine. I did not realize they could treat infections with just medication. I am very hopeful for @Vetgirl.
 
:scratch: What did you think antibiotics are? They are just medication!
 
@Josephine of course I know antibiotics are medication. But my understanding was the biofilm that forms around the joint replacement prosthesis could not be eradicated by the antibiotics, and that was why a revision would be necessary.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, gotcha! Well there is a difference there; biofilm isn't a normal kind of infection and yes, rarely can it be teated with routine antibiotics. But that doesn't mean that every infection arises from the biofilm. Regular infections in teh superficial layers can get infected too and these can be treated with antibiotics in the usual way. One just doesn't know until the first has run its course, which infection is present.
 
Wow....thanks for all the questions @calikat and the great information @Josephine and yes you made a great point about let the meds run their course.

I'm just anxious to be out of limbo....sorry for hijacking your thread Kat but I do believe that you would be just as interested in the info as I was.....
 
@calikat and @charmed-life
I am fairly new to this site, and I am now just catching up on your story calikat. I am so sorry for all you gone through. Because of you, and because of charmed-life, I just emailed my surgeon. I have trouble wearing most earrings, my ears get red, burning, and itchy after wearing a pair for a few hours. Taking them out solves the problem. I don't have trouble wearing necklaces, or watches, but my sister did before she passed away. Anyway, I had a random thought about sharing the earrings issue with doc before, but didn't want to bother my surgeon or their staff with whether a metal allergy should be a concern. I stupidly assumed these implants were likely hypoallergenic...FDA and all. I haven't had surgery yet, scheduled for Feb 3. After reading here, I sent off an email this morning telling my surgeon what I have shared here. I also asked if there was maybe a test he could order via blood draw to find out IF I might have a metal allergy. Thank you all for sharing. I'll post what my doc has to say.
@calikat what metals are in your implant?
@charmed-life , do you happen to know what brand, type of implant you received? Do you know what metals it is made of other than not nickel?
Any info anyone else has on allergy to hip implants is most appreciated.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember the name but will ask next week. I know they said two materials. - one was titanium and that is was an alloy with no nickel. Jewelry with a very high gold content I can tolerate - more gold ( or other metal) the less nickel they use as filler.
 
@FLgirlie I believe mine was a titanium niobium alloy? There is a small percentage of people who have problems with titanium. I am still waiting for the testing. They are trying to rule out other conditions first.
 
Hi @calikat and @charmed-life
Thanks for the info. My doc responded that although all implants, believe it or not, have a trace of nickel. Mine will be titanium and ceramic, which has negligible nickel and no cobalt or chrome. Titanium forms an oxide layer so there is no corrosion, and he said not to worry. Believe it or not, I went looking around the Internet and was able to confirm what he said. One article said that if you are concerned about nickel, ask for titanium. Another article described a woman who was allergic to her left hip cobalt implant, but not her right hip implant made of titanium. So, although there is a slim slim chance I could have an allergic reaction, I at least feel like I did my due diligence, and also think titanium has the least likelihood of causing an allergic reaction.
I hope they figure this out for you calikat...I will be reading to learn more as you post.
update: I misunderstood....I guess its titanium, ceramic, cobalt and Chromium in neck of implant...trace nickel.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hibbe I love the picture of your Puff N Fluff! <3 I should have put my gym membership on hold too. Now it is too late since it went out of business a few months ago...LOL! I am now out the money regardless. I had also bought a years membership for Bikram Yoga a few months before all this started too. All that money for things I have been unable to do!!! :yikes:
 
Oh @calikat how awful.....all that money down the drain

On a lighter note.....I just got what your username means.....drrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :heehee:

Hope you had a better night
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom