Guest viewing is limited

THR I am titanium!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@calikat ... how are you doing? I wish one of your docs could tell you of something you could use for the benefits of cold without the side effects you suffer from the cold. Worth a call to ask? I too am SO glad you are where you are. As a lot of the country is in a big freeze right not. How has the Zyrtec worked out?
Please let us hear how you are doing. And thank you very much for taking the time to weigh in on my thread. I really appreciate you input, though I am so sorry for what you have had to go through.
 
Hi @calikat I'm just catching up on your thread and cannot believe you are going through this!!!!

I'm so glad that your allergist believed you and at least you can start the testing and move towards some answers now. It looks like we will be a great support to each other through this limbo period and whatever comes next.

I'm glad at least your hand is a success......
 
I wish one of your docs could tell you of something you could use for the benefits of cold without the side effects you suffer from the cold.
Why do you think that cold remedies are a multi-billion dollar industry? Because none of them really work! It's like diet pills. All hyperbole and no substance!
 
@Peaches today has not been a good day. I feel really unwell generally, and I am having a lot of pain. I went and had more blood drawn so we shall see what that says. I am still waiting to hear about the results of my blood work from Monday. The OS and the immunologist seem to have opposing views, but the OS said he is fine with me having the testing. But at the moment I am concerned that my pain is increasing...not just in my hip but my back and right leg down to my foot. The hip OS says the leg pain is from my back. I don't know what to think. Call me overwhelmed.
 
That seems very annoying....why does the OS think its your back? Have you ever had any back issues?

If the tests come back positive for an allergy I hope he is willing to do something @calikat

I remember from the beginning you felt like your hip wasn't 'just right'

So sorry you have been having pain....it really does wear you down!!!!!
 
Thanks for your interest in my story, Calicat and others. There are several reasons why I've never started another thread, but the main one, I suppose, is that I am just so aware that I am not at all sure of my facts, and wouldn't want to lead anyone down the wrong alleyway with the dubious benefit of my "advice".

Since that fateful New Year's Eve when I first fell out of the plane - I am such an exhibitionist - I feel as though I have just drifted through this experience, when ideally I would like to have been more at the helm, directing the movie, rather than taking a bit part. Kindly friends would say "How are things going with your hip now?" and I would find myself replying: "Er, I'm not quite sure. Can you ask me an easier one?"

I've always gone into my hospital appointments primed with incisive, pertinent questions. I take a notebook, and jot down key facts from replies. I phrase these questions to the best of my ability, and wait for the answers, sitting there all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Then something seems to go wrong...

I ask the question. The medical professional gives an answer. Surely we are making progress now? But no. The sensible well-phrased question meets the sensible well-phrased reply and somewhere in the middle entropy occurs. The communication link suffers some kind of catastrophic cut. This puzzles me. I have based my career as a writer on making myself understood. Why does this seismic shift occur whenever I am in a consulting room?

I wonder if anyone else has this problem?

Like you, I never quite recovered from my original op, having many aches and twinges, and a persistent limp. Unlike you, however, I really never had more than a couple of days of true pain. The word "infection" was only mentioned when I developed a soft lump, about the size of a tangerine, at the base of my incision, some 18 months down the line. This was drained, and I was given a short course of antibiotics. It came back, and was drained again. It never reappeared.

This is one of - many - things which puzzle me. If the infection was active, which is was certainly proved to be, why did this fluid never come back? Was it maybe some specific time in the lifecycle of the infection, which never occurred again? I dunno. You may have a giggle, however, when I tell you that I thought: "Oh great! An infection! They'll soon clear that up." (Bottom of the class again, Glynis.)

I have read through most of your thread, and it is encouraging that your medical professionals are obviously taking you seriously. You may well have some answers soon.

Incidentally, I asked my surgeon about taking antibiotics for dental work, and he said that in the view of his professional organisation it was not necessary. He said there is no evidence of a link to prosthesis problems, and he went on to say that the more antibiotics you take, the more you may be storing up trouble for yourself if you develop any kind of severe infection later in life, and have built up an immunity to them.

Well, this is becoming a bit of a rambling rose. I hope I will not get into trouble again for hijacking your thread.

You did ask!

Glynis
 
@glynis I don't think you hijacked the thread at all, and you provided @calikat with a good explanation that everyone is different in their recovery and also with infections and other issues. If this was my thread and I read your comment I would thank you for input and how you were feeling with your whole infection process.

@calikat sorry haven't checked in for a little bit, I have going to PT 3 times week for my knee and trying to get the range back, it's been very painful and slow. I spend the rest of my time wearing a dynasplint 2 hours on and then 2 hours off during the day and then wearing it all night.
I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time and also having new pains. How is the hand doing? I hope that recovery is going good for you.
I've been thinking of you and Sally @Vetgirl and hoping that everything works out for both of you.
Please take care,
Lisa
 
@glynis I thank you for your reply. You can comment in my thread about anything any time. <3

@sunsetbiking Please don't worry about not commenting etc. We all have lives to live etc. I am glad to hear that you are working on your knee, but sorry for the pain. My hand has actually been pretty sore...using it too much I am sure. It is really difficult not to use your dominant hand! I went back to work in the office last week which was probably a mistake. I should have waited another week at least. Oh well...just a bad decision.

@Vetgirl I do have low back issues. I injured my back in 2001 and it has never been the same since. I have just dealt with it. Then a few years ago I started to figure out that my hip was involved also. My doctors advised me to try fixing the hip first to see where that left me with my back. The back pain is quite significant, but the hip pain is for the most part less than prior to the THR. I couldn't walk very well or any length of time by the end. Now the pain I am having in my hip is different the before the surgery, and I am grateful that I can walk. Between my back, my hip and my hands/wrists I am in pain all the time, and I am just exhausted.
 
So sorry to hear all this. It boggles the mind that they cant find the cause of your Pain. Hopefully soon. You must be so worn down. Thinking of you. Devorah
 
Oh dear @calikat the fact that you have back issues does make it easier to blame your back not your hip despite what you think...doesn't it?????

Even with all my issues my hip is better than prior to surgery.

@glynis story just proves how every infection/story can be different...doesn't it????

Hope things look up for you soon
 
It looks like we will be a great support to each other through this limbo period and whatever comes next.
Absolutely @Vetgirl. Feel free to PM me whenever the need arises. I hope you are feeling well today. <3
 
Thanks @calikat same goes for you

I had a big day so I know I will suffer tomorrow with being too tired

Hope yours was good too
 
Hey @Vetgirl! Nope. Just playing the waiting game. I think of you often. <3
 
Ah @calikat it seems we are both playing that game!!!!

I'd love to see a pic of your scar and how it's changed if you don't mind sharing?

I think of you often too

I also meant to thank @glynis for sharing mor e of her story here. I wasn't at all upset at it being in my thread and thank you so much for sharing it. I keep trying to find more people's stories about their journey through infection and revision but they always stop after 1 page!!!! Do you find yourself looking for stories Calikat?

I was amazed at how different our infections were Glynis. I have only had the tiniest lump and discharge but was very sick while you had 2 huge lumps and discharge but no other symptoms...weird.

Take care Kat and I know you'll keep us updated xxx
 
@Vetgirl This is today. I am about 4 months out. The scar has flattened out but the redness has spread out also. The texture of my skin feels rough and bumpy along the sides of the incision. It is very strange. I am not sure if you can really tell what I am talking about from the photo. I have never had a surgical scar that has "behaved" in this way
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] I am titanium!
    image.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 237
The word "infection" was only mentioned when I developed a soft lump some 18 months down the line. This was drained, and I was given a short course of antibiotics. It came back, and was drained again. It never reappeared.
This is one of - many - things which puzzle me. If the infection was active, which is was certainly proved to be, why did this fluid never come back?
What happens is this: the infection was only moderate to start with. The antibiotics dampened it down until it appeared to be resolved but it wasn't. It had become a 'subclinical' infection, meaning there were no outward or obvious symptoms. But it didn't mean it had gone completely. Eventually it could and did, regain activity and surface again. That's the problem with deep infections. It happens with kidney or lung infections too. It's a bit like the bonfire you start in your garden. It's never a huge fire and eventually it dies now and you think it's gone out and leave it. Only to find some hours later that it's flared up again. So it is with some infections.
The scar has flattened out but the redness has spread out also. The texture of my skin feels rough and bumpy along the sides of the incision.
It's a little bit keloid, that's all. It may even out and pale in time or it may not. You can never tell. Scar abnormalities: keloid and hypertrophic scars.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom