Bilateral THR I’m far 2 Hip for these lousy joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, @MrDIY, where's that inspiring daily report? Missed it all week. Can't do 1/10th of what you're doing (well, honestly, even before surgery!) but it's cool to read about someone who is making it work. I hope you're getting stronger every day, and that the routine you have been following is producing great results for you. I can't wait to get back to the gym or to PT for some exercises to strengthen my core again. Unlike your surgeon, mine told me I have to wait until the 6 week check-up before they'll do an assessment and let me know what I can do next. I am...ahem...a good deal older than you so I suspect they are more conservative in their approach. But I was pretty darn healthy before surgery, with regular exercise and I'd love to resume that again. Anyway, hope all's well and hope to see a post at some point--and you get to brag--nothing like fabulous recoveries to inspire us all!
 
Ok @Barbaraj here you go!
Day 10

Light day

Stairs x 2

Notes on stairs: no longer using crutch on stairs, just one hand on rail. On ascending have transitioned to “normal” stair ascension: left foot up, right foot to next step, rather than 1 foot up, next foot to same step. Still descending using my weak (left) leg to lower, in controlled manner my right foot to next step.

walking unassisted for small trips ( recliner to bathroom,etc ) in the house x 5

Stationary bike 30 minutes at RPE 6 (1-10 scale)
 
Day 11
Stairs x 3

Walk unassisted x 1

2000’ walk x 1

Box squats 4x5 bodyweight

Bench press
5x155x2
 
Day 12

Switched from crutches to cane as primary assistance device. Right leg is strong enough. Left leg still has issue of bearing full bodyweight at the push off phase of the walking gait (hip extension)

Stairs x 4

1000’ walk w/ crutches x 1
1000’ walk with cane x 3

Bodyweight squats x5 x1; x7x1
 
Day 13
10/24/18
Follow up dr apt with Dr’s PA

Took off dressing said “looks good”

Can take bath 4-6 weeks when wound is scar not scab.

Can take Motrin up to 600 mg dose as / if needed ( I don’t find Tylenol effective) She said it is ‘old thinking’ that Motrin interferes with osseointegration.

Can add weight to lifts she said “go for it, you aren’t going to hurt anything we did. If you have sharp pain or debilitating DOMS back off.”

Cleared to drive when I feel up to it.
 
Day 14

Stairs x 7
1000’ walk w/cane x 1
2000’ walk w/ cane x 1
1000’ walk unassisted: mild limp in left leg still but improved from previous days.
 
Day 15

Went to sons Marching band competition.
Sat in bleachers in bleacher seat for an hour and a half. Got up and walked around once during intermission.

Stairs x 3

Workout Song of the day: Nightlight, Silversun Pickups

Box squat 17.75” box
WUp: 3 x 5 x bodyweight 18.75” box
Work: 3 x 5 x 45lb (Empty bar) 17.5” box

Press
WUp: 5x45,45,60,80 lbs
Work: 3 x 5 x 90lbs

Deadlift
WUp: 2 x 5 x 65lbs,
Work: 5 x 95 lbs

Stationary bike @ RPE 6 , 10 min
 
I am...ahem...a good deal older than you

Wel you don’t look it, darling!

and you get to brag

Honestly, my goal is not to brag, it’s to provide other that are younger and stronger an example of my recovery, although TBH I believe a measured progression is not contraindicated for most populations.
 
Last edited:
Wel you don’t look it, darling!



Honestly, my goal is not to brag, it’s to provide other that are younger and stronger an example of my recovery, although TBH I believe a measured progression is not contraindicated for most populations.

I am following too with great interest. That seems a lot for a bilateral but only you know how your body is reacting so am pleased it is working for you - and I don’t think you are bragging :-)

As a much older person I was doing ok with the physio and felt it was helping until one day I really overdid it and set myself back weeks. Likely I had a weakness in that particular muscle area from underuse. Who knows? But have been very cautious since now on the mend again. Can’t wait to drive again!
 
Honestly, my goal is not to brag, it’s to provide other that are younger and stronger an example of my recovery, although TBH I believe a measured progression is not contraindicated for most populations.

Same - I sometimes feel posting nothing but positive results might seem like a brag, or could potentially make others feel bad - and ultimately probably read as 'boring'. But I think that it helps to have all stories and experiences of recovery available.

Reading through posts on this forum over the past 18 months or so it does seem - in my unscientific opinion - that those who are younger, and in better health overall seem to have better recovery results. So while some might think @MrDIY is overdoing it, he is at least giving more data as to what's possible for patients after THR. Everyone is different, and heals differently, but chances of a good outcome seem to be better if done sooner rather than later.

@MrDIY feels he can push himself and as long as he listens to his body and clears things with his medical team more power to him.
 
But I think that it helps to have all stories and experiences of recovery available.
Agree.
I do feel since there is a myriad of visitors and members that read these posts, that as it is a public forum...it is the responsibility of the staff to make sure that others know that these are not activities deemed appropriate for bilateral hip replacement patients a little over 2 weeks out.
As you say...all different recoveries...with varying outcomes...some less than optimal outcomes are unfortunately due to excess PT too early.
Hope all continues to go splendidly, @MrDIY and I'm getting that you are listening to your body as you know what is working for you. That is not always the case with many sadly.
 
I agree with Mojo in the danger of member's reading these workout updates without knowing @MrDIY's history if they haven't gone back to the beginning, or read his pre-op.
While I sincerely hope your final outcome is optimal, it's still unwritten...
Wishing only the best for you as you move forward.
Have a great weekend!
 
So while some might think @MrDIY is overdoing it, he is at least giving more data as to what's possible for patients after THR. Everyone is different, and heals differently, but chances of a good outcome seem to be better if done sooner rather than later.

There is no way I would employ @MrDIY 's or @cheermom 's approach to THR healing. @dlp , I think just the opposite: if we are talking about Exercise such as reps, squats, etc , the chances of a 'good outcome' will be better if done later, rather than sooner. For me, the mantra has been heal first, then exercise; that is my prerogative-- to Do It My Way (cue Frank Sinatra classic) . So I watch the progress reports of this gung-ho style with some ambivalence.

While I sincerely hope your final outcome is optimal, it's still unwritten...
Exactly. Does it really matter whether anyone is off the walking aids in 3 days or 3 months? What really counts at the end of the day--or rather then end of the year-- is whether you are back to normal. So the six-month and one-year-reports are the ones I'm interested in seeing.
 
Wel you don’t look it, darling!

Well, @MrDIY, not only are you a recovering bilateral hip jock, you are also a silver tongued devil! Thanks for the compliment, I do appreciate seeing it this morning as I'm staggering around in bathrobe, hair awry and feeling every year of my age! And I, too, don't think you're bragging, just reporting on YOUR individual progress after surgery.

I have to say that I do like seeing success stories posted. Even if it's clear I cannot aspire to what you're doing, @MrDIY, or to some of the other more aggressive physical post-surgical recovery plans. I think that if folks read enough postings on here, they will quickly see that recoveries run the gamut in terms of time of recovery, walking ability, energy recovery, etc. And the moderators do a great job in always reminding us that each recovery, like each individual, is unique and comparing yourself to anyone else is foolish.

I am definitely not in the high intensity exercise group but I think I'm doing pretty darn good with walking unassisted by four weeks, and a recovery marked for the most part with no real pain or discomfort. I still get energy drain (I can't imagine how you must feel at the end of your workouts, @MrDIY!) but I am hopeful that in the next few weeks that will ease up. I definitely think I'm moving in the right direction. Even my husband said yesterday on our walk, "you are really walking well--the Zombie stagger is gone and mostly no limp". I think @An54 has an approach that works for her, and clearly @MrDIY has found an approach that works for him--all good. And both are interesting to follow and I feel as if I'm able to read their posts without necessarily thinking, "oh, I need to do THAT".
 
I like to be the optimist and hope that anyone reading these forums reads many threads, and understands that everyone's recovery will be different. Anyone who is going to do something they probably shouldn't was probably going to end up doing it anyway, because that means they didn't talk to or listen to their medical provider.

Besides, as @Barbaraj points out, the mods do a good job of making sure anyone doing something questionable has thought it through :)
 
Anyone who is going to do something they probably shouldn't was probably going to end up doing it anyway, because that means they didn't talk to or listen to their medical provider.

@dlp , This is where we diverge dramatically in our thinking --as well as our post-surgical regime! :)
That is, I agree with the first part of your statement, but not about listening (unreservedly) to our medical provider. But I have too many of those medical providers in the family, even one in the household, and after 25 years, the lustre is off the god. My surgeon , "the best!" , works flat-out on an endless procession of patients rolling through his practice ; I have spent a whole 17 minutes with him during two different appointments. I got standard handout sheets, and was automatically given a prescription for Tramadol; it was a good thing that I never needed the Tramadol, because it is in conflict with another medication I'm on. The latter information about my medication was on all my pre-surgical forms. I got rolled through and along the surgical conveyer belt with all the photocopied forms outlining all the standard exercises. There was nothing very personal and heart-warming in all of this, and nothing to lead me to believe that my OS knew ME, and precisely how I would heal, and how quickly I could safely do those deep squats.

I'm not complaining. In fact, I am happy with how things have been progressing so far. But listening to my medical provider didn't carry any particular weight with me.
 
Last edited:
Personally, I just don't see the usefulness in posting the details of the workout.
But I'm the type of person who would question whether anyone really cares about the details of my workout? And my answer to myself would be, No one cares. That's just me. I understand we're all wired differently.

I want to see you succeed MrDIY. I don't want to see you hurt yourself, sideline yourself or develop chronic pain issues. I truly hope this story has a happy ending.
@MrDIY
 
Hey, it's Sunday, @MrDIY and I'm assuming you're up by now in your time zone, and probably tackling those exhausting sounding exercises. I think that posting them might be your way of "journaling" your recovery. That's what I'm using my thread for, although a lot of stuff about social activity, eating and drinking and whining about energy drain! But, whatever motivates us and keeps us rollin' along!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom