Bilateral THR I’m far 2 Hip for these lousy joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmm..Baskins and Robbins. I, however, am a strict "Baseball Nut on a sugar cone" kind of person, so no silly sundaes for me! But I agree, a sundae is much better than dipping into your daughter's candy stash, @MrDIY. And I'm assuming today is back to lifting for you? Hope it goes well, although I'm with @An54 and a lot of others, it's frankly exhausting even to just read about your workout routine! Makes one want to gently collapse on a couch somewhere with a giant ice pack. But, still, as I think we'd all agree--every recovery is different and should be tailored to the individual patient, and it's interesting to read about someone who's approach is so wildly different than mine and others.
 
and it's interesting to read about someone who's approach is so wildly different than mine and others.

"Interesting" is right. Between @MrDIY and @cheermom , I feel like I have a couple of maverick Smarties in my corner at the clubhouse who make me a bit worried. I have traced the source of my concern to a thread I ran across in the early days on this forum. I can't recall the name of the poster, but he told the story of how he was pumping away on his reps with gusto, or stretched out in some way, and his hip dislocated. Going into shock he crawled his way up a flight of stairs or something to get to the phone to call the ambulance before passing out (I've forgotten the exact details) The real visual kicker was that he posted the XRay of the dislocation--very alarming image to have seared into one's brain, as difficult to dislodge from my memory as his leg was easy to dislocate with his exercises.
 
I want to be honest, so here goes...
The burning question for me is this @MrDIY -
If you land in the ODIC, or worse, will you share that information also?

This is where I don't have a lot of faith we'll get the straight scoop. I think after committing to this
unconventional, unrealistic (to many) and therefore unsafe recovery regimen, which is opposed by a good majority, it would be difficult to admit it was a mistake. That's IF it does turn out to be a mistake.

Your legs are injured. Please try not to lose sight of that in all of the madness.

Believe it or not, I do care and don't want to see you hurt yourself or develop chronic pain issues. You're too young for that.

I'm happy to read you got out for a drive to enjoy the beautiful Autumn foliage. So gorgeous, my favorite time of year! I hope you have a nice weekend.
 
11/2/18
Day 22
Slept better last night

Had to take my son to the local university for a tour of the colleges / campus and information session. It was a lot of walking and standing, stairs etc. I didn’t really want to do it physically but I wanted to be there with him. I took and used my cane and am glad I did. We watched some videos and met with different college booths (science, engineering etc.) to get info then we toured the mechanical engineering college. It was probably an hour and half - two hours on my feet. I hadn’t had time to eat breakfast so I was really hungry. They provided lunch. After lunch was supposed to be a tour of the campus. I told my son I wasn’t up to it and that I was going to have mom pick me up. He said he can tour the campus at freshman orientation and would go get the car and pick me up. I’m pretty wiped out now and resting icing in the recliner for a bit. Took 400 mg Motrin. We’ll see how I feel after a few hours to determine if lifting today or moving to tomorrow.

Rested for 4 hours, feeling better.

Box squat 17.5”
WUp: 3x5xBW @18.75” box, 3x5xBW
3x45
Work: 3 x 5 x 60

Bench
WUp: 5x45,70,95,120; 3x150
Work: 3 x 5 x 165

DL
WUp: 5x 65,65; 3x95
Work: 5 x 110
 
Last edited:
If this were 1972, I'd exclaim: "You're freaking me out man!!" Every time I read one of your lists, I feel like I should go and have a REST on your behalf.

Lol. @An54 what part freaks you out? Is it just the lifting? Other than that I’m just walking and riding a stationary bike. A walk around the block for me is maybe a little over 5 minutes. I imagine most others are doing at least as much walking as I am?


And I'm assuming today is back to lifting for you?

That’s the plan. On a good candy note, sweet daughter declared that she doesn’t like peanut butter cups or peppermint patties (2 of my favorites) and has bequeathed all of them to me from her trove!

told the story of how he was pumping away on his reps with gusto, or stretched out in some way, and his hip dislocated.

I think it’s very important to specify and understand what exactly was being done when this occurred as well as what approach this person had. Pumping away and stretching are very different activities. Additionally both statements are extremely vague.

Also, I feel that it needs to be said that there are also examples of people who seem to “do everything right” and still have poor outcomes or have issues. There are no guarantees.
 
If you land in the ODIC, or worse, will you share that information also?


I kind of thought I was doing that already.


Experiencing typical mild soreness following a resumption of training following a layoff.


even at light weights I find myself getting winded.


Left leg still weak, still limping


Is that not what you mean? Or do you mean or worse as in, “I bent over to pick up a weight and my hip exploded, dispersing ceramic shrapnel everywhere like a only a hip level Claymore could. It killed the poor cat who was minding her own business eating at her bowl and wanted no part in the war of recovery. To be honest she is a conscientious objector to just about everything but eating. I’ll chalk it up to collateral damage though as I collapse in a heap on the ground, waiting to see what happens first; My wife checks on me or I bleed out.”


Honestly I’m not 100% sure I understand the over did it club. Is it that you did something and you are feeling some residual effects the next day? Me personally if I were to define Overdoing it, I would mean that you did something and because of that thing you were physically incapacitated Ie. incapable of doing something the following day. I like to think I am pragmatically approaching recovery. To use sun tanning as an example. I am not going out and laying in the sun for an hour and a half. If I did that, I would physically incapacitate myself. I would blister and get sick with my fair complexion. Instead I am going out for say 8 minutes the first day. Then 2 days later maybe 10 minutes, then 2 days later maybe 12 minutes etc. there is a difference between a stress that the body can adapt to and a stress that is injurious.

The dose makes the poison.

I think after committing to this

unconventional, unrealistic (to many)


Ok,


and therefore unsafe


Here’s where you loose me. Unsafe? I verified with my surgeon everything that I am doing is safe. I was specific with him and he with me. So how is it that you determine it’s unsafe? I am applying stress slowly and incrementally in small doses. I have been strength training (for health not competition) for almost a decade. I know the difference between injury and soreness. I know the approach used in my surgery and accompanying movement restrictions. I avoid those movements.


Believe it or not, I do care and don't want to see you hurt yourself


Thank you, I appreciate it.
 
Last edited:
Looking back a little, I do notice you're mentioned "winded" "fatigued" "wiped out" "limping" resting / icing etc. So I'll cut you some slack. But it seems you're engaging in activity that's causing you to feel that way. I think when I visit your thread and get a quick glance of the paragraphs with numbers of reps, lifting, pressing, squats of various types, I cringe and move on.

Maybe I'll just bypass all that and read your notes below it all going forward. I have an aversion to it, I'm sorry, it's the way I feel, but it's your recovery to do however you choose.

You mentioned "there is a difference between a stress that the body can adapt to and a stress that is injurious."
I look at it as your body IS injured, so why stress it? Show it some TLC and let it heal. That's what it's trying to do.

To me, the ODIC is suffering from accidental or deliberate over activity, sidelining / stalling your recovery for any length of time. Accidental - not knowing your boundaries. Deliberate - pushing your boundaries.

By unsafe I mean it feels risky, dangerous, possibly harmful. But again, your recovery, your way.

I still wish you well and hope you have a great recovery. I'll be watching :skep:
@MrDIY
 
So, is today a "skip all that hard stuff and just hobble around" or a "get to it, chump, there are weights in your afternoon" kind of day? I haven't been to the gym since Wednesday so maybe I'll venture there today if my husband, much more focused and virtuous than me (but also not recovering from hip surgery) decides to go. It is going to be a cold, rainy day here in the PNW so getting out of the house would be a treat for me. I will drop off muffins this morning, and get to feel like a good person, but I could also benefit from some movement. Normally, I'd whine at my husband to take me out for a walk, but I am a total fair weather exerciser and I don't walk in the rain. Have a great day!
 
@Barbaraj today will be a light day with some stationary bike and a few 5 minute walks. We don’t get much in the way of rain in the high desert so it’s been sunny and still warm enough to walk with a t-shirt in the afternoon. We do get some nasty wind though. I wouldn’t want to walk in the rain either!

Sounds like you need to open a mail order bakery for North West hippies since you like to make it and; I’m sure, smell the wonderful aroma, but don’t want to eat it. Put me down for a dozen!
:heehee:
 
:upright: :walking: :SUNsmile: Hope your day is a good one!
@MrDIY
 
Glad to hear you are doing well, my bilateral compadre.
Hope your weekend is relaxing !
 
Good morning, @MrDIY, if yesterday was a "light day" then I'm assuming today might be a bit of a workout for you. Let me sink further back in my chair with the remainder of my morning latte as I contemplate that! I do envy your weather in the high desert--sunny enough to be outside in the afternoon in a tee-shirt? Sounds heavenly. I need to pace my complaining, as here in the PNW we've just started into the dreary season and things don't really get miserable until January when, after the holiday whirl, we settle into incredibly short days, invariably rainy, cold and overcast. This morning there are actually some blue streaks outside my window and things are supposed to be decent this morning, turning to rain this afternoon. Still, I need to celebrate the wavering sunshine and live in the moment. Feeling achy this morning, and with a visit to the grands later this morning for all day babysitting, I am thinking a dose of Tylenol might be a good preventative measure. Have a great Sunday!
 
Good morning @Barbaraj, yes I will be working out today. Yesterday had more walking than I planned so I didn’t get any cycling in. I’m sitting enjoying my coffee as well. We get snow here in the winter months, though if it’s a particularly warm winter we may get an occasional rain. Have fun with the grandkids!
 
11/3/18
Day 23
Stairs x 2
Walk 2000’ x 1
Went to son’s School competition.
Walk to from parking, stairs up bleachers etc
 
11/4/18
Day 24
Not going to log stairs anymore. I don’t really have any issues with stairs. Can go up and down without using rail.

Walk 1000’ x 1
Walk 4000’ x 1

Song of day: Voices Carry, Til Tuesday
:-)

Squat 16.5” box
WUp:3x5xBW @18.75”, 3x5xBW @17.5”, 2x5xBW@16.5”, 3x50
Work: 3 X 5 X 65

Notes: wow! Lowered another inch. I’m way lower than I was able to get pre surgery, almost at a parallel squat. Also these were very difficult, felt it in the Glutes. Probably should have used same weight as last session due to increased ROM. But the weights are still light so probably doesn’t matter too much. Also I would modify my previous statement about walking. After reflecting on it I think that building up time on your feet is important. Though I still think if you are up to the point that you are walking 3-4 miles every day, there are more productive things that you could be doing. The ability to walk 3-4+ miles seems good but doing so every day seems unproductive by itself.

Press
WUp: 5x45,65; 3x85
Work: 3x5x100

DL
WUp: 5x65,65; 3x95
Work: 5x115

Notes: somewhat frustrated that limp has not resolved. I previously estimated that my left leg was a few days behind my right. It appears it’s lagging farther than that. Hoping it resolves by end of week 4. It has improved, just slower than I would like. Also having some irritation at incision on right side, likely due to rubbing from waistband of underwear. Put bandage on it to see if that helps.
 
I feel I must interject that though I don't think anyone should be doing any weightlifting this early out, John Hopkins medical institute suggests at least 6 weeks and after medical clearance...which you say you already have- they also suggest that you modify your squats after THR.

Stop your squats short of a full squat to protect your new hip joint. Decrease the range of motion and do not squat beyond 90 degrees, meaning that your thighs should not reach the parallel-to-the-ground point.


Really, really don't want you to hurt yourself.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
Squats (and with weights) are the worst for new hips, in my opinion.
 
Last edited:
You mentioned you're done logging Stairs because you're no longer having issues with Stairs.
Does that mean you're still logging squatting, pressing and dead lifting because you're still having issues
with those?
Stop the madness :hissy:
@MrDIY
 
You mentioned you're done logging Stairs because you're no longer having issues with Stairs.
Does that mean you're still logging squatting, pressing and dead lifting because you're still having issues
with those?
Stop the madness :hissy:
@MrDIY

Ok fine I will stop logging my recovery.
 
Ok fine I will stop logging my recovery.

Arggh!! @MrDIY , I am interested in your recovery; I hope you don't stop posting here. I told myself to stop commenting fretfully here on your thread like a worried old auntie. Others can do that! Hope everything continues to go well.
 
You don’t need to stop logging your recovery here.
I simply don’t understand why you feel the need to list every exercise, reps included. I’m wondering how you feel this is beneficial to anyone? Enlighten me, I’d love to understand. I’m sorry but to me it only feels braggadocios.

Do others post activity? Yes, most often how far they’ve walked. That’s about the extent of it, unless they are specifically questioned by Josephine for diagnostic purposes because they’re struggling with issues.
You can’t post details as unconventional as your recovery protocol and not expect some unfavorable feedback. It just so happens you don’t like my opinions.

I guess I would gauge interest in my recovery by volume of feedback and I’m not seeing a lot here. I am interested in updates and curious about how you’re doing. Just not interested in the Herculean bravado.

I hope all continues to go well with you and you don’t suffer any serious injury or setbacks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom