Bilateral THR I’m far 2 Hip for these lousy joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, those small but critical victories, @MrDIY, they loom so large in the recovering hippy's life! I am looking forward to a nice, long shower today now that the bandage is off and no worries about getting wet. I can well imagine that a shower yesterday felt pretty terrific. And I smiled at the comment about sort of waiting a few seconds to "set" your knee and make sure it was "happy" before moving forward. My knee doesn't bother me, but that nanosecond pause I still have when first arising from a seated position is very familiar. I try to even out my hips, stabilizing myself before I can walk. I think most folks do that for awhile. I remember a comment made by @JoeKnows, that really resonated with me--the ability to walk without thinking about it. THAT is when I will feel as if I am truly recovered. It is early days for you, and you've had a bilateral (can't even imagine how tough this must be) but think about it--how great is it going to be one day, to simply stand up and move without considering your hips or knees? That will be a true "best Christmas present ever" kind of day!
 
I am looking forward to a nice, long shower today now that the bandage is off and no worries about getting wet.

@Barbaraj enjoy that shower! I can’t wit until I can take a shower like that. They told me to wrap my thighs in Saran Wrap for showering. This is a pain, and due to the location of the incision, it doesn’t even cover the entire dressing. The dressing appears to be water proof so I’m not convinced this is necessary. It will be nice when I don’t have to do all of that so I envy you!

the ability to walk without thinking about it. THAT is when I will feel as if I am truly recovered.

Indeed. I did some more unassisted steps in the bathroom this morning, but there is definitely a lot of computation going on when I’m doing that! I imagine the room full of engineers in Houston for NASA on the Apollo missions in my head. “Ok MrDIY, we want you to place 72.5% of your body weight on your left leg, pause for 1 second, then transfer 100% to your left leg, lift your right leg 1 cm up and move it forward 4cm and then down, transferring weight evenly to both legs.”
Me, “Confirmed Houston, preparing to initiate micro step in 3, 2, 1.. initiating microstep”
 
Last edited:
Day 6
Feel ready to move to more structured recovery

Walk ~1,000 feet with crutches alternating Left Leg + Right Crutch ; Right Leg + Left Crutch
Once am
Once pm

Stationary bike
6 minutes

Other non tracking:
Several (probably 5) trips down & up stairs
Squating to and rising from chairs several times
 
You go! You are keeping me motivated!
At day 6, my standing exercises were also added. I have leg lifts to the front and to the side, squats and toe raises. 2 sets of 15 each, 2-3 times a day. This is in addition to the laying down exercises, the seated exercises (3 sets of 15, 2-3 times a day) and walking for 10 minutes every hour.
Haven't tried a bike. That is ambitious!
 
Ha, ha--I'm betting the saran wrap for your shower worked better than those stupid aqua-cells. It was so great getting in a shower the other day, a LONG shower, without having to contort myself such that I could wash and rinse without sticking my hip under the water. So nice to just stand with my face up to the shower and have the water run wherever it wanted!

And, @MrDIY, here you are already trying to do a few exercises--is this all OS approved stuff? Or are you going rogue here because who's going to stop you? I was told I could do the treadmill or the elliptical, but only for brief periods of time to start, and at the lowest level. I complied even though I felt like I was moving so s-l-o-w-l-y on the treadmill. But they didn't mention stationary bikes although they've got a ton of them at my gym. But my preferred cardio equipment was always the elliptical but felt a tad bit nervous getting back on that so did the treadmill instead. I take it you must have a stationary bike at home? We have a stair climber but now, 20+ years in, I've read that stair climbers are HORRIBLE for hips so that will be going on Craig's List once I'm back to normal. Even pre-surgery I couldn't handle it and it's been gathering dust for about 6 months now.

Glad you are starting to feel a little more "human" these days, I actually got out for a very brief while this morning upon my return from a haircut, and using my oh-so-graceful golfer's reach, I plucked out several big and offending weeds from my front garden bit. Ah, my garden areas are such a mess! Wish I could get back to some serious weeding out there but suspect it will be late next spring until I can really be effective.

Have a great day!
 
here you are already trying to do a few exercises--is this all OS approved stuff?

Yes! My OS told me that I could do anything I want just don’t hurt myself and take it slow. My walks are slow and controlled and you may notice, I only rode the exercise bike for 6 minutes. It was a slow cadence with very little resistance.

But they didn't mention stationary bikes although they've got a ton of them at my gym.

Besides walking, stationary bike was the only thing that my OS recommended specifically. He said many of his patients have reported positive results. It makes sense to me. Walking is great, however at this stage walking is still very taxing. Also walking does not move your hips through a lot of ROM. So for walking, I feel like the benefits are:
- bearing your weight will help promote bone growth and strengthen the soft tissue that surround the hip as they are all engaged during walking. This is all true up to a point. But I think when walking becomes relatively easy, it’s not a stressful enough event to further promote bone and soft tissue growth / strengthening.

I think the benefits of the stationary bike would be:
- likely less fatiguing because you are not bearing your body weight. (This is true, again until the point that walking becomes easy)
-the peddle stroke might move your hip through a wider range of motion, far more than walking does. This is likely good for generally getting the blood flowing to those muscles.


. I take it you must have a stationary bike at home?

I do! I bought a spin bike from a gym that was closing several years ago. I have a full gym in my garage. Platform, squat rack, bench, incline bench, stationary bike, sled (like if you replaced the wheels your walker with skids and added weight to it!) dumbbells, a couple of barbells and about 600lbs in weights.

Glad you are starting to feel a little more "human" these days, I actually got out for a very brief while this morning upon my return from a haircut, and using my oh-so-graceful golfer's reach, I plucked out several big and offending weeds from my front garden bit.

I’m feeling like a very slow human, but human nonetheless!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 7

1000’ walk x 2
Stairs down & up x 5

Other activities
Went out to breakfast with wife
getting in the Sequoia the first time was a little difficult, then I figured out and it wasn’t too hard after that. Sat on a hard wood chair for breakfast. Wasn’t too bad, but I was ready to get up by the time we were done. I probably wouldn’t have had any issues in a booth.

Went to store to buy slip on shoes with wife after breakfast. This involved a fair amount of walking to get from the parking lot to the shoe department. Once there I just found a place to sit and she brought some shoe to try. I wanted some new shoes without tread wear we found some slip on Sketchers that fit the bill. At this point my legs were starting to hurt a little and I was getting a bit grumpy. I have been cutting back on the pain medicine and hadn’t had any Oxycodone since midnight. I took a 5mg Oxycodone for pain when we got home and elevated and iced for an hour before going for my first of two walks.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like things are coming along great - good to see you progressing and getting out and about!
 
That trip to the store does sound exhausting, @MrDIY, kind of like my first trip to Costco with my husband where, despite the fact I wasn't walking all that fast and using the cart as my "walker", I was huffing and puffing as if in the middle of a marathon half way through the shopping excursion! I think that is the most challenging thing for me about this surgery--no real pain, or at least any that I couldn't manage--but the overwhelming "body fatigue" (AKA energy drain) which even today, as I start into my 4th recovery week, can be overwhelming. When I look at your beginning exercise routine, so early on, I am amazed--encouraged and excited for you--but it makes me tired just reading it! PS One thing you might consider is just tossing a cushion into your car so that if you go to a restaurant again with hard wooden chairs (ooh, I hate those!) you can bring that in for a bit more comfort. Have a great Friday!
 
I think that is the most challenging thing for me about this surgery--no real pain, or at least any that I couldn't manage--but the overwhelming "body fatigue" (AKA energy drain)

Yeah, when I was on my walk yesterday I noticed that I tend to tense all of my other muscles as I am walking. This is probably pretty normal, and contributes a lot to the energy expenditure which leads to “mundane” events being pretty fatiguing or at least more fatiguing than you would expect. I had to constantly remind myself to relax my shoulders and grip, let my legs do the work.

Reminded me of when I was taking flying lessons. It was a particularly turbulent, windy day, I was white knuckles on the controls. The flight instructor said, “give me the controls, I want to show you something.” He then took over and held the controls between the thumb and pointer finger of his right hand and flew that way for a few minutes while explaining that the ups and downs are going to happen, but it doesn’t take much to keep the controls where they need to be.
 
What a smart instructor, but I thought privately when I read this, "yeah, easy for you to say, dude". I loathe flying (one of those who takes a little white pill an hour before take-off), so there is no way you'd ever catch me out on a turbulent, windy (and presumably SMALL plane?) ride!

That's funny that you should mention reminding your body to relax when you walk. I can be hyper focused on walking erect to the point where my husband says I look a bit like those staggering upright zombie folks on various movies and shows, stalking along! I do need to stand up straight, but the goal is to start moving smoothly and naturally with my gait. Okay, yes, hold that gut in but RELAX! We're all going to get there sooner or later (although personally voting for much, much sooner than is probably possible).
 
Yeah, when I was on my walk yesterday I noticed that I tend to tense all of my other muscles as I am walking.
Totally normal - you have endured hip pain for so long it is almost "programmed" into your activity. Relax and don't go into a "training mode" for now. Just get that gait working and the natural rhythm of your stride. It can take awhile to get this going if you limped around for anytime pre-op. But once you get going it is magic!
 
Day 8
AM shower

Stair round trips x 5
Switched to left leg first on stair accent. My left leg is noticeably weaker than my right. Most likely due to babying it the first week.

I had left the garage gym in a state of disarray before surgery so I had to spend about a half an hour straightening up before I could do anything

Standing overhead press
3x5x65lbs

Took a break
Tylenol 1000mg
Oxycodone 5mg (last two days have been down to 3 a day weening down spaced 11-12 hours apart )
Iced/ elevated / napped for an hour and a half

Deadlift
3x5x65lbs
I couldn’t get into deadlift position before surgery. It hurt my right hip. No protest whatsoever from right hip today!

Body weight box squats to 18” bench
3x5

Stationary bike (at super easy peddling on a beautiful forest road cadence)
15 minutes

Eat lunch and back to Ice / Elevate
 
Last edited:
Deadlift
3x5x65lbs
I couldn’t get into deadlift position before surgery. It hurt my right hip. No protest whatsoever from right hip today!
I'd give your new prosthetics more time to settle in and soft tissue and such to mend before putting weight on it...
I get that this is your measure of success...and MAY not have ramifications...but just because you can doesn't mean you should.:umm:
We all recover differently and you are certainly doing remarkably.

Wishing you all the best.

Anyone else reading this...DON'T DO THIS..at 8 days out.:bignono:

Hope your weekend is restful my "both at once" pal.:)
 
I loathe flying (one of those who takes a little white pill an hour before take-off), so there is no way you'd ever catch me out on a turbulent, windy (and presumably SMALL plane?) ride!

It’s actually pretty fun and liberating especially since you are in control. Yes it was a small plane aCessna 172.

I look a bit like those staggering upright zombie folks on various movies and shows, stalking along!

We should get a bunch of us together and film “Attack of the Hippies!” It’ll be like any other zombie movie except we’ll be using walkers, crutches and canes and instead of yelling for “Brains!” we crave and call for “Ice!”
 
Mr. DIY.....I will hazard a guess that your surgeon would not be a fan of you doing deadlift weights at a mere 8 days out from a bilateral hip replacement. Please check with your surgeon before you continue this type of activity. You are putting tremendous stress on your new implant that needs time to settle in. You are not healed at this stage.

I also suggest that you read this blog from a professional power weight lifter. I'm going to guess that you are not such a professional involved with competitive lifting and are a hobbiest with weights (please forgive me if I've guessed this incorrectly). The point is that this professional, even with his extreme training and body conditioning, had the good sense to wait 8 weeks before attempting any weight training. As you read the blog, pay special attention to the comments from two doctors. One is a radiologist who talks about the cases of implant wear he's seen and the other is an orthopedic surgeon who explains how certain sports like power lifting will tend to wear a joint out prematurely.

Obviously you are free to make your own choices about your recovery and activity. And it's fine to report them here on the forum. But I hope you will understand that we will question the logic of things like this for others who come here looking for good advice about recovery. It's not that a person can't resume extreme sports after a hip replacement. But it is important that everyone allows time for their body to heal first and then works up gradually to what is a normal level of activity for them.
 
Mr. DIY.....I will hazard a guess that your surgeon would not be a fan of you doing deadlift weights at a mere 8 days out from a bilateral hip replacement.

I specifically asked my surgeon in my pre opp appointment when I could begin deadlifting, squatting, bench pressing and pressing. The questions that I asked him and his responses are on the last page of my PreOp thread (link in my signature if you are interested)
The point is that this professional, even with his extreme training and body conditioning, had the good sense to wait 8 weeks before attempting any weight training.
Well, that may be, however in his blog he mentions,
“At about two weeks post-op I was able to sit well below parallel. I would sit on the chair and use the door knob to assist me standing up until I was strong enough to stand from the below parallel position on my own. I would do as many reps as I could throughout the day to build up my endurance.”

I haven’t done any research on this individual, but based on his picture, (and his stated record lifts) he likely outweighs me by at least 100lbs (I’m 215). So at two weeks he was squatting at least 100lbs more than I am (though you are right, I am at 8 days). If he bent over and touched his toes he is essentially dead-lifting 35 pounds more than me with a 65lb bar. Every step he took from day one, was with 100lbs more weight on his prosthesis than my steps place on my prosthesis. Additionally he was doing, “as many reps as I could”. I’m doing 15 reps total which amounts to about 1 minute of total work.

I can guarantee that when he started at 8 weeks he was lifting far, far more than 65lbs. You guys are acting like I loaded up the bar with 315lbs and went full gym bro. I’m working with weights that would put my total weight (lifter + weight) still within human weight variability.
pay special attention to the comments from two doctors. One is a radiologist who talks about the cases of implant wear he's seen and the other is an orthopedic surgeon who explains how certain sports like power lifting will tend to wear a joint out prematurely.
This is another case where I asked this specific question of my surgeon, link to preOp thread in signature.

I understand everyone’s concern. I had/have the same concerns. However, I feel that I did my due diligence with my surgeon to answer these question. I have my follow up with him in 5 days. I will tell him what I have been doing and report back his response.
I have exactly 1 more session planned with weights before then, I don’t plan on increasing the weights on that session. I’m basically using the weights to add a little more stress, very briefly, to aid in recovery and move through ranges of motion.
 
I stand corrected then if you've checked all this out with your surgeon. I'm glad to hear that you are seeing him again in a few days. That should resolve any issues with what you're doing and identify any potential problems. Do ask him about the potential for more rapid wear in your new hips with the weight lifting, especially at such an early stage in recovery. I'll be curious to know his response and if he's had other patients who followed a similar recovery to what you're doing.

For the most part, I do think you've been listening to your body and adding new activity slowly to ensure you don't have pain or swelling. I hope this turns out to be a workable recovery for you. But I will always have concerns for other BoneSmarties who might feel it's THE way to go in recovery. We will need to remind folks now and then that most people do better when they allow their new joints to heal for at least several weeks before starting to push into a lot of exercise or therapy other than walking.

Everyone has their own approach to recovery. As long as yours works for you, no one can argue that it is "wrong." I do want you to be successful in getting back to your normal life again. So please accept my comments as nothing more than concern for your well being.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom