Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR I’m far 2 Hip for these lousy joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news for home!
Happy to read you made it safely home and up the steps.
I'll bet you're resting easier in your recliner without all the unwelcome hospital interruptions.
I hope today is a good one for you. Happy healing!
@MrDIY
 
@MrDIY Congratulations on your bilateral surgery and pin removal! Sorry you had a rough time after surgery with the nausea, but that is behind you now . So glad you are at home, are in your recliner and are on ice! Let the healing begin :)

Wishing you a comfortable as possible day. Ice, rest and stay on a schedule with your pain meds. Thinking of you and sending lots of positive vibes your way! :SUNsmile:
 
Good morning, @MrDIY Hope you're opening your eyes on a better and easier day today. Getting a good medication schedule is key at this point, I would think especially with a bilateral. I know you're just starting out, but it's going to get better quite soon, I hope. Be comfortable.
 
So Last night was a little rough. I thought I would try 5mg Oxycodone since I had been on 5mg every 5 hours or so all day. This was insufficient. I couldn’t get comfortable in the recliner so moved to my daughters bed. She was sleeping with mom and her bed is nice and high. We had the aero bed inflated but while I think I could get into it, I think I would have a hard tome getting out at this stage. Spent a few hours in daughters bed mostly not sleeping. Alarm went off for my 1000mg Tylenol at 1:30 am and I took that and another 5mg oxy. Called my son downstairs and asked him to come help me. good thing having a 17 year old in the house, he was still awake. I decided to move back to the recliner. Had him put a sheet over it and get me two fresh ice pouches. He helped get me settled and was very sweet. Finally was able to drift off at around 2:30 woke up at about 5 or so and called wife she replaced the isle pouches with fresh ones. She had to get up at 6 to take my younger son to a school competition so I took another 5mg Oxycodone at around 6:20am and was able to go back to sleep for another 2 hours.

I knew from reading that the first 5 days are the roughest. I decided that I will be better off with 10 mg Oxycodone at bedtime and I think I figured out how to get comfortable in the recliner. Sleep and nutrition being very important to recovery. I did also notice that my heart rate has been elevated running about 114 BPM. I suppose that is also pretty normal trying to get oxygen to the cells for repair processes. The ice is very helpful i need to get on a more regular schedule with that.
 
Good morning, @MrDIY Hope you're opening your eyes on a better and easier day today. Getting a good medication schedule is key at this point, I would think especially with a bilateral. I know you're just starting out, but it's going to get better quite soon, I hope. Be comfortable.

Yes the medication schedule I’m finding is important. But also the ice schedule! Trying to layout a schedule to get up and walk then switch to fresh ice when done maybe every hour and a half or so. My wife has been dialing in the medication schedule.
 
Last edited:
@MrDIY Congratulations on your bilateral surgery and pin removal! Sorry you had a rough time after surgery with the nausea, but that is behind you now . So glad you are at home, are in your recliner and are on ice! Let the healing begin :)

Wishing you a comfortable as possible day. Ice, rest and stay on a schedule with your pain meds. Thinking of you and sending lots of positive vibes your way! :SUNsmile:

Thank you @Alitm the nausea is gone. I’m finding the inflammation to be the most pressing problem that I need to stay on top of. While in the hospital they were injecting me with anti inflammatories on a regular schedule. Now that I am home I only really have ice to control swelling so focusing on that.
 
Last edited:
Oh, dear, @MrDIY, how quickly I've forgotten that horrid swelling/inflammation. Icing is wonderful for that in addition to meds and, although it wasn't ever comfortable for me, some folks have recommended elevating as well. Fortunately, after a fairly short period of time the swelling went down and--knock on wood--thus far no bruising has shown up. I wish the same for you. These first few days will be a bit of a roller coaster ride, I'm guessing, but you will figure things out. Glad to hear your wife is there and helping with all the confusion of getting medications regulated.
 
PS Great to hear that your son has been helpful so far as well, nice!
 
Just a friendly reminder as you tweak your medication - don't forget about taking something to "keep things moving" - if you know what I mean. People often forget about that part until it's too late, and then it's :flabber:
 
Just a friendly reminder as you tweak your medication - don't forget about taking something to "keep things moving" - if you know what I mean. People often forget about that part until it's too late, and then it's :flabber:

Thanks @dlp yes I’ve been taking softener a couple of times a day since. Nothing yet but I didn’t really eat anything day of surgery. I also took some psyllium husk powder last night and am planning on some broccoli for lunch so fingers crossed.
 
@MrDIY think about icing whenever you are reclining really, thats what I did in the first few weeks, and it was amazing how much it helped. Hard to have enough ice packs with bilateral...but I'm sure you have plenty. Did you get an ice machine?
 
Welcome to the other side. The icing really helps and I got very little bruising. Good that your family are drawing up a meds timetable for you, that is so important.
Loved your pre op report re the alcohol and timing of the op. Your sense of humour will really help you.
Best of luck for your recovery!
 
I have a little tip that I discovered today. My recliner (Lay-Z-Boy brand) rocks when in the normal seated position. Up until today I have been sitting in it fully reclined at all times. I was having some pain after walking when I got back to the recliner today and for some reason decided not to extend the foot rest. After a few minutes I just naturally started rocking by leaning forward slightly and then sitting back slightly (feet not touching the ground) I continued this for about an hour and found it very therapeutic. If you use your feet on the ground to rock it would also double as ankle pumps. After 10 minutes I was quite relaxed and pain free! I’ll take what I can get where I can get it. Being thankful for this little discovery.
 
The icing really helps and I got very little bruising.

I totally agree. Though I had some moderate bruising on my left hip starting on the same day of surgery. My right has been bruise free! That’s great that you have had very little bruising.

Best of luck for your recovery!

Thank you so much @SurreyGirl . I hope your recovery is going smoothly!
 
Thanks! I definitely put the lack of bruising down to constant icing. I ice less now but if I get swelling after exercise the packs go straight back in!
 
Hard to have enough ice packs with bilateral...but I'm sure you have plenty. Did you get an ice machine?

No I did not get an ice machine. I ordered 4 gel packs from amazon that work really well. I would like to have 2 more to rotate through though because I have found that if I swap them out too soon the others aren’t cold enough yet.
 
Last edited:
I rocked with my recliner too.
Yep, can't have enough ice:ice:

I truly sympathize with these first days and it's struggles.
All temporary and well worth it
:ok:
 
Hi there :wave:
Hope today is a good day!
Agree about the ice. It was my constant companion.
Enjoy your recliner and rocking when the mood strikes.
@MrDIY
 
Duh, @MrDIY, posted something for you on another thread, but tagged you so you should find it if you check your alerts. Anyway, another day, another step along the recovery way! Have a good one.
 
@MrDIY Getting the right amount of ice packs is essential! Hope you are having a relatively comfortable day...such early days...the first weeks are a bit of a blur when you look back at it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom