Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR I’m far 2 Hip for these lousy joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MrDIY Getting the right amount of ice packs is essential! Hope you are having a relatively comfortable day...such early days...the first weeks are a bit of a blur when you look back at it.

Thanks @Alitm today at so far has been a little better than yesterday. My last walk around upstairs felt better than my walks yesterday. My knee flexion and extension is feelin pretty good. Progress!
 
@MrDIY Great news. :yes!: on progress! It really is so encouraging to start to feel the differences! Yay!

I can't stress enough to really listen to your body. Everyone is different, and we come into surgery with different fitness levels and ages etc. However, I have to share that I got so excited at week two, once I moved onto crutches, that I had three days in a row of way too much activity, and spent four days recovering from major energy drain....it isn't worth it, I promise! Try not to even chat with the ODIC welcome committee :heehee: . They are sneaky you know whats!
 
How's it going this morning, @MrDIY? It's the start of a new week and I'm hoping to see a post that says you're feeling positive this morning, with icing, rest and appropriate pain meds all coming together to make you feel you're doing well and moving ahead. And take those small steps, like a short walk, as victories to be celebrated. For awhile it seems like progress is agonizingly slow on a day to day basis, but looking back weekly and making sure you give yourself a pat on the back EVERY SINGLE TIME you accomplish something you didn't do the day before helps to keep your spirits up. I think a good chunk of recovery is mental as well as physical. Have a good day!
 
How's it going this morning, @MrDIY? It's the start of a new week and I'm hoping to see a post that says you're feeling positive this morning, with icing, rest and appropriate pain meds all coming together to make you feel you're doing well and moving ahead. And take those small steps, like a short walk, as victories to be celebrated. For awhile it seems like progress is agonizingly slow on a day to day basis, but looking back weekly and making sure you give yourself a pat on the back EVERY SINGLE TIME you accomplish something you didn't do the day before helps to keep your spirits up. I think a good chunk of recovery is mental as well as physical. Have a good day!

Today is going pretty well. I stepped down my morning pain med to 5mg and i’m doing ok. Took another shower and had a much easier time getting in and out. Felt worth the effort this time! Switched to crutches for getting around, I can maneuver easier with the crutches. I may try going downstairs in a bit :yikes:

I practiced on a step in our bathroom a little to prepare. It would be nice to be able to go walk outside. Walk to the Gazebo and sit outside for a bit.
 
Well, I decided to make the attempt to go down the stairs and visit the bottom floor. Used one crutch and the rail. 14 steps down to the landing then 2 more to get down to the kitchen, dining room, living room level. Took it slow and steady and made it down ok! Walked a couple of laps around the bottom floor, went into the kitchen and poured some prune juice. Then told the wife, to her horror, that I was headed back upstairs. “You just got down here!” Yeah, but all of the chairs and the couch down here are too low, I’d rather rest in the recliner! The trip up was a little slower. I stopped to take a break twice. Lifting my leg is still difficult and takes some effort. Very glad I was able to do it. My left knee is really what is holding me back. If not for that, I could probably be walking around unassisted. Gonna elevate and ice my knee now.
 
Hey, @MrDIY, celebrate those little victories--up and down stairs--remarkable!
 
Hey, @MrDIY, celebrate those little victories--up and down stairs--remarkable!

Thank you @Barbaraj!

Today has been pretty good.
I did another round trip down stairs and back. I finally got some ROI from the stool softeners, fiber, veggies and prune juice. I think it was the prune juice that sealed the deal... or unsealed the deal as it were.

I decided to try to wrap my left knee with an ACE bandage to see if that helps.
 
My knee has been bugging me on the op leg. :ice::ice::ice: extra doses has really helped. Hope that sorts out for you soon...you've had a good day in every way!! Awesome!
 
Great job...yep down definitely easier than up!:umm:
Slow and easy...and I certainly get the recliner love!
Stay slow and easy and you will be happy for it.
When all this recovery business is through...and you don't overdo during early days...you shall be good as new!:ok:
 
Oh, MrDIY, thankfully I never had to deal with constipation. I was so paranoid when I got home from the hospital I was swilling Miralax for two days and getting quick relief. But I fairly quickly weaned off narcotics and things settled out on their own without further intervention. I still have half a bag of dried prunes left, guess I will be scouring my cookbooks for recipes. I actually don't mind prunes (consider them giant and softer raisins) but enough is enough--thinking maybe some sort of prune loaf? Anyway, glad to read that today's been pretty good, and maybe that ace bandage with help with your knee discomfort.
 
Day 5
Slept good last night. I have been tapering the pain medicine over the last few days. Starting with 10mg Oxycodone every 4.5 hours the third day. Then increasing the spacing to 5 hours the 4th day then 10mg at bedtime and 5mg every other time yesterday spaced out at least 5 hours (at least because I set a timer and then when it went off I knew I could take one but often waited another hour or so).

it’s currently been 6 hours since I’ve taken any pain meds and I feel fine so far.

Got dressed, shoes and socks, unassisted. Made it downstairs on one crutch (rails are too far apart) carrying the other crutch in my crutch hand. Was actually pretty easy. Previous stair attempts involved my wife shuttling the unused crutch up and down for me but I want to be less dependent on her (for the both of our benefits)

Opened the door and walked down the driveway and to the end of the street and back using crutches like you would use a cane, left leg down while right crutch down. This allowed me to vary the weight on my left knee and experiment with gate length etc. probably about 800ft each way. Got back and did two sets of 5 air squats at kitchen chair.
 
glad to read that today's been pretty good, and maybe that ace bandage with help with your knee discomfort.

Thanks @Barbaraj. The ACE bandage gives a little support via compression and overall warms the joint. I just went for a walk without it but may put it back on for later walks.
 
Whoa--great day #5 report, @MrDIY! Amazing that you're actually able to put on shoes and socks already! I have good forward flexion so the left, unoperated leg is easy but I am really having to nervously strain for the right side, and still need my husband to get me started sometime. Also great to see that you are being able to modify your medication regimen successfully. I managed that reasonably well, just one stupid mistake where I forgot to set my alarm for a 2:00 AM Tramadol dose--ouch--but am off all narcotics now and just taking Tylenol in the morning and/or evening, depending upon stiffness. You are doing terrific--just keep it up!
 
Amazing that you're actually able to put on shoes and socks already!

I was amazed myself in the hospital when we were getting ready to leave I was able to bend forward and tie my shoes with my feet flat on the floor! No way I could have done that before the operation! Putting on shoes and socks was always an ordeal!

I am really having to nervously strain for the right side, and still need my husband to get me started sometime.

I can bend over fine, it’s the lifting my legs to get my feet into things that is still difficult.

You are doing terrific--just keep it up!

Thank you @Barbaraj , you too!
 
Last edited:
Evening update day 5
I ended up taking another 5mg Oxycodone at 1:30pm this was 8 hours after my last one. I was starting to have some pain though. Wasn’t until later that my wife pointed out that I had missed my Tylenol. She had to work a little today so I was on my own after 1 until about 2:30 when kids got home.

Daughter has a school concert this evening and oldest son has work. I’m alone with my 14 year old. I decided I wanted to take a shower because I was feeling gross. Laying around has that effect in me!. So I texted him to come do his homework in our bedroom and listen for a crash. Got all prepped and was able to shower by myself. I AM GOING TO BE IN SO MUCH TROUBLE!
:good-bad:

after the shower I had my son put my crutches by my bed. I was able to walk unassisted from my dresser to the bed! :yes!:.
It wasn’t pretty. I have to kind of hobble and make sure my left knee is “happy” before I briefly put any weight on it. It was only about 12 feet but I realized I could probably do it while I was standing in the shower and doing 12 point turns to get from the chest facing the water to the back facing the water.
Little victories!
 
@MrDIY Ah but those little victories add up and soon will be major triumphs ... been there, done that, got the matching scars to prove it :egypdance: I remember well those first unassisted strolls across my rather small kitchen and the feeling of accomplishment that engendered. Sounds like you are doing very well indeed!
 
@MrDIY Awesome progress! I'm jealous of the ease of putting on socks :heehee: . SO weird, I could bend over and tie my laces pre-op, but couldn't lift my legs up to get my socks on and still can't... Not sure when all that second part will come with the posterior approach, but it will eventually. The sock aid works well post op, but I long to put my socks on "naturally" LOL!! I'll live vicariously through your accomplishment if you don't mind! Really so pleased for you! The simple things in life! :yes!:
 
:tada:It is exhilarating to discover though we have lots of surgery trauma to recover from, that in the near future we will be hip pain free and ready to get on with life.

Got back and did two sets of 5 air squats at kitchen chair.
Stop that! :no-fin:
Not necessary, too early, and unhelpful.
Just because we can, doesn't mean we should!
Don't make me worry for you already...not even one week out.:sigh:

Yay for shower, now assume the position.:ice:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom