TKR I’m baffled by this

Wanted to provide update. Saw Ortho Doc for 6 wk check-up today. I am still struggling with high levels of pain. PT helps the stiffness but then it takes me a day to recover. Can only take one stair at a time. Flexion is good and holding my leg straight is good. Xrays show leg is straight. But I’m in pain. He refilled my hydrocodone (although I didn’t need it yet) and wants me to alternate that with Tramadol until I can wean myself off the hydrocodone. I am trying to go six hours between pain meds but the pain is almost unbearable at hour five. He also started me on an anti-inflammatory. Pain still wakes me up nightly. I’m elevating and alternating heat/ice. I was not released to go back to work. I am making small improvements but holy cow I’m sick of being in pain!

Still having high levels of pain. PT helps with stiffness and actually provided some pain relief last week but it takes me forever to recover from exercises. Biofreeze gel feels good too as a topical cream and I do a lot of massage. I’m taking more time off work until I’m past the point of suffering.

Tell me this does get better!
 
Thank you Josephine! Glad to hear I’m doing too much cause I was feeling like a lazy slug and like I should be doing more. I’m in my 6th week and am going to have to go back to work soon

I'm just wondering Wilsomasan, what's your time scale on returning to work?
With my first surgery, I pushed my physio as I had a 12 week window before I had to return to work. I have a physical job, on my feet 10 hrs a day and heavy lifting so thought by working harder and putting in extra gym sessions to strengthen the knee would benefit my recovery............. HUGE MISTAKE!
All I succeeded in doing was causing myself a load of pain I didn't need and actually ended up setting myself back by a month because of it. I had to have 3 weeks of doing just day to day tasks, no physio and no exercise until the knee settled down again and only then could I resume very simple exercise. Its a mistake I've learned from as I now almost 7 weeks on from my second surgery, TKR on my other knee and I've taken it at a much more sensible pace this time. I've found there are certain exercises this time that don't help me at all, others that work very well for me personally. I do extra gym sessions besides my physio but again, I take great care not to overdo it. I listen to what my knee is telling me, probably the best piece of advice I've taken from these forums. I've had a couple of niggling problems with my kneecap but that is beginning to clear a little now too so it's not always the case after these surgeries that more is better. It's usually the opposite
 
You're doing fine. All your updates have posted correctly in your own recovery thread.

We do have a section here, to help people who are having problems negotiating BoneSmart -
Lots of useful "How to . . ." articles there:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/how-to-use-this-forum.74/

I am making small improvements but holy cow I’m sick of being in pain!
It's still very early in your recovery.
Do take Josephine's advice and cut your activity right back. That will help to decrease the pain. Spensd as much time as you can resting, icing and elevating your leg. Ice is a great pain-killer and elevating will help to reduce the swelling that increases pain.
I’m taking more time off work until I’m past the point of suffering. Tell me this does get better!
Yes, things will get better, as time passes.
Don't try to rush things. It takes a full year for complete recovery, although you will feel heaps better long before that.

We usually recommend that you take about 12 weeks off work after a knee replacement and then do a
Phased return to work - if possible. Trying to do too much, too soon, will increase your pain, so don't do that.
 
Chilimac, I’m supposed to go back to work after six weeks. That is standard for surgery I think. I am going to call on Monday and see what my options are. I don’t wanna be miserable every day.

Celle, thanks for the links and the advice. I really appreciate you guy’s support and encouragement. It helps a lot!
 
Went back to work at 8 weeks, have a worked from home desk job. No way I could work at 6 week. I was on short term disability, just call the company that handled my STD, they extended my leave 2 additional weeks, no questions asked. If I didn’t work from home it would of been hard. I took naps during my lunch time, elevated and iced during my work day. Wish you luck, hope you get a positive response.
 
Chilimac my dr did say six weeks but I have to see how it will affect me financially and insurance wise. I’ll know Monday.

Mutti3 I would be happy if I can tolerate the pain by 8 wks! That would be great! I’m glad to hear I shouldn’t be fully recovered by 6 wks.
 
I’m supposed to go back to work after six weeks. That is standard for surgery I think.
No it is NOT! My recommendation (as an occupational health nurse) was return to work at 12 weeks followed by Phased return to work. This was what I did for my first knee and no way could I have done anything different. (By knee #2 I was retired, thank God!)
 
Six weeks is standard for many surgeries, like most abdominal surgeries. I think that's why so many people expect they'll be good to go by six weeks, because they're thinking surgery = six weeks. But TKR is completely different!

I wish medical teams would make clearer that a longer time off would be best. Twelve weeks (as Josephine details above) is good for most, all but the most physical jobs. Eight weeks is less optimal but for some jobs is all right. The rare person who works only from home can sometimes return to work a little sooner, but they're probably not really in shape to give their best work. I know I wasn't!
 
Wilsomsasan I’d love to see a Doctor return to work 6 weeks after TKR surgery !!!! I’d be willing to bet my house on them changing their mind after that episode whether they have a desk based job or a physical job.
 
Sistersinhim you're exactly right. I've discussed this with my surgeon. He's a very highly respected Trauma and Orthopaedic surgeon, held in very high regard by the BMC and he stated it takes around 12 weeks just for the soft tissue and bone to heal fully from the trauma after TKR surgery. Add to that all the muscle wastage pre surgery, needing to rebuild all that strength and regain ROM and mobility, I'd be inclined to think he's pretty much on the ball and 6 weeks is totally unrealistic. I wonder if patients given that advice who do return to work and struggle through are just storing up problems for later on?
Of course there will be exceptions but I simply cannot see how it could really do any good.
 
I had no idea it would continue to hurt this long. I got extra time off. Just hope it doesn’t end up costing a fortune. My insurance is $700.00 a month! I got to get out today and am actually wearing summer clothes. At home it’s sweats. Sunshine sure is good for what ails you! Is anyone else still on pain meds after six weeks? I can’t imagine being without them at this point.
 
You're not alone. Many people are still taking pain meds at six weeks, though often on a reduced schedule. But if you need them, that's why you have them. Every person is different!

Surgeons and medical teams often give a too-rosy picture of quick recovery. My surgeon (a wonderful man) told me I would be pretty much back to normal by three months. I had a really good recovery and... it was longer than three months before I felt back to normal. What they consider back to normal and what we consider back to normal are very different things, I think. :what:
 
Thanks for the response Susie. Why don’t doctors tell you what you are in for? Maybe other people recover faster. I don’t know why I sure ain’t gonna punish myself for hurting. I am taking pain meds on a lesser schedule. Every 6 to 8 hrs though some days I can’t make it past 5. Tramadol during the day and hydrocodone at night. I’m making improvements slowly but surely.
 
Why don’t doctors tell you what you are in for?

I honestly think they don't know. Most OS have no first hand experience of TKR (or most joint replacements). Most likely never have had major surgery of any kind. Imagining pain, or hearing their patients tell about it, is very different from feeling it firsthand. Same with the exhaustion caused by this surgery. Just take me, for example: When I talked with my surgeon post-op, at six weeks, I never once mentioned how exhausted I'd been, and still was. It just didn't occur to me to say anything when we were talking about my knee function, and pain (still some), and knee things. Exhaustion is more of a whole body thing and, well, it never came up.

Surgeons and medical teams are focused on the knee (or other joint) and other aspects of recovery get overlooked.

I’m making improvements slowly but surely.

Those little improvements add up and pretty quickly become major strides forward. :egypdance:
 
I will briefly share my OS experience. Was told the first weeks the pain would be terrible. At the one month follow up, I was talking about my night time pain, his response: that is what the pain medication is for, take it. When i discuss my fatigue and could not go back to work at 6 weeks, no problem with my leave extended.

I know and understand there are vast differences treatments and attitudes. I can truly say I definitely know. It is not easy to discuss post op care when you really don’t know what to ask. That is why forum like Bonesmart give excellent information.
 
Last edited:
Well today was the first time I’d slept through the night without being wakened by pain and having to get up at 4:00 a.m. I felt pretty darned good and my pain level was very low. Got dressed and went to town with hubby for his birthday lunch. Left at 11:00 and I was wiped out by 1:00. Took two Tramadol and sat in the car while he went in the store. Knee was hurting too much to walk. By the time we got home the back of my leg ached all the way up to my butt. I am currently elevating my knee and icing it. Ugh!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom