BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Husband of a late-August BTHR, looking for support.

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by TangoGunn, Aug 12, 2019.

1. TangoGunn

TangoGunn new member

United States United States
    Got time for a strange question: How long before my wife should be driving herself around in her car? Is that months after? Weeks after? I have no sense of the recover times involved (ohh and every one of these responses has been super helpful, I'm just clumsy on the builten board format. I'm not even on Facebook. So thanks everybody that can see this!

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 senior

New hippies may be able to shower in a tub.. There is a big IF or two.. You need a handheld shower and permission from the surgeon.. I am allowed to shower if I do not get the bandage wet and have a hand held shower to allow that. Then the transfer seat would be handy if all those permissions work and you have a tub.. I just have a walk in shower with a seat
    That said I have no idea how difficult this would be for a double hippy to use!

The driving timetable? There is none.. She would want to be off the narcotic pain meds.

My handbook says two to four weeks but that is for a single hip.. Don't forget the trash bag on the seat.. It makes getting in the car and pivoting to face forward easier

This is again something your joint class should be addressing and just ask if its not covered.

• Like Like x 5
  3. djklaugh

djklaugh post-grad

@TangoGunn My surgeon said no driving for about 6-8 weeks. Once hip precautions are lifted (if your surgeon does impose those - some surgeons do, some do not) AND not taking any narcotic pain meds during the day time ... then one can drive. For me that was at about 6 weeks post-op. But do discuss this with your surgeon!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

She will find there is lots that ...just because you can, doesnt mean she should.
    I drove at approximately 5 weeks but it was a short, light traffic trip to and fro my work.
    I didnt like it...made me nervous...

• Like Like x 3
  5. InkedMarie

InkedMarie graduate

So sorry I should have explained. Yes, to shower. Your wife is having bilateral THR and may not feel ready to stand. With that transfer bench, she can sit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. InkedMarie

InkedMarie graduate

I took a shower with the bandage on a day or two after I got home from the hospital. This was in my discharge instructions.

7. zauberflöte

zauberflöte alpha

Hip Hip Hooray for walk-in showers! I had one for first hip, and it was very easy. Second hip, it's a low bathtub. I have both a transfer bench and a shower chair left over from hubby's mother, but the bench was too big for the bathtub! I tried the chair for one night, but it was so awkward trying to deal with water, adjusting shower head, soap, washcloth, that I put it back away again. You bet I had hubby close by for those early showers, both hips!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@InkedMarie I think you misread Jaycey’s post above. She said not to bathe in a bathtub.
    Showering, if approved by the surgeon is acceptable.
    Many of our members showered with that wonderful waterproof bandage in the first post op days.
    Ooh the feeling of that first shower!
    I used the transfer bench and was so grateful for it,, my tub/shower insert was a real bear to attempt stepping over!
    To be sure though, it’s a definite no to soaking/washing in a bathtub until the incision is fully healed.
    @TangoGunn hopefully you have a walk-in shower but the hospital staff will help your wife navigate things and will make sure she has the aides to deal with whatever setup you have.
    You are doing well to be thinking of these things in advance.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @TangoGunn Your wife should not drive until she is released to do so by her surgeon. This usually happens after the first post op followup appointment. But do ask at any pre-op classes. Every surgeon has a different protocol.

10. InkedMarie

InkedMarie graduate

11. zauberflöte

zauberflöte alpha

@TangoGunn ditto what Jaycey said. You HAVE to be off narcotics for safety, and it will also depend on which leg you had done. Left is problematic for stick shift.
    I started with tiny nervous drive-lets at 5 weeks with my first hip, and have a. Possibly false memory of being ready to drive short errands at two weeks with the second. I do know I wasn't nervous about driving with the second.
    How about you count on doing all the driving for a couple of months, and if it's shorter you'll be pleasantly surprised ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Morning @TangoGunn. Just popped by to see how your wife and you are doing. It is alot to take in and digest in a short amount of time. We try to keep it simple and encouraging here so not to overload the mind. Hope to hear from both of you soon and definitely how the pre op classes go. Take care, rest easy knowing we are here 24/7 for you both. :SUNsmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  13. TangoGunn

TangoGunn new member

Thanks for checking in, julesglass (and everyone else) - I'm still not sure how this BB works, in that I'm unsure if everyone can see everything I post, etc... I assume everyone can see everything. We took a trip to the local medical equipment rental place, here in town, yesterday - that was very helpful. I'm trying to decide if this is the right toilet seat for her, or if I should get the one that looks just like this, but then has your own toilet seat mounted on top of that, with long bolts. She's 5'5" and 120lbs. This seat looks fine to me, but any input would be welcome (see photo attached). I also wonder if I can get away with this $80 walker (see photo attached), which she practiced with a little, yesterday, in the store. We're thinking we will rent a fully electric bed, but we're not sure about the lift chair, which is as much money as the bed. Finally, and again, only because I don't know for sure that everyone see these posts. Please, if not, pass along our sincere appreciation for all the feedback... it's very VERY helpful. More than can be seen or expressed on here... I'm a fixer, so every new piece of information I get back is fully incorporated into the solutions matrix. all data (of all variety) is welcome.

Attached Files:

14. TangoGunn

TangoGunn new member

We do have a large walk-in shower in the master b/r. But see?... reading all of these really great posts has me thinking that I might want to replace the existing shower head which is up high, with a wand-type spray head, that will allow her to more precisely put the water where she wants it. We are finding every post on here of tremendous help.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. TangoGunn

TangoGunn new member

Our current plan is to have the rented fully electric bed in the basement (which is no-stairs - straight in from garage) for the first week-10days (her call). There's a toilet in the basement but no shower). The plan continues that once she can manage the front steps to the house say 3-4 times per day, then I will move the rented bed, upstairs to the main floor, where she'll have access to more of the house (kitchen, showers, maybe the lift chair, if we get that, too.)

16. TangoGunn

TangoGunn new member

One final question for the day: I see several people on here have their own "recovery story" threads going. Is that something we are expected to keep?... is this a sort of "running-journal?" Something we can offer the next group or individuals? What is expected here, please?

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 senior

That seat might work but what height is your toilet? I am your wife's height and with the new 17 inch toilet we have now ( the old was 14 inches) my feet would not touch the ground..
    The walker is the kind with handbrakes that requires training and mental acuity to engage them properly.. Its not as stable as the old fashioned seatless walkers. The ones with two wheels in front only.. While she is on meds she may not be coordinated and the walker is to give stability.. Its not usually used long term. And the fully wheeled seat walkers may not be accepted by your surgeon or hospital.. If I were to show up with that I would not be discharged until it was replaced. Your hospital may vary of course.

You can adapt shower heads easily with a trip to the hardware store.. Ours can be fixed in a clamp or mobile.

No joint class yet? Ours had resources where you could borrow what you needed as its all relatively short term. This is tough for you making last minute decisions for sure; all the pressure is on you and your wife and frankly that is something that is not fair.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    No expectations. But a recovery thread is a very valuable tool for several reasons. First, it's a running commentary on just how far you have come post op. There are times when we feel like we have hit a plateau in recovery. Truth is there are no plateaus - just a lot of healing going on. It does help to be able to look back and see how far you have come.

Second, recovery threads help those members considering surgery or just entering the recovery phase. It's very comforting to read real stories of what really goes on during this process.

Finally, your wife will share her recovery with other members going through exactly the same issues. She might even share a surgery date with other members in the August hip group. Sharing her experiences and concerns helps everyone and may ease her mind.

Has she considered taking over this thread yet?

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Good morning @TangoGunn. So glad to hear you two went window shopping. The toilet riser needs to be secure, not have any wiggle room. I went with a bedside commode that would also fit over the toilet. This was due to distance between the bed and bathroom. I had bladder control issues after surgery for a short time and couldn't get to the bathroom in time. If you go with the one in the picture I would suggest getting some depends men's bladder control pads to ensure she stays comfortable getting to the toilet. Alot of us women have found the men's boxer briefs are more comfortable to wear due to no elastic around legs found in women's underwear. I used the standard front wheeled walker with the tennis balls on the back legs, easy to glide along. You'll want a grabber for her to reach anything she might drop. It would be nice to have something on the walker that she could put things in like water bottle, travel mug for coffee, snacks, tissues and meds. You get the idea so she has some independence when you are unavailable. My OS office did supply a bag of recovery goodies for a very small price prior to surgery. It included a nice grabber, long shoe horn, shower sponge on a long handle and an aide for putting on socks. The lift chair I hear is very nice, I didn't rent one myself. I bought a recliner with enough room to be able to put ice packs where needed, pillows and comfy to sleep in. Ensure the lever is easy reach and doesn't require too much strength to operate. Also the height of the seat is important to ensure no bending forward to get up or down. This is alot i know, however these little things will help your wife get through recovery more confidently. You are doing the posting here just fine. It is seen by all, others will chime in with ideas from their experience. If you do wish to speak to anyone of us directly put their name in as I did for you. Take care, rest easy knowing we are here for you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@TangoGunn. Check out what you may be eligible for through your insurance. I think your pre op class will be able to tell you. The hospital OT gave me an RX for a portable potty that also fit over the toilet AND sent me hone with a nice walker with wheels in the front.
    And this kind of walker is more stable in the beginning.
    Tell your wife we say “hey” :hi:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019