TKR HTO/TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this bruising is common with hto or the tkr or the combo.
I can not speak about the HTO, but I can tell you that both of my knees, after the BTKR, were an excellent example of technicolor! It looked like both knees were involved in a street brawl, which, metaphorically, they were!
 
Minor setback, developed a sore, red spot above ankle today. Went to os just to check
And he gave me an antibiotic for celletis. Tenderness and tightness in the ankle area. First bump on my recovery road.
 
Hi Claire ... Just read through all your posts. I had to google "HTO" as I had no idea what it was. I couldn't believe you had both done together. I gather the object is to heal the HTO part before recovering the TKR???? :scratch:

I am glad you managed to find the right mix of the meds for you and that you love your new straight knee. The colourful legs are all part of a TKR and probably the HTO. I remember being amazed at the colours on front and back of my leg and that just below my ankle along the edge of my foot was black and purple. I know now it is just the effect of gravity and the blood flow, but I was amazed at how much further down my leg the bruising was when it was my knee that was operated on. :shrug:

Wishing you the best for a great recovery and hopefully the HTO will be recovered well and quickly and then you can move onto the TKR recovery.

All the best and take care Claire ...
Ellen :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you Ellen
I have read through your recovery and found that we have some things in common. I also injured my knees through sports, as I was a competitive gymnast way back when. I also have a "good" leg which is bone on bone but no where near as damaged as the one I just had done. You are correct in that my hto must heal 3-6) weeks, then in can start rehabbing this new knee of mine. I am only allowed to do gentle leg straightening and gentle leg bending exercises until hto fusion occurs.
How awesome is it that we can share our stories through this amazing website?
 
Is tightness in calf common.? I may have bee a little over zealous
In my ankle pumps!
 
Confused about ankle pain and bruising around inner ankle. Did anyone else experience this or maybe it is the straightening of the tibia during the hto.
 
Most likely it was caused by the surgeon during the operation. He would have need to grasp your leg fairly firmly at that point to get it into the position he wanted it to be. So between grasping it and manoeuvring it, bruising and after pain would be fairly inevitable, I'm afraid. Have you tried icing it? Or using witch-hazel as suggested here Bruising after surgery.
 
Hi Claire ... Well, I didn't have a HTO and I had incredible bruising around my inner ankle and along the side of the foot from heel to about half-way. The ankle was tender, without being really sore. I did have a tight calf as well, but that seems to have resolved. I also had a very sore shin, especially when touching it to rub in moisturiser and that is still very sensitive to touch. From what I gathered from stories on the forum and what I was told by PT in hospital is that it is a combination of the bruising and tenderness moving down with gravity pulling it down. I found it very hard to believe my toes were bruised when the operation was on my knee. :shocked:

:heehee: Just read Josephine's response. Makes much more sense than my explanation.

Hope the HTO recovery goes well and swiftly, so you can concentrate on your shiny new knee.

Take Care and be kind to yourself ...
Ellen :flwrysmile:
 
OS made several comments about foot "being on straight now" while in hospital, so I think it did require some manipulation. Even the bottom of my foot and instep are bruised and I am not even weight bearing. That ankle was giving me more pain than my knee pre-surgery and now it continues to give me grief. I know I must be positive but I would not be surprised if the ankle also needs some work done. Mustn't
Think that way! Staples came out and got to see an X-ray yesterday. More metal in this knee then I ever could have imagined! Plates, screws, bolts, not to mention the new knee. Had to stop looking at it, as it was making me queasy! My daughter took me out in a wheelchair today and I got to "walk" my 3 year old golden for the first time post op, heavenly!
 
Terrible night! Woke every 2 hours in pain. What is with that? How can pain double at night? I have to sleep with large brace that is comfy during the day but feels like sandpaper at night! I hover around a 3 all day long but at night pain is more like a 7! I realized I could activate quads yesterday, maybe did too many? Ankle region is still so sore, again I try to do lots of ankle pumps and circles so it's not so stiff. Sorry to be such a humbug......going to curl up with the new Wally Lamb book today and try to forget my troubles!
 
How can pain double at night? I hover around a 3 all day long but at night pain is more like a 7!
I shall ask you some questions!

1. what are your pain levels right now?
(remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget that 'pain' also includes soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness)

2. are you still taking any pain medications, if so, what, how much (in mg please) and how often?

3. are you still icing your knee and if so how often and for how long?

4. are you still elevating your knee and if so how high, how often and for how long?

5. what is the detail of your daily activities? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? Details would are required!

I'll be back shortly! :wink:
 
Hello Josephine,
My pain level through most of the day is a 3 but I have a good pain threshold and 3 is not a big problem for me.
I am 15 days post surgery
taking one half a mg of Hydromorphone every 2 hours pretty well around the clock. They are one mg pills that I cut in half. I have tried a higher dose but it gives me a headache.

I am elevating my leg all day long except to use the washroom.

I am doing 3 light pt exercises,
1 pressing less straight,
2 push heel into mattress to work hamstring,
3 heel slides, aiming for 90 but probably hovering at 75-80.
I do these exercises 3 times a day and then ice with ice machine

Any suggestions for a better sleep would be appreciated!
 
1 pressing less straight,
2 push heel into mattress to work hamstring,
3 heel slides, aiming for 90 but probably hovering at 75-80.
Yes, but how many of each?
I do these exercises 3 times a day and then ice with ice machine
Ice all the time you are resting/elevating. And don't do exercises 3 times a day - once or twice is plenty.
taking one half a mg of Hydromorphone every 2 hours pretty well around the clock. They are one mg pills that I cut in half. I have tried a higher dose but it gives me a headache.
What about during the night? If you are going to ration yourself to that degree, then you need to literally take them every 2 hours! But ½mg? I don't think this is enough.
 
Thank you for the suggestions. I will decrease pt to twice a day, 10 sets each. I will also increase pain meds to 1mg before bed and when I awake in the night to see if that helps. Should I also elevate my leg at night when I sleep? I guess pins and needles feling in foot is pretty common?
 
I will decrease pt to twice a day, 10 sets each.
10 sets? And how many reps in each set? Actually never mind - you only need to do 5 reps twice a day and that's it. One set! And this is part of the reason you are still in pain.
I will also increase pain meds to 1mg before bed and when I awake in the night to see if that helps
Good idea!
Should I also elevate my leg at night when I sleep?
Also a good idea!
I guess pins and needles feeling in foot is pretty common?
Considering all the bruising and pain from his gripping your leg, it is for you!
 
Thanks so much!what a wonderful forum. I love reading other's threads and seeking advice from such knowledgeable sources. Have a good evening. Oh one more thing, I saw this once but now can't find it.....how to post a picture, I've got a beauty scar, I'd love to share.
 
Hi Claire ... hope today is going well for you and your pain is well managed and you have dropped the PT down a bit as per Josephine's suggestion.

I am 8 weeks today and my scar is lovely - fading nicely with just one thickened portion that may or may not resolve I guess. Still I am not the type to care really about a bit of a thickened scar on my legs, which I usually try to hide anyway, 'cos they are not attractive. :heehee:

I think there is a special thread where you post photos of your scars, if you haven't found it already.

Just a quick visit to say I was thinking of you ...

Take care ...
Ellen :reindeer:
 
Thank you Ellen. I am doing well today. Much better night last night, sleeping with my leg elevated, and took half a mg of morphine before bed and again at 3am. How is your non operated leg doing? Is is fairing any better? It is so cold here in Toronto
About minus 17! No wonder my bones are achy. What is the temperature in Australia?
 
Hi Claire ... -17?????? I presume you are talking Fahrenheit? We are on Celsius over here, so I have had to do some calculations courtesy of Google. :heehee: -17F is equal to -27C - neither temperatures are ever recorded over here. Today where I live was 32C, which is nearly 90 in Fahrenheit. The heat alone is not the biggest problem - we have incredible humidity as well - not as bad as North Queensland, but still quite energy sapping. I really do want to experience a period of real cold as part of my bucket list.

Glad you had a much better night sleeping :sleep: I actually managed 5 hours straight last night :yes!: which is the first time since the op - 8 weeks ago. There is always a down side though and I was very lucky I didn't wet the bed. :loll:

I hope it gets a bit warmer for you soon so that your poor bones can relax a bit.

Take Care and stay warm ...
Ellen :xmas-kitty:
 
We are Celsius here in Canada, so today is -10C and it is snowing lovely big flakes. Looks like we will have a white Christmas. I slept 6 straight hours last night, heavenly!! I am almost 3 weeks post op, still no weight bearing due to hto, I will find out next week if I can start gradual weight bearing, or if I need another 3 weeks of this. My leg is shrinking by the day :gaah:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom