Guest viewing is limited

TKR HTO/TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
@claire61 , here's you original thread and I moved your post to it. As you know we like to keep all the recovery information together so we can advise you better.

12 weeks out of any major knee surgery is still early days. I'll tag @Josephine for comment. Seems you have a lot going on. Hang in there!
 
I really feel like the ankle pain is hampering my rehab. I thought by this time I would be walking around the block but pain in ankle makes walking without crutch or walker unbearable! Will ask os to include ankle in my next set of X-rays as it feels like bone on bone with ligament issues on the medial side. Very discouraging!
 
I had ankle issues after my tkr, though not as long as you seem to be having them.
 
Was your leg really bowed? Mine was and I actually think the ankle was pretty well shot prior to tkr. I guess I was hoping that the osteotomy would somehow take the pressure off the ankle. I probably need the ankle fused:hairpulling:Is anyone out their with a new knee and fused ankle?
 
@claire61 , what pain medication are you taking? Are you taking it regularly? Sounds like you may be under medicated.
 
Hi Jaycey, I hadn't really considered pain meds at this point, I take an Advil in the morning because I am stiff and sore but then no pain unless I start walking and even then my knee is great, it's that darn ankle that becomes unbearable after walking for only 10-15 minutes. No pain in ankle without weight bearing then bone grinding medial pain:hissy: On a good note, went shopping for a couple of hours today using my granny's walker which was so much more bearable on my ankle then walking with a cane, I wish I had borrowed it a month ago!
 
Hi folks:
I am 5 months out from a high tibial osteotomy/tkr and all is good with the knee. Here is the but....my ankle (which was in bad shape due to a rolling motion when walking with terribly damaged knee joint for many, many years) needs surgery due to bone on bone pain. In a perfect world, rotating the tibia would have helped the ankle, but it is worse than pre-surgery :( Looking at a total ankle replacement. Does anyone have experience with this and any advise to offer?
 
Just a tkr was tough! I never heard about an ankle being replaced. I hope you keep updating about this. I wish you all the best!
 
We had one member some time back who was facing this - @1jt@atime ... but she hasn't been around for a while and I don't know if she ever had the surgery or not. @Josephine might have some information. Or you could start a thread in the Social Forum and see if anyone picks up on it. So sorry to hear this is in your future.
 
Good luck with the ankle and let us know how it goes.
 
Oh yes, ankles are tough! And the rehab is even tougher! But worth it.
 
Thank you for your replies. I am doing tons of research on ankle replacements and I think they have come a long way. I have to go for it as I need a walker if I am walking for longer than 5 minutes due to ankle pain that sends me to the moon. If it is any where near as successful as my tkr, all will be well.
 
The research is leaning toward ankle replacement as an alternative to fusion. I am looking at surgery in late August or September so I will touch base and let you all know how I fare.
 
Hi All, Just thought I'd add some information here. A close friend of mine just had an ankle replacement due to server arthritis. He had the surgery done at Cedar Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles, CA. He had the surgery one day and went home the second day, with a 3 hour drive. He never experienced any pain, however (and this is a big however), he had to be "non-weight bearing" on the ankle for 6 weeks (no wonder there was no pain!). Also, as we all know, everyone's recovery is different. He was able to get around with a walker during the non-weight bearing phase. After the first 6 weeks he was in a walking cast, then a walking boot and is now without anything. He said his ankle was a little sore when he first started using it again, but that didn't last long. I think they have made a lot of progress on how to do ankle replacements these days.
 
Thanks for the info, I certainly am leaning toward a replacement. How long ago was his replacement done and how old was he when he had his replacement? I guess the other thing that I am concerned with is that it will be the second joint replacement on my left leg (knee in nov, ankle 10 months later!)
 
Hi Claire 61, my friend had his ankle replaced in February, and he is 60 years old. He first had to decide if he wanted to do a fusion or a replacement and did a huge amount of research and talked to a couple of ankle specialists, and finally decided the replacement was best for him. When he decided on the replacement he then did even more research on what component to use and decided on one called the Star (https://www.staranklereplacement.com/?gclid=COChnPDZmL4CFYlhfgodUiMA2g) He then interviewed two surgeons who used that component (one in Oakland, CA and one in Los Angeles, CA) and decided on the L.A. doctor. He's an engineer so he went about the whole process very logically. He said so far the whole process has been easier than he expected. Again, as you well know, everyone is different so what worked for him may not for someone else. I don't blame you for the concern about another replacement so soon. It's hard to get physically and emotionally prepared for that.
 
Thanks for the info. My ortho will use the 3rd generation Hintegra. I hope you don't mind a couple of more questions....1. How long was hospital stay? 2. How long was the non-weight bearing period? 3. Does his ankle look the same as the non-replaced one? I know the last question sounds vain but I have always liked how my ankles looked in comparison to my knees that were full of scars!
 
Hi @claire61, I just sent you a PM with the email address of my friend (his name is Doug) who had the ankle replacement. I told him about you and he is happy to answer questions and offer support for your surgery.

He had his surgery in February and was in the hospital over night and went home the next day. He was non-weight bearing for 6 weeks. His ankle looks just like before the surgery, but he does have a scare about 6 inches long on the front of his ankle. The scar is not easy to see now, and I suspect in a year or less it will be all but gone.

I hope you will email him. I know he will be glad to help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom