TKR HTO/TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dream of a White Christmas (hmmm - sounds like it would make a good song) :heehee: It is definitely on my bucket list and I so hope I get to accomplish it. When you live in an area like mine where the minimum temperature in winter rarely goes below 10 (occasionally and as a minimum) and can still reach mid-20s in winter, the thought of snow sounds so romantic - maybe more romantic than the reality. :what:

After my 5 hours straight sleep on Thursday night, last night I woke up about every 75mins. I thought it was hopeful to expect two nights straight. :sad:

Congrats on your 6 hours straight sleep. You must have felt pretty good in the morning.
I presume by the :gaah: that your leg shrinking is because of the muscles wasting? It will take a while once you are weight bearing, but you will get back what you are losing, I am sure. :)

Hope you can repeat your 6 hour sleeping pattern.

Take Care ...
Ellen :snowman:
 
Hi Ellen,
I too, had a difficult sleep last night! Guess I got spoiled with my six hour night. The snow is very pretty when looking out the window from my nice snugly bed. We are getting an additional 20-30 cm today. I am very thankful that I won't be shovelling it, and will milk this knee for as long as I can. My two boys are heading off snow boarding today and my daughter and her boyfriend are meeting friends at the frozen pond down the street for some pick up hockey!
I am going to try a different pt today, where I do less reps , say 3 not 10, but more frequently. My leg doesn't like the shock of bending only twice a day. The rest of the day, even when sleeping, it is parked in a straight leg splint, while the osteotomy heals. How are you working your pt?
Have a nice balmy day!
Claire
 
Snow is great when you're sitting in the house looking out or when you're a little kid playing in it. Not so wonderful is the shovelling and driving.:snow plough: Actually it's not the snow so much as the melting and freezing. It can be quite the adventure walking into work from the parking lot.
I guess it's the "grass is always greener" idea.
 
I was sent home with physio instruction to include heel slides, leg straighten, heel digs, 3 times a day, 10 reps each, don't seem to be gaining much flexion and was wondering if anyone had better success with more frequency (say five times a day)with 3 reps each time. Any opinions?
 
Hi Claire ... not sure what the answer is with PT. I only go to physio once a week where she massages it and flexes it up and down herself. Last week she added 5mins on the stationary bike. Then I have the TENS machine on the OTHER leg and ice on both, though last week she tried heat. Didn't seem to be much difference.

When I get up in the morning I have a shower and then do 10 heel slides, 10 leg lifts, 10 muscle flexes (on side of knee), 10 marches. I try to do this three times a day - but not always I must admit. I walk around the house and have been to shops a couple of times. Had a big day at the shops yesterday, but I was in a wheelchair with my lovely son pushing.

Doing less, but more often sounds like it could be a plan. IMO uninformed opinion, it couldn't hurt, surely?

I am very confused about the whole thing I think. I have been doing what I am supposed to be doing, with very little progress. Aaah well - these things are sent to try us. It must be even more awkward for you having to heal the osteotomy as well.

That sounds like a great life for the kids - snowboarding and hockey on the ice.

I hope some restful sleep is heading your way Claire :sleep: I think things always look more positive on a good night's sleep.

Take Care and enjoy snuggling in bed looking at the winter wonderland. Hugs ...
Ellen :snows:
 
Thank you Ellen. It really is lovely here, sunny, with a ton of fresh white snow over the weekend. I have never been bed-ridden before, so it's funny how you appreciate things differently! My leg is parked in a straight splint, except to do pt, and absolutely no weight bearing for likely another 3 weeks, can't even put a toe down! Dying to try out this new knee of mine but will just have to be patient.
How are things with you? You seem to be moving on nicely. Are you still on any pain meds. I continue to take a very low dose of morphine every 2-3 hours as osteotomy sight is still quite painful.
Enjoy your day with your grandson.
Claire
 
Hi All: Looking for sleeping tips!! Knee is much more painful at night. I tried zen bev a natural sleep supplement last night but still waking up at least 3 times a night and too uncomfortable to fall back asleep. I'm not weight
Bearing yet due to osteotomy so maybe I just don't need to sleep much? I can't increase pain meds as when I do, I get a blasted headache! Any advice or tips?
 
Hi Claire ... sorry you are having so much trouble sleeping. I wake up every hour to 2 hours to go to the loo and I have gotten into so much of a pattern with it, I am not sure I could break it. I think maybe we just need to re-learn how to sleep all night. I have read on here of members who actually get their doctors to prescribe something to help them sleep. Would this be an option for you? I have never taken sleeping medication, so am unsure of what is the best and least harmful.

I think knees might be more painful at night because we are not distracted by movement and the daily sounds of radio, music or TV and we notice it more. Maybe .... It must be harder for you because you can't just get up and pace around the house or walk to another room. So really I haven't been much help at all, but I do think of you. Maybe I should ring you up and start talking - it seems to have a sleeping effect on some people. :)

I think of you a lot Claire and hope that the osteotomy heals well so you can go ahead with recovering the knee.

Do you have big Christmas plans?

Ellen:snows:
 
Hi Ellen: Better night last night, I guess sleep is a real hit and miss. I think you are right, there are no distractions in the night to take our minds off our discomfort. I had a bit of an awkward tumble yesterday which scared the bejippers out of me! I went to sit down in a recliner but had not positioned myself well and ended up on the floor! My heel smacked down on the floor, which vibrated up my whole leg!! I'm was fine but RATTLED! I go to see os tomorrow, hoping X-ray shows some fusion so I can put this silly foot of mine on the ground and see how this new knee of mine works! Are you thinking "careful what you wish for"?
Christmas plans are set....my daughter (22), ands two sons (16,20) and dear husband have rallied, trees decorated, presents are wrapped, turkey has been purchased....we are just waiting for Santa.
HOw about you Ellen? Are you doing any better? What is your Christmas looking like?
Talk later....
Claire
 
Well folks, I went to os today, almost 4 weeks post op and hto is healing nicely, because he inserted a rod and a plate he feels I can start gradual weight bearing. I put my foot on the ground for the first time in almost a month and my ankle and calf are not very happy with their repositioning! It's going to take some time and patience, that's for sure! Has anybody else had a hto and can relate to this? Can't say that my knee was very happy about it either, very achy today!:sorry:
 
Yep, they do complain about having to do new things!
 
Tomorrow is Christmas and my one month anniversary with my new knee! As many of you have mentioned, the first 3 weeks were the most painful and the pain is easing up in this 4th week, and even the sleeping has improved! I got the green light to start some gradual weight bearing. I have to take it slowly as the leg is very weak after close to a month of no weight bearing. I get to start physio on dec 30 until then, I will carry on with gentle heel slides (approaching 90 degrees), and a few other light exercises that I was given in the hospital.
Merry Christmas to all:sleigh:
 
[Bonesmart.org] HTO/TKR
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] HTO/TKR
bottomshollow
 
5 weeks post op and went to my first pt session yesterday. Very discouraged to find that my bend was 65 NOT approaching 90. Since leaving the hospital a month ago, I have lost 5 degrees even though I did my exercises everyday without fail:umm: I am I'm a Zimmer brace due to osteotomy and physio therapist suggested switching to a hinged brace that will allow me some flexion as I begin to weight bear. She will check with my os of course. Does anyone have any experience with hinged braces?
Happy New Year from Toronto!
 
Hi Claire ... Hope your Christmas and New Year was enjoyable for you. You did sound to have wonderful support at home, as I did on the day. We had family come and go all during the day and friends of family, and for each meal, with lunch the biggest. Ex husband and sons cooked. I did look after the vegies for lunch and that went quite well - lovely crunchy roast potatoes, pumpkin and sweet potato. Oh, and made a basic, but delicious, salad for dinner.

Please don't be despondent at all about your bend. I am 11 weeks out tomorrow and my bend is STILL only at 75degrees, at best. You have so much more to contend with than just the TKR as I have. I am sure that non-weight bearing for a month would have some effect and as long as you treat the weight bearing slowly as you plan and take care, that ROM will slowly increase, I am sure.

I have had no experience with braces, although my physio tells me that I do need one for the non-surgical leg which is suffering from a medial collateral ligament injury . So I will keep checking on here to find out if anyone can help you out with advice on hinged braces.

All the best for the weight bearing Claire and I hope the ROM increases steadily, even if slowly, for you.

Take Care ... be kind to yourself ... and I hope that you and your loved ones have a great 2014 ahead of you, with lots of good times in amongst the knee recovery.

Hugs .. Ellen
 
Happy New Year to you too! I have so many hopes for 2014 and I don't want it all to be about this blasted knee of mine as 2013 was. I started the year with os referral, then consult, then found out I needed not only a tkr but also the osteotomy (ugh). So..spent a lot of last year preparing for this surgery, both at home and school, now it's behind me and time to move on:egypdance:
I feel bad for you Ellen, that your other knee is giving you grief!! I hope that each day, both your knees get a little stronger.
Take care,
Claire
 
Still wondering about experiences with braces? Currently in a Zimmer brace which is a straight leg and physio wants to switch to a hinged brace to allow flexion when I walk. I am still on crutches and just got the green light to begin gradual weight bearing last week but it is awkward in a straight leg brace
 
Claire, I think a hinged brace would be a definite plus for you. I'd go for it as soon as your surgeon agrees to approve it. I know you are anxious to get on with this recovery. You've been very, very patient!!!
 
Thanks JAmie, I think so too. Although I probably will only need it for a couple of months but I suppose I could use it down the road for extra support, as needed. Trying to weight bear and walk with this ankle to top of leg straight leg brace is a drag!!
I'm approaching six weeks and noticing a significant decrease in pain, and nighttime discomfort! It was nice to get the green light to start weight bearing, but I'm finding it hard to gage how much weight I'm actually putting on my leg? It's nice that I don't have pain in my knee when I put weight down, mostly feel it in my tibia (probably at the osteotomy sight) and my of course my ankle which is still adjusting to its new direction!
So that's my update. It's so nice to have this forum to share our stories!
 
I can't seem to find my old thread, so decided to start a new one. I am 12 weeks out from a high tibial osteotomy/ltkr and although the knee feels strong and bend is close to 100 my ankle is giving me terrible grief! I can only walk for a few minutes before ankle is way too painful. I have tried an ankle brace, no use at all. OS says it will take time for ankle to settle after realignment of tibia. My ankle was bad prior to surgery, I guess it was too much to hope that the operation would help the ankle too, perhaps an X-ray should be suggested when I see os at the end of the month. Any thoughts on bad ankle following surgery?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom