How fast did your hip decline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Brave gal..Hey Hi...nice to meet you...We are around the same age.:SUNsmile:..Seeing my Dr next week...Have to decide if now is the time. UGH>>>>>>This pain you just learn to live with. It becomes a part of you I think...then I say well I can wait longer??? But then I say WHY????:gaah:.. I did the cortisone and forget that...did nothing .My head hurts from having to make this big decision...Was it the right one for you and are you happy you did it????:boohoo:Just want to put this to rest...sorry for venting....I hope you new hip is feeling good...:kittykiss:
 
Chaseboy we are the same age I just did it. not the most fun I ever had but I am so glad I took care of it at 57 because even though we think we are old we are able to still snap back. I just did it because my husband said he did not want me to lose the use of my leg and enjoy our older golden years being active and traveling etc . this whole surgery decision hit me like a ton of bricks. I did not weigh the should I or shouldn't i, I went for a few opinions, not letting on I knew I needed hip replacement and 3. OS said same . You know eventually you need to do it. I am such a chicken when it comes to surgery, it's a scary proposition but I would be glad to recommend my dr if you are near Phila area
 
@Brave gal..Oh thanks for your reply..My husband to says omg JoAnne are you going to back out of the surgery??? He keeps telling me just do it so you can get on with your life.......its just a scary thing for me and by no means am I a baby....yes I am very close to Philly.......I found a Dr up here where I live ..in bucks county...but what who was your Dr? I know Phila very well...born there... Maybe I need a 3rd opinion...Oh my
 
I am in the same club. I am 43 and want to race my bike damnit! :) It's all I can think of really and right now. I can't log the hours I need to train and that's a problem. I certainly can't race like this cause I can barely walk. Am I going to wear the new joint out and need a revision? Yup. Don't know if it's the right attitude or not but it is what it is. :)
 
Chasey, have you ever heard of OA getting better? Just wondering :)
 
@M1ke,,,Nope Mike ...it does not get better. you will always have it. I am no expert...but the funny part of this whole thing is that I work for Orthopedic Doctors..I deal with patients as young as you...I talk to people all day long with this problem.....and guys as young as you come in the office all the time,,,,Its guys like you who pound their joints at the gym,,,and with all kinds of sports,,,,,its the young people I see who have issues...because of all the stuff they do.....yeah Mike its with us for life I think.........
 
@TKD . I agree with you 100 %. I tinkert around with my right hip since 2004 when I had a labrum tear, undiagnosed. In 2007 I had arthroscopic surgery on that hip and that made things better for a few years. The OS told me then that I would need a new hip in three to five years! Wow, I could not believe it. Thank God I discovered road cycling at that time and so I went cycling instead of hiking and backpacking. Also no more gardening and a lot of other things. Then I started having trouble getting my leg over the saddle. I could ride with just little pain. I rode lots and lots and lots of miles feeling very happy to do it. Then last fall I started walking because of bone density issues. Cycling does not help with increasing or maintaining bone density. I had pain until then, but nothing like what I had after I started walking. Then I stopped walking, because I could not walk at all anymore. Sometimes the pain was so sharp and sudden and intense, it took my breath away. I tried yoga, I tried TRX in hopes of unloading my hip while still working out and keeping my fitness. There were times I went back to my car crying from pain. I made up my mind to not wait any longer. I wanted it done yesterday.

I would rather have a fulfilling life for the next 15 years and get a revision in my seventies than miss out on all the things I enjoy doing while I'm still young enough to do them. Anyone telling you to forfeit today to prevent what may or may not happen years from now probably don't need a joint replacement like you do. No pain today was my choice too.

@M1ke. You live in the PNW with access to the UW. Dr. Manner does the MIS-2 approach of thr. I had it 15 days ago and could not be happier. I wish I had done it sooner. I find my recovery amazing. I have no idea what the wait time is. My first appointment was with Dr. Harrast [sports medicine right under Husky Stadium]. Everyone was awesome and understood my concerns.
 
Chaseboy I used Dr Carl deirmangien he has an office at lankanau hospital . It is exactly 2 weeks ago and I stand by what I said I just get it over with. if you see him he also has an office in Limerick and operates at a private hospital there. That's where I had my surgery, a capacity of 12 patients only 6 when I was there.
 
@TKDi. I could not have said it any better Han you did
 
Same to @ Briggeride I couldn't express it better than that!!!!
 
@M1ke . I have a lot of cycling friends, among them racers, cyclo crossers too. According to one of my cycling friends he races with guys who had thr in cyclo cross and they don't ride like cripples. From you picture I can see that you are a cyclo crosser. And there are quit a few hippies that are roadies, me being one of them. I can't tell you how happy I am to be rid of this pain.
By the way, my surgeons assistant, Peter Hall, is a crazy single speed cyclo crosser. My husband is a crosser too, but not too crazy.
 
@M1ke,,,Nope Mike ...it does not get better. you will always have it. I am no expert...but the funny part of this whole thing is that I work for Orthopedic Doctors..I deal with patients as young as you...I talk to people all day long with this problem.....and guys as young as you come in the office all the time,,,,Its guys like you who pound their joints at the gym,,,and with all kinds of sports,,,,,its the young people I see who have issues...because of all the stuff they do.....yeah Mike its with us for life I think.........
Haha @chaseyboy I was saying that for you. So there you go you made the point for me. And explained it perfectly. So read your own reply and ask yourself if you should put it off.
 
@Briggieride yes! Another CX racer.

That's awesome news cause I ride like a cripple now. I can only mount my cx bike from the drive side. I definitely don't have a good pedal stroke. Ill share that I went for an easy ride today and except for a range of motion problem at the top of the pedal stroke I felt pretty good because of my recent cortisone shot. I did do two efforts at about 90 percent and it felt so good to put down some power with my left leg. So I am more excited then ever to get this done because I just got a taste of what it's like.
 
@chaseyboy....yeah - you can most definitely blow your knees compensating! my husband was happy that the x-rays today didn't show a lot of cartilage loss, he wigs about hip replacement - but doesn't realize how much damage you can do by doing NOTHING!

also - FWIW - the 10 - 15 years that everybody quotes was on the older liner materials. newer ones are likely to last much longer, altho they have only been in use for 5 years or so. lab wear rates are WAY, WAY lower....as (at least theoretically) in the 45 - 60 year range unless you do stuff really out of the ordinary.

there is a really high level dressage trainer who is now in her mid 50's....who had both hips replaced when she was about 25 due to some congenital issues. had a REALLY tough time finding anybody to do the surgery. she is still on the original set of implants with no issues - and these would now be considered really old technology.

and the 'put it off as long as possible at the expense of having a life' people I don't think have ever watched their own lives get smaller and smaller. when one doc suggested that I just quit doing stuff that my hip didn't like this go-round I went on a mini-rant about 'life of my joint vs. having a life at all'.....not going back to that guy.
 
I've read some place (not here I don't think) that the hardware for joint replacement now lasts so long that there is a business now to collect "used" parts from those who pass on - sterilize it - and donate it to those who otherwise could not afford the surgery. Not real pleasant to read about - but it goes to show you that these new parts do last a long time. And gives a new spin to recycling.

For those of you who cycle - have you seen the cycling thread over in the social section here at BoneSmart? It's pinned to the top - and has some great pictures of hippies and kneesies returning to their favorite activity :bicycle1:
 
Just to clarify, the bit about waiting as long as possible so you don't need a revision is now very old school. Surgeons are now talking about the forever hip. Waiting longer only lengthens the recovery as more and more issues appear while you are trying to stay off that sore hip. Here's a thread in the Library about implant longevity.
 
@Jaycey

I think promoting the likelihood of a of forrever implant cannot be supported by clinical data, especially for very active young people. Anecdotes of some implants lasting forty years are just that - anecdotes, commonly referred to as anecdata. My aunt will be 100 next month, that doesn't mean I can expect to reach that age. I have no faith in promises from manufacturers - the metal on metal debacle is reason enough to be skeptical. Big Pharma is notorius for selective reporting of clinical data and implant manufacturers fall into the same category. I don't propose postponing surgery if warranted but I don't agree that expectations should be raised above what can be demonstrated with statistically sound clinical evidence. My surgeon only committed to 15-20 years and I hope my implant outlives me but there is a real chance I may need a revision if I last in to my nineties as my parents did.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I was told 5 years ago I needed a hip replacement… I was ok, had pain but it was not all the time…until the last 6 months…it got bad really really fast…Now it is horrible ... I never expected it…so be aware!!!!
 
I was told 5 years ago I needed a hip replacement… I was ok, had pain but it was not all the time…until the last 6 months…it got bad really really fast…Now it is horrible ... I never expected it…so be aware!!!!
Ugh. This is exactly the information I wanted, but not what I wanted to hear! Thanks for the response.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom