How fast did your hip decline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry... I have tried everything to avoid surgery... supplements, acupuncture... unfortunately... it goes bad quickly and reality sets in. I am very active and full of energy...do not want any limitations on me. life is too short.
 
^^ no worries, it is what it is.
 
I have my own personal theory about how fast hips decline and why. For OA, you've got this layer of cartilage sitting in there absorbing shock and friction. As it wears out tiny little spots wear through and begin being inflamed and/or bone on bone. They hurt.
As time goes on they get larger.

I imagine it like this: At some point that cartilage is super-worn. Like a piece of paper. At that point, the parts that are damaged and inflamed and painful are many and the rate of their destruction becomes super-fast.

My pain was about 2 years. It started as an occasional twinge. Then that twinge was more common. That lasted about a year.

For the last year, it was a constant pain, increasing constantly for about 8 months. I had an injection in February one year before surgery. That injection allowed me to go (painfully, but possible) skiing last year.
The pain reduction from this injection lasted about 10 weeks or more and then faded quickly.

Six months later, the pain is worse, and I had another injection in August. By this time, I had begun limping a little and had significant reduction in range of motion to the point where I had to park my motorcycle. I could still WALK, but separating my knees, tying my shoes, putting on socks, etc was very painful.
This injection worked well and I hiked in yellowstone for 34 miles in the back country with a 50# pack. Still had a range-of-motion problem, but got through it.
This time, the injection was only effective for about 3 weeks and faded VERY fast. The limp got worse, all my daily activities begin being affected and the pain was constant including while sleeping.

My doctor told me that the efficacy of the injections was going to continue to diminish, so there wasn't much point for me to continue with injections. I made the surgery appointment in Oct for January.

I would rather have a fulfilling life for the next 15 years and get a revision in my seventies than miss out on all the things I enjoy doing while I'm still young enough to do them.
I agree with this sentiment completely. I could have walked with a limp, given up my favorite activies (skiing, hiking, motorcycle riding, walking, etc) OR I could get a bilateral THR.

@M1ke. You live in the PNW with access to the UW.
I also live in the PNW and went to see a guy named Fuchs at Evergreen General Hospital in Kirkland, but i didn't hit it off with him. I just didn't feel comfortable. Maybe it was him, maybe it was that I wasn't quite ready mentally, but either way, I didn't feel it.

I put the word out to friends and was recommended another surgeon by THREE different people all of whom knew someone this OS has worked on and who were very happy.

His name is Philip Downer and he works at Swedish Hospital in Ballard. He does the Direct Anterior Approach and does has ridiculous amounts of experience (His team told me that he does between 2 and 8 hips EVERY WEEK).

Anyway...most people, myself included, have no experience with multiple doctors. I just went with this one because it felt right, he was recommended by multiple people (one of which works in the industry) and he has experience in a tried and tested method (DAA).

I can't attest to the final product yet, because it's too soon, but I can say that I already have superior range of motion and the bone-on-bone pain is gone. Now I need to rehab the muscles and hopefully lose the surface-numbness. Success is, I believe, imminent.
 
Thanks for responding. All this is helping me decide if I can at least make it through summer. The answer I am finding out is only a MAYBE. oh well thats why I hedged my bet and I am on the list for June or July. I will be able to make the final call then.
 
@M1ke - I procrastinated 8 long years from the first time I heard THR mentioned.. The last three months were horrid.. and yet the other hip is pretty much in the same condition and causes me very little pain so far (fingers crossed). :)
 
Surgeons are now talking about the forever hip.
I think promoting the likelihood of a of forever implant cannot be supported by clinical data
@AlanInAZ of course it's not supported by clinical data! :doh: That's because it's an expectation, based upon recent statistics of implant longevity allied to advances in metallurgy, implant design and manufacture and surgical techniques. But those surgeons at the 'cutting edge' of this business most certainly are pretty confident that the 'forever' hip is with us already. I know because like Jaycey, I too have heard them expounding that philosophy at conferences. But we won't know that for sure until another 40 years have passed!
I've read some place (not here I don't think) that the hardware for joint replacement now lasts so long that there is a business now to collect "used" parts from those who pass on - sterilize it - and donate it to those who otherwise could not afford the surgery. Not real pleasant to read about - but it goes to show you that these new parts do last a long time. And gives a new spin to recycling.
I don't think so! If you knew half of how hard it is to remove these things from the human body, you'd know they could never be used in another person! I think you might find the same applies to used car parts - they can't be used in another car either!

However @AlanInAZ this reminds me of a neat story I shall post in your Faith thread. You'll love it!
For OA, you've got this layer of cartilage sitting in there absorbing shock and friction. As it wears out tiny little spots wear through and begin being inflamed and/or bone on bone. As time goes on they get larger. At some point that cartilage is super-worn. Like a piece of paper.
I think it's more comparable to a concrete step wearing out! Lots of loose grit and pock holes! And this is exactly what it looks like when you see it first hand!

[Bonesmart.org] How fast did your hip decline?
 
Wait let's qualify the use of the words forever hip.

Does forever hip apply to a 43YO 200lb athlete?

Or are we talking average sized 60YO getting a new hip?

Or does it mean "forever hip" like "forever cool":)
 
I think "forever" depends on if you're a professional athlete (Rudy Galindo, double hip replacement who went back to competitive skating, or Bo Jackson who went back to baseball) or like you said, an average aged patient with average activities. I'm personally counting on 20-30 years which is what my OS estimated. If it's longer, awesome! That being said, some will last longer, some burn out more quickly. I'm sure the more we use/abuse the joint the quicker it will wear out. For me, I'm not going back to running regularly. But I'm going to thank God and my amazing OS when I can chase one of my kids a lap around the playground. I'll exercise but avoid the stuff I'm told to- running, downhill skiing, and most definitely "falling off of 2nd story scaffolding." That's an exact quote from my OS, who has a sense of humor.
 
If I get 15 I'm happy. It's all about mindset. If i think it will last longer then I might get disappointed. No reason for me to count on more.
 
How does one ever really truly know how long our implants are going to last.

Not sure it is anything we or the manufacturers can control.

My personal opinion is to enjoy it and life and the fact that I have no bone on bone pain whilst I have it and cross future bridges if and when they get here.
 
@M1ke I have had niggling pain (1-4/10) since my ops as a kid. About September last year I woke up one morning and could not walk. There was no reason (injury etc.) and no indication it was getting worse. Long story short - I managed to work until the end of November in total agony and have been off work since then using crutches to walk. Still waiting on a date for the THR due to our public system here in Oz.
 
@fulafoto

Sorry to hear it. Hang in there.

@Poppet I agree completely I am just not going to think about it. I'm not going to have to do anything different really than I do now anyway.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This is an interesting thread for me. I had Perthes disease as a kid and have managed with bouts of pain intermittently since then. I've had a good few years and have lost weight and got fitter the past couple of years. Until... I went to get a massage for a tight lower back and mentioned my limited mobility in my leg. We then did 'a bit of work' on that. Next day, I couldn't walk. Or the day after. Or the day after.

X-rays & MRIs confirmed severe osteoarthritis in both hips, worse in the right. Just saw the specialist the other day who suggested that the extension during the massage may have caused some latent subchondral damage to finally give way. So it would appear that was a key point and it's now a case of managing my situation until I can find the time for the op, hopefully later this year.

I'd be interested in what folks do exercise-wise before an operation. I am swimming a couple of times a week but can't walk much (shuffle) and don't think I'd be able to do weight training any more because of loading on and stresses across the joints. Also any pointers in supplementation in this pre-op phase to make sure I'm in the best condition for post-op recovery.
 
Mostly bike riding for me. But in the last days that irritated it so much I could barely walk the next few days. I was lucky I only had a couple months no excercise. Coming off a racing season I was pretty strong to begin with also. Just lucky.

But I'd stick with swimming if that works for you. You can try riding also. :)
 
Hi there @TrickiDicki and welcome tot he forum from another Aussie. You will find a few of us here including @Poppet @Vetgirl and @Allycat to name just a few.

As far as exercising I am concentrating on upper body stuff only as my hip is totally shot and even swimming hurts. Basically do what you can and I reckon swimming would be a great idea (although might be a bit cool in Melbourne!) Why not start your own thread and tell us more about yourself too!
 
Wow, thanks for the fast reply guys! You're right that it's a bit cool at the moment for outdoor swimming but I'm tinkering with cold thermogenesis at the moment (partly as op-prep) so that's OK. Water temp just under 10' at the mo (brr!!!!) The swimming can antagonise the hip/knee though. As you say, do what you can...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom