THR Houston Liveringer Has Landed With New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
sandybeach that wasn't much help was it? I got told I would only need antibiotics if dental work was going to take more than an hour. It is again one of those things different surgeons different opinions but it makes things very confusing doesn't it?
 
sandybeach. I don't think anyone knows for sure. Josephine says the research doesn't clearly draw a connection between UTIs or dental work and implant infections, or a least that's what I recall her posting.
 
LeeApril26 Here you go .
Joint prostheses and dental treatment

Advice of a Working Party of the British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy is that patients with prosthetic joint implants (including total hip replacements) do not require antibiotic prophylaxis for dental treatment. The Working Party considers that it is unacceptable to expose patients to the adverse effects of antibiotics when there is no evidence that such prophylaxis is of any benefit, but that those who develop any intercurrent infection require prompt treatment with antibiotics to which the infecting organisms are sensitive.
The Working Party has commented that joint infections have rarely been shown to follow dental procedures and are even more rarely caused by oral streptococci.
 
TeeEm. Thank you very much! I've been searching US studies. Most dentists say no, many ortho surgeons say yes, and then others say two years. Seems clear that no one is sure of where late onset infections come from.
 
sandybeach, I have had multiple UTIs because of my Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) so I go straight onto antibiotics. I always have a spare Rx. My Renal Soecialist does not allow me to wait to get a culture done, he always says 'safer to have you on a broad spectrum antibiotic and culture later. Most of my UTI's rapidly turn into kidney infections for me, but then given my CKD one would expect that.

Here is a couple of articles from the library regarding peri prosthetic infections.. I don't worry, no point. The recent research I have read from a NSW University research team indicate that we all have biofilm on the implant at the time of surgery in the OR.


https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/infection-periprosthetic-infection.8983/

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...tion-also-known-as-late-onset-infection.4868/
 
Poppet, I am pretty sure I was getting a UTI and I did have a bottle of antibiotics so I took them for a few days and now I feel better. I just wonder if something like that would go to my implants and if it does how would I ever know? Does it cause a lot of pain? I read the articles but they didn't really say much about the symptoms. I don't think infection with the implant is very common.
 
The first UTI I contracted was approximately two months post surgery. My Renal specialist put me straight onto antibiotics. He indicated in my situation it was appropriate to be cautious regarding my prostheses at that early stage.

My situation is different as I have Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD),so my GP and Renal Specialist's concern is that it does not become a kidney infection. I accept that I may be more vulnerable due to my CKD but I make sure I take appropriate precautions and I naturally drink a lot of water to keep flushing...

Do I worry about an infection proceeding to the hip - my answer is emphatically NO. I accept that I take the antibiotics at the first significant sign and then don't worry. :)
 
Poppet very true with an existing condition like you have you do need to be extra careful and it is important for all of us to drink lots of water to keep our systems flushed. I suppose the best thing to do if in doubt, go to the doctor and make sure everything is okay.
 
Wow, Liveringer, has it been THREE MONTHS?? Doesn't that seem unreal? You're a couple of weeks ahead of me.
Anyway, congratulations on the great report and a great gait, and thanks so much for telling us everything you learned. At your earlier checkups, I take it you did still have some restrictions--like not lifing up your foot in the shower? (I'm not sure I've heard of that restriction, but at this point I am a little "restrictions weary" since we all get such contradictory info about them.) I'm not a swimmer, so I wonder what's wrong with the breast stroke?
As for jury duty, I echo Lenora: Take your cane and pillows and get up as frequently as you can so you can avoid stiffness and soreness. Hope you get a brief, non-boring trial! Or that you get dismissed asap. Hope your horseshoe-slinging days are going well! Stay cool.
 
Peaches, it's the leg kick that's required when doing the breast stroke to propel you through the water that is a no-no for "hippies".
 
Peaches Lifting my foot in the shower was me, it was never a restriction but I was just making sure (knee outward w/foot over the other knee).
This past weekend I pitched shoes, oh boy, was it humid. My pitching was not so good on Saturday but good enough to make the finals Sunday. I must say by the time I got back to the hotel I was fatigued and sore (not in a bad way), I showered, took some Aleve and used the Elmore Oil. I figured I would be out the first round on Sunday each match best 2 out 3 (30 shoes each). Round 1, 3 matches I win 2 of 3, Round 2 I win 2 of 3 beating the top person (unexpected by all), final match 3 games winning only 1 (middle game) but hey I made it to the finals against a fellow NYer and we are not strangers to one another. I pitched more on Sunday and then traveling home 1 1/2 hours, I still felt great, body wise, and feel good this morning.
As far as Jury duty I start calling on Friday for next week. It is a number in the 200's so I probably have to go to the courthouse. I must be weird but hard benches, chairs do not bother me at this stage but thank you for the advice anyway.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom