Bilateral THR Houndmom's THR Recovery Thread

Each day should get slightly better. It's like baby steps forward and some so small that we can't see them but if you think back to the days right after surgery and then look at what is going on now, you will see lots of progress in just those few weeks. Hopefully you got the pain meds and things are looking brighter for you.
 
Hey.. houndmom. Are you ok? You're so quiet...I know this is the scariest thing I've ever been through. You're allowed to whine you know. Look at my early posts.
You are gonna be so much better sooner than you think. Hope you are taking it easy!
 
Hope you are feeling better @houndmom, and that the blood clot has cleared. Congratulations on your bilateral surgery. It sounds like you're under medicated. I had to wake up and ice sometimes at about 3:00 a.m. The percoset gave me relief. I hope you are okay and that your pain is under control. Take care.
 
I doubt the blood clot has cleared but I am unlikely to form new one with the warfarin I am on. I get another blood draw on Monday, yah. Left leg is still numb/pins and needley, and I have an appointment to see a neurologist at the end of the month. Kids are out of school so I have a chauffeur to say blood draw appointments, so that's helpful.
 
Is the neurologist to address the pins and needles feeling. Because I still have that, mostly only in one leg... Less intense than last week but still noticeable.. Extra sensitive. Guessing that's normal!!!
Hope you have a peaceful day
 
No my sciatic nerve was tangled in some pre-existing scar tissue and was traumatized during surgery. I can't pull the foot up and I assumed the pins and needles were attached to that.
 
Really hope it gets resolved. Sounds like you really suffered before your surgery. Sending you healing wishes!!!
 
It will all start to get better soon. I, too, am sending positive healing thoughts your way. :flwrysmile:
 
Someone else may have already mentioned this or you may have done it on your own but if you read Mojo333's recovery thread, I think you may find some comfort. She had bilateral as well as during the early days ran into some tough times but she has recovered so well and seems to be doing great after just six weeks. You will be following right behind her as your worse days are now behind you and you are headed to recovery.
 
6-ish weeks yesterday. Cleared of restrictions (I may do all kinds of stuff I can't actually do at this time) I start PT tomorrow mostly for gait issues.
 
Hey my double hippie friend. What is it that you're allowed to do that you cannot do yet?
What gait issues?
I am told that I'm a toe walker. Like on tippy toes. I'm sure that is because if 5 years of trying to take pressure off of lower back/ hips. I try to practice walking heel to toe. Not feeling you are feeling encouraged or happy about your progress. Let us know what issues you might be having. Maybe we can help?
Today's gonna be a good day!
 
I came to hip replacement from a different place than many here. I had a hip fusion when I was 12 (38 years ago for those at home), so some muscles on my left leg were literally not moving much. Consequently, the left leg doesn't have the same range of motion (can't even hit 90 degrees yet) or strength, and I have a significant limp from the existing weakness and just adaptive walking for 38 years. I have
  • Trendelenburg gait: occurs in unstable hip due to congenital dislocation of hip, gluteus medius muscle weakness.
I liked the PT today, sometimes I think my doctor is stuck in his booklearning. He can even say I am a zebra in the herd of horses but will immediately wonder why I am not like all the horses.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You know your body better than anyone, even the doctors. So sorry you have had to deal with this so so long.
I'm guessing you have had allot of pain. If this surgery alleviates alot of that, then you can be a beautiful zebra with a little limp...
Guessing that's your hounds picture on your profile. Cool dog. What kind is he?
 
Retired racing greyhound. AMF Tankfullagas. He is a huge dork. We call him Tank, Tanki, Tankster, Tanker, Tankanator, and Dude-you-are-in-the-way.

I may be in a little more pain now, but I am way more flexible than I was (just not as flexible as a normal person).
 
Keep up the good work @houndmom my bilateral is one week from today and I am dreading it but I have to do it…


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@houndmom Arnica really helped on my swollen and bruised areas. I also had pain in the calf a LOT and that helped there too. Arnica all over the place...... Best of luck.
 
My little Shihtzu, Mojo, it's 14 and was so confused after my surgery. He wanted to walk in between the legs of my walker and stare at me like what the heck is won't with you. Finally after being scolded and almost mashed for a week, he began walking behind me. I would creep two or three feet, stop to rest, and he would lick the back of my legs. Annoying but cute. He used to love my lap but figured out that with anterior bilateral that wasn't working for me so he has been pretty considerate of that.
Hope you go to feeling lots better soon. Your dork is adorable.
 
Tank keeps trying to rub his face on my hips, and thinks I walk sooooo slooooooow. Before I was just soo sloow.
 
Back
Top Bottom