Bilateral THR Houndmom's THR Recovery Thread

houndmom

Country
United States United States
The right hip went great! Some suture soreness bit nothing horrible.
The left not so much. Scar tissue from an old biopsy had tangled a nerve, so it has been traumatized and now I have drop foot on my left, so it is numb and tingly and cold. They ordered an orthrotic and the cast was made on Sunday early afternoon. And then I went home. So on MOnday we had to go get the orthotic. I hate the car at the moment.
It was also more fused than they expected and had to cut the femoral head off while still in the joint.

New
53 staples removed today

That's a bunch. Who counted, you or the nurse? My 23 staples were removed after 14 days. Yours are out at 11 days. Good job!

Best wishes for fast healing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I made my husband count them on me. I did ask on behalf of my 10 if they used a regular stapler or a special one.

That is a LOT of staples. It is interesting how different surgeons use different methods of closure of the incision. Some staples, some stitches and mine was apparently stitches below the surface because I couldn't see them - maybe a little "glue" in addition but I don't know. I know there had to be stitches because at the very end I can feel a little tiny piece of something that feels like fishing line.

Anyhow, it sounds like you are progressing well. Hopefully the orthotic helps your left foot. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

@houndmom Congratulations on your BTHR!!! I think it's not unusual with bilaterals for one leg to be worse than the other and have a bit more difficulty in recovery. I know my right hip was worse - more fused, more debilitated muscles, etc than the left. It took me about 4months to get left foot on right knee and 9 months to get right foot on left knee. I sure hope the orthotics help with your drop foot problem! And yes I hated the car too for a number of weeks after BTHR! No worries ... this too shall pass. Just take it slow and don't try to push your self too fast. Oh don't know if any one mentioned it to you before surgery but it is really important to start off after BTHR or any hip replacement with new flat soles on your shoes (either resole old shoes or buy new ones)! Wearing old ones will keep you walking in the old limping pattern and will interfere with getting a normal gait going again - and impede muscles returning to proper functioning.

Staples were used because there was already scar tissue on one hip (I think like 12 - 17 previous biopsy stitches) and staples helped it close better. And then symmetry? Special deal on staples?

I figured about the shoes and got a new pair, but they don't work with the brace. Oddly I have not been in the mood to go shoe shopping recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I have a blood clot in the stupid left leg, so now I am on better blood thinner. evert step forward seems to lead to a massive detour.

oh houndmom! It's a hiccup. Don't get discouraged. Your body has been through so much. Take your meds and while to us if you need to... It s gonna get better
I know there had to be stitches because at the very end I can feel a little tiny piece of something that feels like fishing line.
Me too. Right at top in bend... Guess for extra stability.

Whine to us if you need to...I whined alot

And I have a blood clot in the stupid left leg, so now I am on better blood thinner. evert step forward seems to lead to a massive detour.
Detours are ok. It just takes a tiny bit longer to reach the final destination. Just take it easy, relax, rest, ice and elevate. You are doing great. You are only two weeks post op. You'll get there but it takes a bit more time.:yes!:

Mojo and grannyc are spot on.
Its a hiccup on top of a detour.
Pretty hard to keep things going straight, there's always something that crops up. I think you'll be fine houndmom when you get past this hitch.
Keep Well.
Joe.......

Yesterday I found a doctor to manage the blood thinners. Today I went out and got a shoe to go over the ugly ugly brace. NOw I need painkillers.

We all needed pain killers. I still do at night. Let's get that clot gone and wear the dumb old shoe. Better days ahead. Try to look ahead, stress is terrible for your body.

It sounds like you are getting everything under control. If you are out of pain killers, you should call your doctor asap to get more. It is still early and since you had both hips done, I'm sure you need some. Just take it easy for a few days and let your body work on healing. You will soon be back in shape and no more pain!!

The back of the thighs are just achey. I can sit on my butt or lie and my back and nothing else and it is just sore and achey. I swear, I hit a wall every evening at 5:00.

Same. Feel like someone used legs for punching bag. 5:00 if you've been fairly active sounds like reasonable wall hitting time.
Really not making fun of you...I really do get it. But your body has suffered a trauma, an assault if you will. Time will heal wounds. Hang in there.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jojojo1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom