TKR Hoping for a new me after this new knee...at 37!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow I lost your thread but now I found it! That is so awesome that someone paid your bill for you! Remember to pay it forward when things get better for you! Keep the world improving with kind acts of selflessness. :SUNsmile:
 
Very true! I don't know why that didn't cross my mind! :scratch:

Pdx, how are you feeling? We were four weeks yesterday!
I'm doing much better, thank you. And apologies for not answering sooner. I actually could pedal a regular bike yesterday -- on a wind trainer, not the street; not for long, but still progress. The exercise bike hasn't been a problem but a real bike is different.
And my energy level's finally returning. Now, if I could only sleep through the night!
 
Pdx, congrats on the bike! I was doing the exercise bike, but I haven't ventured towards the real bike yet.

I'm with you on the staying up all night. A friend of mine had hers done one week ahead of us, and last night was her first full night of sleep. Huge milestone that gives me a glimmer of hope! :)

Sometimes it seems as if this will never end... Then I remember that every day we are one step closer.
 
What I wouldn't give for sleep right now... 2 1/2 hours seems to be my limit. :zzz:
 
I'm sorry BMX :sorry: I wish I had the magic answer for you. I know for me I had to figure out that it was being uncomfortable being on my back with the legs up too long that was a problem. But then if they are down too long then it's also a problem. So I lay with them up before sleeping then throw the pillows on the floor just before rolling to my side to sleep and then when I wake between 3-4am I potty and put the pillows back in and then go back to sleep. That usually gets me about 2-3 more hours before aching again. That's my sleep cycle anyways.
 
Hi, Shelly. Every time I read a post from you I learn we have something else in common. We even have the same sleep issues! :)

I think tonight I'm going to take some melatonin again, but perhaps a higher dose. If that doesn't work, I think I'm finally going to give in and ask for a sleeping pill. I'm glad it's not actually painful...it's just this obnoxious throbbing that won't go away. :gaah:

On a positive note, I took the day off yesterday so I'm looking forward to this long weekend! I plan on caching up on all of my shows. NCIS awaits!
 
Yes, NCIS is great for recuperation. :) Sleep whenever you can--day or night. It is normal to not sleep through the night at this stage. I'd sleep for a few hours, be up for a couple, sleep for a couple and nap whenever the impulse struck early on. Are you getting proper pain meds before bed? Do you ice before or in bed?
 
Hi, Kneeper.

I am taking my meds and icing before bed. I have been prescribed Percocet 5-325 and Voltarin, and the dosage is every 6 hours as needed. Should I take them closer together?
 
Hi, everyone. I hope you had a wonderful weekend. :)

I have a general question that I'm hoping someone can answer.

How would you describe the feeling when your nerves are healing?

I think that's what is happening because everything feels very tender, and it's very uncomfortable when my pants rub against my knee and about six inches down the sides of my calf. Then I get these little zappy feelings every now and then. Really weird... :scratch:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hoping for a new me after this new knee...at 37!
Yep, those sudden electric zaps are signs of nerves waking back up!
This recovery is just full of fun aches and pains----you get past one kind of pain and another type pops up. But eventually they all just sort of disappear. All just part and parcel of recovery!

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Hoping for a new me after this new knee...at 37!
 
Hi all! I hope your week is turning out to be a great one! :)

Monday was the 5-week mark. If you've been reading, you know that I've been an emotional roller coaster. I've been frustrated with my flexion and going a little nuts resting all day. Well, this week has been a little bit of a turning point for me. :happydance:

Monday night I slept almost five hours straight. I felt like a whole new person yesterday.

PT is going great too. Today I was FINALLY able to get to 2 degrees extension and 103 for flexion. I was really excited because I could never get past 81 degrees every time I was measured, even though I rode the bike a few times.

I'm wondering if I had this little breakthrough because of a trick the occupational therapist at work taught me yesterday. She gave me a rolling pin and showed me how to apply a small bit of pressure as I gently roll it up and down my quad and the sides of my knee. This apparently helps to break up some of the scar tissue. It actually felt really good.

She also showed me some gentle stretches to help with flexion and extension just using my rolling office chair. I can do them throughout the day while I'm helping my kids at their tables.

Anyway, I did these little tricks several times between yesterday and today, and I feel a huge difference. I'm know it's still going to be that crazy roller coaster ride, but these little milestones are really encouraging. :egypdance:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hoping for a new me after this new knee...at 37!
[Bonesmart.org] Hoping for a new me after this new knee...at 37!
Nice ROM, bmxmama! those little milestones add up to big improvements. I hope you are noting them down somewhere, so you can pull out your list to look at when you go through your next bump in the road. It's a big help to be able to look back as see how far you've come when things don't seem to be going so well.

Keep up the good work, take care of yourself, and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Hoping for a new me after this new knee...at 37!
 
Great news!!! I am so happy for you! I am so following your progress because you give me hope!!! My therapist gave me a similar trick using a tennis ball! I'd be interested in hearing about the rolling chair... Keep up the great work bmxmama and keep us posted!
 
That rolling pin trick sounds good! I do something with a rolling chair too. Some days it's easy-peasy, but other days I feel like I'm trying to drive a Flintstone car (where he runs and runs in place before going anywhere).
You're doing really well for five weeks!
 
Love reading how well you're doing, Ms. Sunshine State. I'm doing better each day, though there are those little surprises -- new pains, and still with the sleep issues.
How's that little boy of yours? I hope his arm is getting better.
 
Sleeping and movement!! woohoo! :spin: A wonderful - and well-deserved - combo! Great news bmx. I hadn't heard the rolling pin idea, but both my PT and my massage therapist suggested the tennis ball. I've had horrible trouble with the IT bands becase of the valgus - I think I'm going to dig out my rolling pin - it's so rarely used for anything else around here!!

And the PT emphasizes repetitive motion as being valuable for keeping adhesions at bay. I don't have a rolling chair, but we do have two chairs that rock and I have spent oodles of time rocking, either powering it with my knees or my ankles (especially when I get some swelling). My OS's PA suggested a sleeping pill when I was at wits end about no sleep. I figured I was on enough chemicals (and don't do well with melatonin either), but she said it would be fine to use Advil PM at night with the other pain meds. Yeh, still a chemical, but I am sleeping - and when I wake up to go to the bathroom, I readily fall back asleep. :sleep: Whatever you are doing - keep it up!! :SUNsmile:
 
Hi bmxmama' loving the rolling pin idea and really pleased to hear you are starting to pick up, you have indeedbeen on a huge roller coaster ride. Best wishes for continuing improvement. :yay:
 
Sleep issues are all part of the game, so to speak. I had two great friends who had TKR's ahead of me and they all warned me about the sleep issues that each of them had. I thought that I would be different and not have any! Boy, did I have a thing or two to learn.

Do you remember Diogenes, who wandered around looking for one honest man? I was like him in a way---I wandered around the house at night looking for a place to sleep---somewhere that I could get comfortable. I tried my bed, moved to the guest bed, went to the sofa in the living room, and finally to the futon in the computer room---and then I would throw the futon mattress on the floor and crash there.

I was watching about every Law and Order TV show that was on late night TV! It was on one of those late night journies through sleeplessness land that I found Bonesmart!

I went back to the classroom at eight weeks and on two hours of sleep the night before. I finally gave in to what my OS had suggested---I took Ambien for ten nights and that re-established my sleep pattern---I haven't looked back!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom