Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hoping for a new me after this new knee...at 37!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to post because we have so much in common!
I am also a teacher- a high school math teacher, and had my first tkr (left) when I was 35 , my 2nd (right) when I was 36- with an MUA 10 weeks later- and then a revision on that right one a year after that.
For some reason I felt like because I was young that I had to have this "stellar" recovery- that I had to be top of the game and be setting the world on fire. There was this thought in my head that I wasn't doing a good job if I was "behind" any of the older patients at PT or if they did anything better than me. Because of that thought, I tended to push a little more and ended up overworking myself and doing more damage than good.
If I did it again, I would do things the right way and be more relaxed in my recovery. I would not go back to coaching Varsity soccer at 7 weeks post-op - where I was on my feet and walking the full length of the field for 2 hours at a time twice a day- and I would listen to everyone to slow down.
Good luck with your recovery! When are you going back to school/work?
 
Hi, all! So, I saw a new PT guy today. I think we should clone him so everyone can see him. Right after he introduced himself, he explained his philosophy of knee replacement therapy... Anyone wanna guess what it is? :tada:

It's the mantra! He also believes the most important aspect is TIME and giving yourself the opportunity to heal while gently working on movement.

Needless to say, I felt so much more relaxed today that I wasn't my own worst enemy. I was doing things pain free and making huge progress. He encouraged me rather than trying to scare the bujeezus out of me! I changed all of my future appointments so I'm with him from now on. :dancy:

Nmscienceteacher, it absolutely gave me a chuckle! Nice to meet you!

Coachie... We DO have lots in common! Nice to meet you too.

I can't say too many times how thankful I am for finding this forum and "meeting" all of you! :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hoping for a new me after this new knee...at 37!
And we can't tell you too many times that we are delighted that you found us and that we have been able to be helpful and supportive in your journey so far.
 
Hi, all! So, I saw a new PT guy today. I think we should clone him so everyone can see him. Right after he introduced himself, he explained his philosophy of knee replacement therapy... Anyone wanna guess what it is? :tada:

It's the mantra! He also believes the most important aspect is TIME and giving yourself the opportunity to heal while gently working on movement.

Needless to say, I felt so much more relaxed today that I wasn't my own worst enemy. I was doing things pain free and making huge progress. He encouraged me rather than trying to scare the bujeezus out of me! I changed all of my future appointments so I'm with him from now on. :dancy:

Nmscienceteacher, it absolutely gave me a chuckle! Nice to meet you!

Coachie... We DO have lots in common! Nice to meet you too.

I can't say too many times how thankful I am for finding this forum and "meeting" all of you! :)

So glad you had a positive experience with your PT!! I wanted to address your issue of muscle spasms. I had these myself, and my dr. prescribed some Valium for me, it really helped a lot, and may be something you might want to ask about.
 
MY OS jumped on th ball pretty with the muscle spasms, he prescribed Robaxin(muscle relaxer) before I ever had to say anything about it while I was still in the hospital. They seem to be a quite mild medication and agreed with me quite well and worked liked a charm. Glad to have you with us here on BS.
 
I am so happy that you have a good PT. It will make such a difference in your recovery!
As Coachie said, be sensible about how much you do when you return back to school/work! I jumped right into work and it backfired on me in a big way.
Sounds like things are moving along for you. May it continue.
Best,
Sandy
 
Thanks for the suggestions about the muscle spasms! I called my OS this afternoon, and he called In a prescription for a muscle relaxer. I had to stay up to finish grading those research papers so I didn't take it. I'm afraid that I won't wake up to get the boys ready for school if I take it now. Hmmm...dilemma!

I guess I'll see how it goes. Night, all!
 
Hi Stacey

I've been reading through the thread and i really hope you are having a great day today and your PT yesterday was better. I've 4 weeks to go and will be taking on board EVERYTHING I'm learning from the wonderful Bone Smartie guys and gals!
:yay:
 
Hi.
What muscle relaxer did you get?
The one I take is scored on one side, so I can split them in half. If I take the whole one, I get goofy(ier):) .
Usually half works to relax the spasms.
A good massage also works well.
Best to you,
Sandy
 
Hi, Fernie! Let me tell you...this site has been my saving grace. It's very comforting to know people aware out there who understand what you are going through and can give you an idea of what to expect in the future. I truly thought I was prepared. I spoke to everyone in the OS office, researched online, and listened to a few people who apparently are superheroes because they said it was a piece of cake. Umm...not so much!

The people on this site have provided excellent advice and made me feel much more at ease. It's very true that people just don't get it if they haven't been through it. Friends and family may have the best of intentions, but they will secretly get frustrated or say something that seems completely insensitive without even realizing it.

Just know that there will be discomfort. You will be absolutely zapped of energy from the smallest task. You will be emotional...maybe cry at the drop of a hat. You will probably be frustrated because you need to rely on everyone else, not to mention bored to tears.

Read the forum because it is constantly updated. I know that if you go into this knowing what to expect, it will be a million times smoother. Good luck! I'm going to follow your progress if that's ok. :)
 
Hi Sandy. They gave me Soma. It's not scored, but they said I can break it in half. The nurse told me to be careful because they call it Coma Soma. I chuckled at that one. I'm actually getting ready to take it. So, if I'm absent for a while, you'll know why! :happydance:

Stacey
 
Hello, I'm just chuckling along reading your thread, must be something about that florida sunshine, makes us stubborn, thinking we should be up and out right away....listen to the bonesmarties, they are correct.....I'm fighting all the way too, wanting to heal NOW! I'm learning, the knee is the boss, it'll get better in it's own time. You have the right to a good PT, pushing too hard is not the answer..if you push too hard, it'll just take longer to heal....I'm 3 weeks out and just took my 1st walk outside, just a short one 15 minutes, I'm back to icing and tylenol. Please listen to the mantra.....you'll be happier in the long run! Good luck to you, keep posting, everyone here knows what you're going thru......
 
Very true.
Soma (Carisprodol) is super sedating. ITA cut it in half and try it at night. "Soma coma". Funny.
It is good stuff though. I used it for a while after my revision. I use a different one now, but Soma is great.
Best,
S.
 
Hi everyone. I am wondering if anyone has some input on this...

When I was in the hospital my iron was really low. I had two blood transfusions. Today I'm really sleepy, weak,and have the metallic taste in my mouth. I'm pretty sure this can be attributed to the anemia, and I have an appointment for tomorrow with my OS.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this.

Can I wait till the appointment tomorrow or should I go to an urgent care center today?

I don't want to jump the gun, but I also don't want to ignore it if it needs to be dealt with immediately. Thanks, and I hope you're having a great day.
 
Hi Stacey, read my thread if you get a chance and you'll see my fears are my little daughter, having to rely on hubby and friends for help, who are already busy with their own kids and lives and also getting back to work, or at least home working, in a few weeks or so. I've still not told my boss this is comingup :sad:. I waslooking at the badges of honour earlier, yikes, they are grim at first!

I don't know about your iron levels, wow 2transfusiLos, I'm sure someone will advise you soon, but can you call the OS fr some advice perhaps? I hope you are ok, take care. :flwrysmile:
 
Fernie! You should definitely be talking with your boss about this. You could be out of work anywhere from 8 weeks on up and they should know...just an opinion. Trust me, I went back to work early and I regretted every minute of every day.
 
Remind your PT they he/she works for you, not the other way around. Suggest to them that if they hurt you and you have told them to stop that they are committing an assault.

When they try to guilt trip you and threaten you with MUA, find another PT!

I told my PT that if she hurt me, I might hurt her, my punch would just be a reflex to the pain.

Our relationship improved after that, my ROM improved nicely without pain and I didn't have to punch her.
 
I taught 7th grade for 20 years before my knees gave up. Now, I am just loafing! :wink:
 
I basically told my PT person to stuff it today, after she tried to guilt trip me for leaving early so I could go swim (actually, Ai Chi). She's lucky it was a group session or I really would have given her major grief. I'm going to call her supervisor tomorrow & see about switching. As y'all say, we pay them. Unfortunately, I have to go to this provider, for insurance reasons. Ugh.
Anyway, also had my RTKR on Dec. 17. It's ... quite something. My husband's birthday dinner last night was takeout because I was so wiped. Oh well. It was good takeout.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom