TKR Hoping for a new me after this new knee...at 37!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to try some Ambien tonight. It's either that or ... I can't keep taking naps every day.
 
Next to my slight limp that took five months to go away, I would say that the sleeplessness was the second most frustrating thing about my BTKR recovery. I remember my OS telling me that the studies he had read indicated that nobody really knew why it happened.

I was not in any pain; it was just that I could not get comfortable. I began to dread night time because of all of the frustrations that it would bring.
 
Next to my slight limp that took five months to go away, I would say that the sleeplessness was the second most frustrating thing about my BTKR recovery. I remember my OS telling me that the studies he had read indicated that nobody really knew why it happened.

I was not in any pain; it was just that I could not get comfortable. I began to dread night time because of all of the frustrations that it would bring.

hi Tim, after my 2nd scope i remember having trouble sleeping, especially when I was coming off the drugs. although I found I could usually cat nap during the day time, which is what I did. My husband is a very light sleeper and the slightest shifting about disturbs him and we dont have spare room and bed options, so I'm guessing it could be the sofa and twilight Crime TV programmes for me for a while :sad: . I'm hopeful the meds at night will knock me out for a while. At the end of the day, I wont be working so can catch up with sleep whenever I get the opportunity - its amazing how many people seem to be restless and not sleeping at night during recovery.
 
I would fall asleep for about an hour or so in bed, then wake up and find that I could not get comfortable. Some nights sleep did not come at all---I would also nap during the day, but I wanted my life to be as "normal" as possible. I would wander around the house; I would go to the guest bedroom, the couch in the living room, to the futon in the computer room, and then finally I would throw the futon mattress on the floor and collapse there.

I went back to teaching on a day when I had about two hour's sleep---and I knew that it was not going to work.

I finally gave in and called my OS, who had said that he would write me a prescription for Ambien. Ten nights of that and my sleep schedule got back into the groove---and I was sleeping fine from then on.
 
I have found that pain medication itself that causes me to have sleep problems. Tramadol is the worst, I can sleep for about 25 minutes at a time. I don't simply awake with Hydrocodone but it seems to make my legs jump and spasm (not at all acceptable when in pain). It is a curious thing to read about so many others with sleep problems.

Thanks for the tips on Ambien, I'll have to add that to my list to remember if the need arises when it's my turn.
 
I have suffered for years with heavy legs, that give me hell in bed. When I had my RTKR sleeping was even worse as I could not lay down for weeks, I am only now at 11 weeks lying down for about 5 hours a night, although stiff heavy painful legs wake me up. After that I sit up with two thick pillows behind me and a V pillow. I then put a wedge in the bed that elevates my legs I also do this whenever I cannot sleep, the wedge was good investment. I have not found anything works on restless legs, I do take two Co-Codamol and it helps if I am lucky :).

https://www.amazon.com/Ortho-Leg-Elevator-Wedge/dp/B0016MHI2Y?tag=ate362da-20

Sheila
 
Hi, all. I hope you've had a great week. This is week 6 for me.

I have moved up to about 4 hours of straight sleep so I'm really excited about it. :dancy:

I do have another question though. I am having a really uncomfortable (sometimes painful) feeling when I bend my leg. It feels like something is pulling really hard on the inner side of my leg at the bottom of my knee, if that makes any sense at all...

Any idea what that is?

My knee has been pretty swollen all week so I'm sure that's part of the problem too. It is angry with me so it's refusing to bend.

Well, I'm off to watch some NCIS. Have a great night!

Stacey
 
Some NCIS and NCIS LA should really loosen things up Stacey!! Just bicycle while laying on your back! I suspect you are correct n theorizing the swelling has something to do with this. My anti-inflamatory prescription had expired and I was surprised at how quickly swelling, stiffness, and pain ratcheted up until I got a new prescription.
 
I am on Celebrex 200 mg. I had been on it for a couple of years and then it recently expired. I also take Limbrel, which is more for my fibromyalgia, but it too seems helpful for inflammation. But I went back on the Celebrex 3 days ago and really was quite surprised in how quickly I felt much better.
 
Hi everyone. I hope you are having a great weekend so far. :)

Well, I'm in week seven, and it seems to be getting better every day. I hope I don't jinx myself be saying this so I'll knock on some wood...

Anyway, I have a few more milestones to report. I'm really excited because I'm not a weepy mess anymore! The crying fits have stopped, and now I'm averaging about 6 hours of sleep each night. It's not a straight shot yet, but I'm only waking up a few times. :sleep:

I am doing pretty good at getting around without the cane, but I keep it with me just in case. Work is going pretty well, but I am really swollen at the end of the day. I come home after school, ice and elevate, then I don't move until the next morning. I don't have as much pain as I did before, and I've noticed that I have more meds left at the end of the day.

PT is also going well. I'm still doing ten minutes on the bike, but I've added squats, leg presses, gentle strengthening exercises, and steps to the program. Extension is between 1 and 3. Flexion got to 106 on Thursday.

My PT guy taught me another cool trick to relieve the pain and swelling. He showed me how to use a mini sink plunger on the top of my knee. He gently moved it up, down, back, and forth. He explained that it pulls fluid from the inner portions of the knee and helps move it elsewhere like a pump. Whatever the reason, it works for me. I have done this every night and it feels amazing. :happydance:

Good night my Bonesmart friends!
 
Sounds awesome bmxmama! The steady progress has got to feel wonderful! I have to admit my "same day" knee is feeling pretty good as well. I see I need to check the housewares departmet at teh hardware store for a "mini plunger"!! Love hearing the new techniques.
 
Sounds awesome bmxmama! The steady progress has got to feel wonderful! I have to admit my "same day" knee is feeling pretty good as well. I see I need to check the housewares departmet at teh hardware store for a "mini plunger"!! Love hearing the new techniques.

Hi Stacey, really pleased o hear you are doing so well, keep going!

Lynn, you and me both loving the mini plunger technique, I'm starting my PT next week.

Take care :flwrysmile:
 
Sounds good!!! I kept my cane well past when I needed it more as a psychological crutch than physical. Sleep will improve, as you can see, with time. Milestones lead to new milestones. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom