THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Hi :wave: Thanks for the update!
Yes, agree, you're addressing the infection and I wish you the best on that front. So sorry for that set-back.
Wonderful news on socks, stairs, driving, walking with more ease and losing Recovery Aids. :happydance:
I'd continue to ice and rest at night as long as you're suffering pain or fatigue.
Best of luck with the swimming and diet. You're headed in the right direction. I hope it only gets better!
@SurreyGirl
 
Oh, @SurreyGirl, your list reminded me of that over the toilet seat which unlike you, I absolutely loved. Even when I really didn't need it anymore as the strength in my quads had improved sufficiently that I could lower myself and get back up without it, I kept it for a few more weeks until I was embarrassed and my husband really didn't appreciate having it in our bathroom. But it was sure nice in the middle of the night! Being tall, and with an old toilet that is low to the ground, I appreciated having a much higher seat in any groggy middle of the night bathroom calls! But it got disassembled and stashed in the attic, waiting for hip #2 someday. Despite your new issue with dental woes, sounds like you are continuing, slowly but surely, to progress with your hip. I think we all are stiff after sitting too long, so that might simply be "the way it's gonna be" from here on out. Your vow to get up more frequently and do more walking is probably a sensible approach. And I'm sure being able to successfully get in and out of your cute little car and driving it is a big step forward. And given your punishing work schedule, I can completely understand being exhausted at the end of the day. Hang in there, you are doing GREAT--just remember where you started and you will realize the incredible progress you've made. Hurray for you!
 
Saw my physio today and walked in without the crutch. Yay! During the massage part she said that the area around the scar was a lot better and the scar was healing uniformly. She thinks the pops and crackles st the top of the scar and the slight muscle pain I am getting is due to the number of stairs and slopes I have been tackling over the last fortnight.

We spent quite a bit of time on walking, gait and some stairs do she could see how natural I looked. All in all a very positive meeting.

We discussed good and bad things to do at the gym as I want to get some sessions in before Christmas. She constantly emphasised not overdoing it.

A food and wine evening tonight that I have been really looking forward to. Sadly no wind as in strong antibiotics “Metronidazole” for the tooth infection. I am determined to enjoy myself anyway!
 
Great update, SurreyGirl!
It sounds as though things continue to improve for you.
I'm sure you'll have fun tonight, without alcohol. After all....why not?!!
Enjoy!
@SurreyGirl
 
Thanks! It was fun and informative. The food was really good and the wine portions generous although sadly I could not partake.

I had very small sips of eachsample and then passed the glass to hubby. He got so drunk he got into the taxi without settling the bill! Much embarrassment when we got home to find a polite but firm message from the pub!

I was “not best pleased”!

Oh well. No alcohol will help my diet ore Christmas.

Have a great day everyone..
 
I'd rather owe it to you, then beat you out of it!:heehee:
Maybe he will "diet" with you.

Hope you have a good day @SurreyGirl
 
Hi @SurreyGirl

I read your entire thread last night. It has all the makings of a good good mini series.

Well written script. Check
Pain. Check
Butchery. Check
Drugs. Check
Bit of booze. Check
Fine dining. Check
Sports cars. Check
Musicians. Check
1st class air travel to exotic destinations. Check
person boss. Check
No sex, but I assume you self censored in order to comply with forum rules. (No worries we can sell it for all ages viewing) .

Sorry to hear you’re having BP issues, and now dental trouble. root canal work really sucks, its right up there with hip replacement in my narcissistic hypochondriac world view.

I feel for you. I wish you strength and comfort and a quick and pain free recovery from hip, tooth and Bp.

Ps. I was at my OS this week, and I told him that I am seeing the oral hygienist next week. He gave me the gypsies warning about taking antibiotics prophylactically before the visit, notwithstanding all the literature I have read on here which says that its ****. After seeing the intense suffering endured by the hip infection posters, I have decided to take them and be damned.

Pps. I ride in the virtual world (on An app called Zwift) in Surrey. Box Hill, Keith Hill, and Leith Hill are killers, but I dunno if they exist in real life. Do they?
 
@Harryn1
Thanks for the compliment! I sometimes revisit the early days of my recovery blog and laugh and cry at the same time. It is amazing how morphine inspires creativity, but every word is true I assure you.

The blog about the wonderful recovery home I went to is still being written as are the continuing diaries of life on an exotic isle which cover a whole range of subjects and not all of them pleasant.. I had an article published recently so was chuffed about that. One day deadline to do it and 500 words. It was a bit of a tourist “puff” but oneday I will tell it for real.

Box Hill and Leith Hill certainly exist and are tough for cyclists. The roads around Peaslake on a Sunday are chock full of the Lycra ones who refresh themselves, after a hard pedal, in the many pubs around there. Keith Hill I am not aware of.

Despite the woes I am still optimistic but just wish the “illness Shades” would leave me alone when I am trying so hard to recover! “Hermione the Hip” is still improving as are my knees although I need to get off my backside and walk more.

I regard being on the antibiotics as a mixed blessing as I am losing weight as off wine but am the “Banquo at the Feast” at Christmas dinner parties as the only one vaguely sober.... I naturally intend to redress this situation as soon as I can...

@Barbaraj the stiffness upon rising (no sniggering now men) does get better. I find it much easier to get going in the morning. Being back on a proper mattress does help even though my husband’s Seismic Snoring does not!

Ah well, another day at the Academic CoalFace. Things getting more settled. Hi Ho!
 
Big progress, well done.
Do see an endodontist if you can, more likelihood of saving the tooth. My dentist and hygienist do not require antibiotics before routine treatment without infection.
 
Out to a family Italian restaurant with friends last night. Bags of atmosphere and great food. Run by three generations of Italians so served by 16 year old waiters who were lovely.

The restaurant is having an accordion evening shortly with the accordionist taking requests from any genre. And a sing a long of Italian songs and the rest. Should be hilarious. A bit of a “busmans holiday” for hubby and me but should be fun....

Still on the strong antibiotics so Being the only one sober person on our table was funny too. I had token sips of the prosecco and Gavi but didn’t crave it. Sparkling mineral water for me!

Raining cats and dogs here and the building plot for 800 houses down our road is starting to flood. Might go out with a go pro later!
 
Hey, good morning, @SurreyGirl. I hope the weekend deluge has subsided and flooding receded at the building plot. We're enjoying glorious sunshine here, and according to the weather forecaster, we'll have sunny, cold days all week. I had a very busy weekend, but today husband is off to a meeting for most of the day so I am vegging out this morning. Noticing fatigue at day's end, more so than before surgery, is still something that is plaguing me, but at least I get to sleep quickly these days and sleep well. My husband snores horribly, too (my daughter, who spent Saturday night with us due to a power outage in their neighborhood asked me how I could "stand" it at night) but I think I'm used to it by now and when I sleep as hard as I do these days, I don't really notice it. So, I guess there is a "positive" to energy drain! Hope you are starting off today well--work, I'm guessing--but you are holding up well. How many more days on antibiotics? Bummer not being able to indulge in alcoholic beverages but you are smart to follow the rules and not imbibe. Have a great day!
 
Friday!:yes!:
Hope you get a well deserved restful weekend @SurreyGirl

You will be celebrating five months right about Christmas and isn't it going so much brighter this year?:treestar:
We are very lucky hippys!
 
Hi and thanks everyone!

Appraisal went really well and was fair. No issues. Over for another year thank goodness.

Dentist managed to get to and clean out the third root canal. She was so pleased to have found it as it was not easy but recommended I saw a specialist for the cracked tooth. She recommended one that does a cat scan. I have this new “Joy” next year so hope the tooth settles a bit now. Off antibiotics now. Hurrah!

Looking forward to Christmas and being able to walk pain free. Hip still stiff if sitting too long but getting some lunchtime walks in helps...

Have a great weekend!
 
Happy Friday!
It's good to hear you're getting the dental issues under control.
Sorry you had to experience that, no fun! Now you can celebrate the end of the antibiotics, lol.
I hope you have a great weekend!
@SurreyGirl
 
The dentist took the trouble to phone the specialist to find out if they had a cat scan before making the recommendation. I was impressed. She was also so careful with me ee the root canal. I was “under the drill” for 40 mins so it was quite a long time to breathe through my nose and not panic!
 
Yikes, root canals after hip replacement! Totally not fair. So glad things seem to be resolving, tooth-wise, and you have my sympathy regarding the Tooth Antibiotics. Yuk. Those things are just gross to take. Blech. But sounds like you’re almost finished taking them, so hooray! Back to imbibing again

Related to the discussion in this thread RE antibiotics for dentist visits, I’m wondering why there needs to be all of these differing edicts from OSs post hip replacement? Egad. These folks are all over the map! Categories of completely conflicting edicts include: 1. Antibiotics for teeth hygiene, 2. Blood thinning regime (meds And stockings), 3. Activity restrictions, 4. PT or no PT. Anterior vs. posterior differences notwithstanding, these things vary completely across the continuum! For Pete’s sake, why? Isn’t there some reliable research out there regarding all of these issues that might refine the whole business a bit, so we hippies don’t have to deal with absolutely conflicting advice?

Just a wee rant to my fellow hippies. Carry on healing and sorting out your post-op instructions!
 
Back
Top Bottom