Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Hope for 2020, Revised THR

@Fit4Family I think you will find it just happens. For me, it's been a bit like forgetting the middle of the day pain meds. I came down the stairs with my cane, and just continued on without grabbing my walker. Now, it is walking away from the cane and wondering where I left it.

I had not walked unassisted for a couple of years. I was surprised how easily it cane back. My only issue is trusting my leg will hold without pain. You got this!
 
@Fit4Family I agree it takes time and patience. Patience is a virtue I didn't used to have but there is nothing we can do about it except trust one day we will be walking without any aids or limping. The transition from walker to cane took me a couple weeks of trying as I was limping then one day I used an older cane I had which gave me more support than the lighter one I was using and it was easier. Not sure if it was the actual cane or just was my time to start walking with cane. I still find 2 things...some days if I've over done things I limp and need to use 2 canes in the morning in the house and some days I am walking 10 feet without the cane without even thinking about it. So I am hoping another week down the road it will be easier. I hope things continue to go well for you and easy with no pain. We all progress so differently but slow and steady is my new motto.
 
You're doing great! You'll get there slowly but surely.
You realize you're able to walk unassisted because your OS had you do it. Now you can concentrate on gait.
Mastering gait can take time and its is also a possibility as to why your knee is bothering you....your gait is changing once again. At least that's how a PA explained it to me after I complained about my knee.

Below is an article from the BoneSmart Library that you may not have read. It could help you figure out which approach was used during your THR since you mentioned you weren't sure.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/thr-approaches-or-incisions.5428/

Wishing you a great day....Happy Thursday!
@Fit4Family
 
Antero-Lateral it is. ❤️ Thank you @Layla for article and words of wisdom. I am trying to work on gait. Good to know it takes time. I have a crazy gait right now. Happy Thursday!

Thank you for the encouraging thoughts @SarahBee and @lotusbuds Where would I be without my hipster sisters?
 
I never used anything on my first scar and the other day I was trying to see where it is in relation to my new scar and can't even see it! So either my eyes have gone to the dogs or it's faded right out.

How does one learn to walk again?
Not sure how much you know about me, so cliff notes: Fell and broke my tibial right below the knee, was non weight bearing and 25% for 4.5 months, graduated to 50% weight bearing and fell and broke my hip 2 days later. Had a partial replacement (stem). My femur broke during that surgery so my weight bearing was restricted for bother my knee and hip. In the end, I was about 7 months with not walking properly or walking at all. Eventually we started going to a warm pool and I could walk using a pool noodle or holding onto the edge. In the beginning, I had to get into the pool in a wheelchair but could stand and walk in the pool with the noodle and a bit of help. After only a week or two, I no longer needed my husband right with me and would walk in the pool, kick my legs in reclined position an some stretching hanging onto the sides. I was able to concentrate on heel/toe, saw my muscles start to tone up and get stronger. I swear by how I did it. I will be doing the same once I can get in water again I think.
 
Wow, @Carriemay60 you have been through so much. No wonder you knew so much about preparation. Thank you for sharing your story. I really hope that your new hip brings you much deserved relief. Water walking makes so much sense. I think I will start there too when I’m released to exercise. My muscles don’t fire together yet, probably why I’m walking so stiff. Assuming I will need pool shoes too. I might as well start preparing while I wait. Happy Thursday! :flwrysmile:
 
I didn't use pool shoes myself. I had my toes painted bright pink by coincidence but it came in handy to watch my foot direction as I worked on gait. My husband figured it was to make me easier to find in the pool. Goofball!
 
I too love the pink toes and will be getting a pedicure next week so may go outrageous on the colour.
Pool exercise is the best if you like water. so relaxing and movement is so much more easier.
Good luck!
 
40 days post surgery, 6 weeks Wednesday

This last four days really seemed to have turned the corner. Many improvements both physical and life/independence.
  • Sleeping regularly 8 hours with few night trips. This is huge, as really have not slept since October!
  • Walking most of day with cane!
  • Drove first time today! Our daughter is back from college!
  • First time shopping in months. Cane and cart really made it easy. Trader Joe’s is very small, so easy to get through whole store.
  • Removed shower bench from shower. Wear beach shoes for grip. Lovely to have more space in walk in shower.
  • Swelling drastically down. Can finally see bones in my feet. Bit to go, but think this has made the biggest improvement for sleep.
  • Lots of home tasks checked off, stripping sheets, light cleaning, making meals etc.
Happy Monday hipsters!! Feeling so hopeful and excited for summer.
 
Wow! That is quite an improvement for you! And beach shoes in the shower...........why didn't I think of that!!!! Those would have been perfect, great idea! Just remember to get some rest in when you can and take care of yourself. Enjoy the time with your daughter!
 
Thank you @SE Florida Wonderful to have our daughter home. She is a foodie and loves to cook, so huge win for all of us.

I am so hoping @Fairydell that sleep finds you soon. I’m with you that it tops chocolate and flowers. Really think it’s time for some, sure was for me. Keeping you in my thoughts. ❤️

Thank you @59billy Crazy how freeing a little independence is.
 
I've been catching up with folks and oh my stars...Great update!:tada:
Some amazing restorative sleep is definitely a huge help for beginning to feel normal again.
Glad your daughter is home and that the light is getting brighter at the end of the tunnel.
Hope today is a Good Day!:) :-) (:
 
Lots of wonderful progress for sure!! I can hardly wait to gain that bit of independence. I am sure you are loving your daughter home - I was always like a kid at Christmas when mine came home on term breaks. It will be nice for you to have a bit of company during the day and maybe doing a bit of cooking together. :friends:
 
Back
Top Bottom