Revision THR Hope for 2020, Revised THR

Almost two weeks, Sarah. Congratulations on elevating to the cane. I am so, so glad to hear you are doing so well.

Beautiful picture of the snow and sky. We had black ice this morning and no snow. I used two items to ferry me safely to my garage. My ice gripper shoes should be here soon.
 
Must have slept too much or messed with Mr. Sandman some how, as last night was not restful shall we say. @leejaa @Laskyd @Elf1 No two nights are the same with this recovery. Last night it was heal pain. Up early enjoying the quiet before getting son out the door for school.

Two weeks today @VSlowLife You be careful on ice! I am worried about first OS appointment next week. I haven’t gone anywhere yet. Don’t want to tempt fate with a fall. That’s how this all started. VA is ice country. We generally get very wet snow here that is beautiful and melts fast, but it also ices. Beautiful for looking outside, not so much for new hips. Ice gripper shoes sound very smart. ❤
 
Last edited:
Hi Sarah!
I read where you mentioned that you are doing some of the Lymph Drainage techniques and I so hope it has helped you. I remember reading early on in your thread that you tend to experience a good bit of leg swelling. That had to be worrisome for you, too.
We have had snow squalls and some icy areas today, but nothing is sticking to the ground. I would be happy to not have any of that nonsense this season.. no slipping and sliding for any of us hippies!

Count me in on that tropical escape.. :SUNsmile::swim::martini:

Welcome home @CricketHip Hope you had a wonderful visit! :loveshwr:

Yes, swelling is just my thing I guess. Does seems to be improving (tops of feet and toes) , but I have to be diligent with your lymph draining and elevating multiple times a day. My knee took a hit those last months with a misaligned leg and stem. Hoping it is all soft tissue and will settle with time. Hard to know which is surgical fluid and which is inflammation from earlier wear and tear. On the positive side knee isn’t popping anymore which was happening with loose stem.

So far we have had a very mild winter. It will be in the 60’s later this week! I’m sure it will be hard for those of us trying to rehab in the winter. I’m not planning on PT this go around, so at least my exercise will be on my turf. Hope you have a wonderful week.
 
:mcoffee: Good morning, F4F.
Looks like a power nap will be in order today.
Last night it was heal pain.
I had this plaint also. Burning on my heels and seemed like maybe it was caused by friction or pressure?
My stepmother brought me a 'sheepy' that was gifted to her by my stepsister from New Zealand.
Just a small square of sheepskin she explained was used for placing the newborn babes tender skinned bodies on.
It was a great help.

Hang in there, friend.
:friends:
 
Thank you friend @Mojo333 I will try that. Think I can find a lovey or something around here.

We keep the same hours don’t we? We can be the coffee team on our tropical vacay. My husband says I am wired for the wrong time zone, always falling asleep in my chair by 8:30. He is the night owl.
 
Thank you, as I saw glistening ahead I froze, and thought about what to use to walk on it. I have new respect for winter surfaces.

I am sorry to learn that winter ice is what started your problem. Years ago when we had an extreme ice event, I used the walker to walk over ice I could not avoid, and it worked well.

Glad to read your knee is not popping anymore thanks to a more stable hip. I hope you can get out and enjoy the unusually warm weather for a bit. It will get about 54 here.
 
Yes, I'm an early riser and a happy waker-upper.
However, especially with it getting dark so early, I'm fairly useless at night.
:) :-) (:I like the early mornings.

I hate to brag, but am ever so happy that I don't have to deal much with that snow and ice stuff. It will be 69 degrees and sunny here today...extra warm even for Georgia in January.
Good thing too. I'm a klutz.

Please, everyone stay safe. No falling :bignono:
 
Thank you, as I saw glistening ahead I froze, and thought about what to use to walk on it. I have new respect for winter surfaces.

I am sorry to learn that winter ice is what started your problem. Years ago when we had an extreme ice event, I used the walker to walk over ice I could not avoid, and it worked well.

Glad to read your knee is not popping anymore thanks to a more stable hip. I hope you can get out and enjoy the unusually warm weather for a bit. It will get about 54 here.
I actually fell at Wegmans grocery store in the produce department. August, so no ice. Please be careful. You are almost there!!
 
Oh gee whiz. How awful! I will be. Thank you. This forum has taught me to be hyper vigilant about falls, even from wet leaves, both before and after hip surgery.

Fortunately we have a warm spell and all has melted. Yes, almost 3 weeks! So much preparing as you know.
 
My knee took a hit those last months with a misaligned leg and stem. Hoping it is all soft tissue and will settle with time. Hard to know which is surgical fluid and which is inflammation from earlier wear and tear. On the positive side knee isn’t popping anymore which was happening with loose stem.

Hopefully you will find your knee is much better with a good hip @Fit4Family . My knee has improved tremendously during my recovery. Even though I was 10 months out from TKR I was icing at least twice a day because it bothered me so much. In the last 2 weeks I haven't even thought of icing my knee, it's like suddenly I'm thinking oh yeah, I have a knee replacement!
 
Yes, crazy weather and happy two week anniversary, Sarah. All those little niggly-wiggly healing/recovery things are going on, huh? That sounds great. You’re normal again! :rotfl: I feel good and relieved knowing you’re well on your way.
@Mojo333 and Sarah: funny aside: I made my husband (then fiancé) buy chains to travel to NE for Christmas then take us back to GA for my college. We only used them in GA after we crossed the state line. Everything was shut down but there we were puttering all over the place.
Ice. Only good for cold drinks and applying to joints. That’s what I feared most right before my surgery-walking across the parking lot to and from work. If I slipped, I was going down and most likely not getting up. Old man winter will be roaring into town tonight and then probably headed your way. So, please be careful dear friend Sarah. I will be anxiously awaiting your post-op report next week. XO ❤️ Pat
 
Very hopeful to hear @FCBayern I am icing my knee right now and one swollen area on my incision. I am encouraged that my foot naturally is pointed the proper direction now. Knee swelling is probably cause of pain, fair amount of bruising there the first 10 days. I’ve come to respect swelling as an amazing part of healing. Rather incredible what our bodies do for us post surgery. Thrilled you are moving so well at a bit over a month!

You made me laugh Pat with chains! @Hip4life I lived in Colorado prior to living here. We had crazy amounts of snow. But, excellent snow removal and everyone knew how to deal with it. Here, not so much. I had snow shoes in my car back then as you never knew when you’d find your car covered. I used to travel a lot, so I learned the hard way that a girl needed to be prepared. Here, it’s best to stay home. People get crazy. Lol
 
:hi:
Hope you are getting some sleep and mostly comfortable...as much as is possible at this point.
I'm already yearning for Spring...and we've barely had any winter here.
I love to see the new greens of rebirth and I know you will have seen so much progress by then.:flwrysmile:

Love this phrase from a lovely member...
Reclaiming a full and active life is worth the temporary pain of recovery.
:loveshwr:
 
You make me laugh @Mojo333 Yes, that member had a very loose interpretation of the word “temporary“. Although even with this lengthy road, it will sure be worth it when I walk again.

I am with you on green and rebirth. Was walking outside yesterday and noticed grass and moss here are very green. It’s been very mild. Darn Spring like. I took 5 or so unassisted steps yesterday towards my hubby. I know it will be possible. Still not there, but I can see the finish line this time. It is very, very sweet! The places I will go!
 
Last edited:
Thank you @Elf1 I may have been overly optimistic yesterday, but trying to hang on to the feeling.

Took an outing yesterday with my husband and son. Ride was hard. His car is not new hip friendly. Then we got to Target Superstore and it was raining. Floors were wet. I turned into the slowest moving person there walking in. Darn slow. In my optimistic mind, I imagined walking throughout store easily pushing cart. Abandoned cart fairly quickly and headed to carpeted areas. Walked around maybe 30 minutes total and was wiped out for the rest of the day. Son said, Mom, what were you thinking, why did you think this was a good idea? Great questions, don’t know. I am fine this morning. Slept ok. Just a little bit of reality in my morning cup of coffee. “Early days” as Mojo always reminds us.

:mcoffee:

Just keeping it real. Onward!
 
Mom, what were you thinking, why did you think this was a good idea? Great questions, don’t know.
I am going to guess you were feeling housebound and it was good for your spirit :angel: to be someplace different. It seems indoor stores with shopping carts (especially those with carpeting) are considered a good place to practice proper gait walking for hippies. Just a guess.
 
Perhaps nice for change of scenery and "aversion" therapy exercise for Grocerystoraphobia.
However....
Smart young man, your son.

Early days indeed and I'm sure there was sure to be some anxiety involved...
Stress is horrible on our immune systems.
You know better than most that recovery is so much a Mental Game.
Just because you can...well, you know.:wink:

Hope your Sunday is restful and restorative. :angel:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom