Revision THR Hope for 2020, Revised THR

I do have Nordic Trekking polls. I was using them regularly before tendonitis. Will have to wait a bit longer for the hills around me. Cool and sporty? What’s that? Yeah, I have not felt either in a long while. We will get there!!

You are cool and sporty!! I see it in you daily through your posts. You will get back to your poles,, they are waiting there for you. I am a back sleeper. But I trained myself to that years ago. Seems to be the best thing for my back. When I do sleep on my side, I use pillows.. those pillows are my lifelong friends. :roseshwr:
Your gardens sound so lovely, and the weather has been so nice. I hope that gives you a real lift in spirits. Have a great day!
 
I loved your description of your daughter's visit, @Fit4Family, ending with her departure with a full load of clean laundry--this brought a smile to my face as I remembered that with my children, too. But at least with the last two (the ones I remember at this point) I don't think I saw much of them during their trips home--they arrived with smiles and hugs, gave ME their laundry to do, and then took off to visit with their friends! Oh, they did show up for meals, however! Still, it was always lovely to see them and I actually don't mind doing laundry (shh...I know that is a dangerous admission)!

I hope your PT might have some answers for you, as to why your progress feels stalled right now and can suggest some different things that might work and kickstart your recovery a bit. I do think, however, that not only is recovery slow but there are often unexplainable plateaus where it feels like nothing is happening and it can be very frustrating. But, eventually, at least in my experience with hip number 1, there is improvement at some point and I continued slowly inching forward. You are going to get there, you know, so chin up and have faith!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning and a Happy Tuesday to you :wave:
I'll bet you're going to miss your daughter as she heads back to school. It sounds as though you had a great visit and family time is always special.

Hopefully you get some insight from PT this week in regard to your questions.
I really do think you'll need to be continually mindful that you're only seven months post op and while it can take a full year, it can also take some even longer. I've read up to two even two and a half years at times. Your circumstances were different than most you're tempted to compare your recovery with. While we all tend to focus on how the next guy is doing it can set one up for disappointment. Don't lose heart, better days are on the horizon. :)
@Fit4Family
 
Aww, you all made my day. ❤️ Daughter just drove out of driveway. She’s happy to get back to her guy and friends. Wouldn’t have it any other way, but got misty!

It is fine with me to do laundry when she’s back @Barbaraj I won’t tell if you won’t tell. :heehee: She works so hard at school, it’s nice when I can offer a hand. Kinda fun this time, no friends were home so I got to do lots of girly things. Pedicures, shopping, lunches out and about!

Laughed out loud that you think I’m sporty and cool @CricketHip My kids decidedly don’t agree. They have refrained from teasing, but I know our 14 year old wishes I had crutches. At least I’d look injured. Lol.

Appreciate your thoughts on sleeping @ceezee @Izabel My issue is most definitely stiffness. My wonky leg gets almost caught, dislocated feeling when I try to roll. Pillows don’t help it’s a locked up sensation. PT says it’s tight muscles. Not sure. Magnesium arrived so hoping it help!

Happy Tuesday @Layla You are always so thoughtful and must be able to read my mind. I know you are accurate about the reason behind my lengthy recovery. We decided to go ahead and schedule the MRI. Just for peace of mind. My husband just wants to be 100% sure. Particularly since pain has shifted to groin. Hoping it’s nothing, but I also would like to know what’s going on so I don’t continually irritate areas that aren’t quite healed.

Happy Tuesday all. Hope everyone is having a pain free day. :flwrysmile:
 
Well, well....look at you two beauties! While I liked your old avatar, this one is even lighter, brighter, cheerier.

Nice to hear you spent some quality time together having a pedicure and enjoying shopping and lunch. Hopefully you'll be re-united again soon for the holidays.

Can you believe that word, holidays, is entering into conversation already? I was just thinking yesterday that I could put the tree up in a month, if I really wanted to. Huh?!! A few years ago I began putting it up before Thanksgiving because it's a lot of work and I enjoy the lights on at night while watching tv or moving around the house. Since I'm one of those who takes it down as soon as Christmas is over, I've started to enjoy it longer on the other end. Enough on that.

I do hope the Magnesium works for you. I know it has helped others. Prayers all is well with your MRI. Please keep us posted and have a lovely Wednesday!
@Fit4Family
 
Thank you @Layla Memories of a fun day this weekend. Really lifted my spirits.

I know what you mean about the Holidays being just around the corner. 10 weeks until 2020. Which is crazy to me. I love decorating and putting up a tree just after. Thanksgiving. We cut down a fresh tree from a farm near by, usually stays nice though New Years. I am one of those that is silly about Thanksgiving too. I love that it’s a holiday focused on sharing time with the ones we love. Pie isn’t a bad thing either. Lol.

Appreciate your encouragement so much. You are always brighten my day, all over the forum. It’s pour here. We are thrilled. It has been weeks since we have seen a good rain. Enjoying some tea and happy to be home. :roseshwr:
 
I love your new avatar photo! You two look like sisters! Truth!

We are happy with getting some rain, today, too. Too dry for too long. But did it have to be a nor'easter? :chinstroke: But we take what we get.
I hope the remainder of your week goes well. You've been through so much, the stiffness surely will improve.. and here's hoping the magnesium helps! I still take mine in the evenings, I swear it helps me sleep better..
 
You are so kind @CricketHip

I didn’t know it was a Nor’easter. Lots of rain. Makes sense. It would have been crazy if snow.

I really appreciate all your expertise. I have continued the breathing you recommended. All great ideas. I think I may have rested a bit better last night with new magnesium. Fingers crossed it reduces stiffness.

Glad you are sleeping better. Makes such a difference when healing. Take care. :friends:
 
Hope the new magnesium helps, sleep is just so important for us. So excited, we're getting our Sleep Number mattress in Friday, really hope it helps our sleep.

Love your new avatar, awesome picture of you two. Glad you get to spend some much needed girl time. I used to have that with my one niece that is more like my daughter but now that she lives in Maryland we don't get to do it anymore. Luckily I'm starting to get close with two of my DILs and at least get to enjoy gab fests when they are here.

Hope you're having a good day! Keep us posted about the results of the MRI.
 
:wave: Sweet Sarah

Just responding to a few lovely folk here and of course could not leave you out.

Keep that chin up and have a peaceful day.

Just LOVE that pic of you pretty gals. xx

[Bonesmart.org] Hope for 2020, Revised THR Izzy xx
 
Wow, folks, all this talk about the upcoming holidays is starting to freak me out! Really? Are they truly just around the corner? NOOOOOO...! I am glad to read that you were happy to see some rain these week, as you really needed it, but I hope it doesn't stay around for too long. I find it gloomy to wake up morning after morning to overcast skies and drizzle--but that IS fall and winter in the PNW for the most part, so I just need to suck it up!

Also, @Fit4Family, lovely new avatar of pretty mama and her baby! Thumbs up! And hope magnesium continues to help with better sleep. I feel so fortunate that after the first few weeks, I've had no trouble sleeping. Still not a huge fan of back sleeping, but I got used to it and now usually get a pretty solid night's sleep regularly. Knock on wood.
 
Thank you all for your sweet comments about new pic. @ceezee @Izabel :loveshwr:

@Elf1 I was super aunt for years. How wonderful that you are bonding with you DILs. Last of my siblings to marry by many years. The wonderful part is that now that my nieces and nephews are all adults, we are still quite close. Several have had babies if there own.

Magnesium is really helping. I’ve doubled the dose and getting much better results. Take one morning and evening. Last night slept a record 6 hours without even stirring. Hoping this is answer I’ve been looking for.

@Barbaraj I hear you on holidays. I normally am not ready to think about any of it early. This year I am thrilled to not be on bed rest and hoping I can make it special as always for our crew. Last year was rough. I’m with you on back sleeping, but at this point sleeping of any kind is a big bonus!

Happy weekend all! Just put some purple mums in the ground. Nip in the air. High of 60 here. Very cool for Virginia.
 
So, 60 degrees is COOL in Virginia? Huh, around here that qualifies as somewhat warm, nice and comfortable, and we all cheer for those days. It's funny, I lived in Virginia as a child (Springfield) and I just remember the HOT summers and then a good deal of snow in the winter, so different from where I live now. Sounds like you do a much longer, slower slide into winter in your neck of the woods--impressive that you're out there planting mums, although I guess they are a fall flower--all those chrysanthemum bouquets at college football homecoming games must demonstrate that! Happy Friday, and have a good weekend, @Fit4Family!
 
Sounds like you had a great time with your daughter! Wishing you a good weekend. I'm also in the PNW and this weather of dark, wet and raining is hard to get used to. Makes everything harder for me in terms of exercise.
I continue to get inspired by this forum and people.
You are one of them.
Take good care and keep up the work with the trekking poles.
 
Hello @lotusbuds What a nice surprise to see you here this morning! I bet weeks of rain are hard to get used to. We have had so much heat that it is a relief to our trees and yard. Hope you are doing well. Going to see if you posted and update. Hope you have a wonderful day.
 
Hello All,

Hope everyone is getting more mobile and in less pain.

I had my MRI last Thursday and just got back from review with OS. Report showed lots of edema and inflammation. Gluteous minimus tendon still inflamed. Possible stress fracture at top of femur. OS said he was stumped what is taking so long. Said nothing there that would make him want to operate again at this point, unless pain gets much worse. Not a whole lot learned.

So back to original programming. Continuing to hope nature does its thing and keeps slowly knitting me back together. He strongly advised against any exercise except light walking, swimming and cycling as pain tolerates.

Sending healing vibes to all my hipster pals.
 
Last edited:
So sorry you didn't get better answers from your OS. I'm guessing there's a lot of ice :ice: in your future. Hopefully it helps with the swelling.

How or when will you know if there is a stress fracture? I would imagine that you definitely want to avoid strenuous exercise. Wish I had some solutions for you, best I can do is send a healing hug :console2: and keep you in my prayers :praying:.
 
Hi @Elf1 Prayers and healing hugs most definitely help. Thank you so much.

Thankfully all swelling is internal at this point. OS was not confident of any stress fracture. Sees nothing on X-rays. He believes the area radiology pointed to is from where pins were removed and bone graft was placed. Symptoms continue to point to tendonitis. I am hoping the tendon continues to improve. Definitely not worse than last month. So hard to know what is soft tissue healing and what is sore muscles from lack of moving about so long. MRI was very fuzzy from all the metal in there so not as clear as X-ray.

This past month have seen great improvement on outside muscles that run down outer side of leg. Have also been working on inner leg muscles with isolated exercise and a soft ball. Hoping all this will help stabilize my gait. Fingers crossed.

Hope you are continuing to improve. How’s that bed working out?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom