OP
OP
Fit4Family

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Hello @Hip4life
What a nice surprise to hear from you! So sorry about your pulled muscle. Glad the injection is providing you relief! Will go see if I can find an update for you. I am trying to focus on forward motion more than the date on the calendar. It is harder to see some days, but I know you know all about that. I am so grateful to be able to do most of what needs to be done. I missed quite a lot last year, so this year even if it’s hard to do, I am making the effort to show up to everything. It does my heart good! Sending love and blessings to you sweet friend. We will get there!! xxx Sarah ❤

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Sounds like a fun time with family at the resort, @Fit4Family and while I'm sure it was tiring, all that walking serves to strengthen up your muscles and help with this recovery. I hope your appointment with your OS next week will provide some insight, and maybe a revised plan going forward, as I am sure you are as heartily sick of the wobbly gait and stiffness. Glad you're still using your cane until you feel less uncertain. I am sure the buckling incident was scary and using a cane for security makes good sense. I think with continued PT, massage and daily walks you will see improvement, even though slower than you'd like. Cheers, and happy Tuesday.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Tuesday to you @Fit4Family
It's good to see you're encouraged by the changes you've noticed. I hope you have a reassuring visit with your surgeon next week. Thankfully the buckling incident seems isolated, fingers crossed it stays that way.
Enjoy your sons high school football season. Memories to cherish for sure.
A great rest of the week to you!

Hoppy Nanny

big-cheese
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
How lovely to hear from you Sarah and glad you had a great family reunion. Those low chairs are so hard to get out of ... I have never taken so much notice of chairs than since my THR’s..[emoji849]

Glad you are finding walking easier.... so keep up with the cane... in the scheme of things it’s so not important if it helps... funnily this week is the first time I can manage without one as my knee has started to behave better... less tantrums!!!

Hope the appointments goes well... trying to get back into routine after time away is tough..

Love & hugs Chrissie xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Debru4

graduate
Country
Sarah---i hope your appointment next week goes well. I admire your positive attitude and how you continue to reach out and support others while still dealing with your own concerns. It's always a good day when I hear how you are doing, and what you are doing as you keep moving forward in your rich, busy life!:loveshwr: Debbie

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Fit4Family - catching up on your thread and I see signs of improvement are happening!
Cant wait go hear about your follow up appointment next week!
Enjoy the weekend, I know I’m planning to. :SUNsmile:

OP
OP
Fit4Family

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Happy Weekend everyone!

I got on treadmill yesterday a couple of times. Very slow, but walked 10 minutes each time. Still steady myself with holding on right side. Really helped gate yesterday. Going to try to do three times today. Walking is only exercise my knee tolerates, so I am sticking with it.

Thank you all so much for your continued encouragement @Debru4 @Layla @CricketHip @Hoppy Nanny @Barbaraj

Enjoy your weekend!! :SUNsmile:

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Be careful on that treadmill, @Fit4Family! Even before hip surgery I was always nervous as I felt I'd have to pay such close attention to my walk to make sure I didn't go flying off the machine! But if walking is what your knee allows and you are able and committed to doing the treadmill regularly, then stick with it! You're headed in the right direction--chin up! Have a great Friday!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: Happy Friday!
How wonderful you're on the treadmill. It's great your knee tolerates it also. I'll bet it feels good to be exercising in that way. Take it slow and easy and ENJOY!
Wishing you a lovely weekend. :)
@Fit4Family

Debru4

graduate
Country
I'm glad you are feeling able to do your treadmill and are feeling like you are making more forward progress. As others have mentioned---do be careful. Hopefully you can maintain the line between "enough" and "too much".

Embarrassing to admit, but until I had my back surgery 9 years ago, I had never been on a treadmill. I am a walker and a hiker, but not a gym equipment girl. The first time my PT told me to get on the treadmill and walk I nearly wiped out. As I've mentioned before, she was good, but a bit of a drill sergeant, with very little warmth, and she yelled,"What are you doing? You act like you've never been on a treadmill before." When I admitted I hadn't, she shook her head, in disbelief ---I'm sure to her, that was impossible to imagine!:heehee:

I've thought about getting a treadmill but am not sure I'd really use it and given the cost/space requirements, I'm probably better off convincing myself to go to the Rec Center.:dancy: I do really well until winter hits and then my activity level, declines since it's harder to get out and walk as much, especially since I hate the cold! This year I am committed to doing a better job.

Izabel

graduate
Country
Portugal Portugal
I got on treadmill yesterday a couple of times.
:treadmill: Someone gave me one, rarely used, following my first hip replacement. All we had to do was collect it an hour or so away near Spain. Got it home and Hubby lugged/dragged it to foyer and set it up. It was quite a fancy one with safety turn off lock to wear around neck. Do you know, this contraption frightened the heebee jeebees out of me! :scaredycat:I tried it several times at the slowest one could do ... but it wasn't for me, no siree! Hubby utilised it for a brief while then we sold it and gave the money to the Bombeiros (volunteer firemen). Now I wish maybe it would be good to have one. :doh:

Be safe with it sweet thing and have a good weekend.

Flowers for You.jpeg Izzy xx

bickypeg

graduate
Country
Oh do tell me what you end up with @Debru4 ! I'm a walking girl only and I've lost sight of the bits of gym equipment our family has acquired and disposed of over the years. Must be at least 3 stationery bikes! I nearly did myself a horrible injury on one when I went to a physio class a couple of years ago. Either they didn't tell me or I didn't listen about adjusting the seat height. Tall but short legged I'm still not sure my groin area has recovered. I quite like swimming but there's all that getting wet and cold thing....

Debru4

graduate
Country
@bickypeg Our local rec department offers a weekly orientation to the gym equipment class that I might look into, as part of my exploration of how to stay fit in the winter. I understand from so many people that improper use of the equipment is common, and is far worse than no use at all, In fact, my PT was just sharing that there has been a huge increase in the number of clients they see due to misuse of equipment. As "going to the gym" has become more popular and for some folks, almost a status/competition of sorts, he said that too many people overdo, OR the gym gets new equipment that is slightly different and the users don't realize they need to adjust something.

So I plan to get trained before I'd start AND make sure someone was available to reteach should I forget.:heehee: And yes....exercising the the water is so good for you, but.....getting wet and cold stink. If the pools were like a warm bathtub, I might like it more. The only time I've ever really liked water walking/water aerobics was in the summer when I took the classes at an outdoor pool in the middle of the day---hot outside, sun warmed water, and I didn't mind so much.:SUNsmile: Are you able to walk year round where you live? Do you get winter snows/rains or ????

bickypeg

graduate
Country
Sadly not. Can be wet, misty, cool all year round here, though we had a lovely summer which lulled us into a false sense of security! It's very gloomy today although I believe much of England is enjoying a heatwave...

OP
OP
Fit4Family

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Hello All,

So, funny story about our treadmill. It’s 22 years old!! Rarely used, as I love being outdoors, but hate the gym or anything so tedious as walking no where. It has collected dust for years. Bought it when I was young and could run on it. So the funny part. Day three of my treadmill walking the thing died. I mean, loud creaking then nothing. I laughed so hard. After all these years of it just sitting there. It’s too old to fix, so it will have to be hauled out one day.

My darn knee is not playing nice. I am hoping OS will have answers tomorrow. Every time I slightly push myself I get a swollen, very sore knee. It is still bruised above my knee too. I may ask for an ultrasound just to rule out anything beside regular swelling. If anyone has any suggestions for me to ask I’d be very interested in your thoughts.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!! xxxxx ❤

@Layla @Izabel @bickypeg @Barbaraj @Debru4

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Sorry to read that your darn knee is STILL not playing nicely--what a drag! Sounds like your treadmill, @Fit4Family, like my stairclimber, both need to be hauled away. I did use mine for many, many years (loved doing it first thing in the morning, in my underwear before work, but once hip nonsense started, it's been simply gathering dust for a couple of years now. And the elliptical is so much easier on the joints, at least for me. Good luck at the OS's office tomorrow--I hope you get some insight and, more importantly, a plan for moving forward.

OP
OP
Fit4Family

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Thank you @Barbaraj Really hope OS does provide some answers.
So glad the elliptical is easier on your joints. I will have to try that some day. Pool is my next plan for rehabilitation.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I'll bet you love the pool @Fit4Family it seems so many do. You'll have to let us know how it goes.
Sorry that your knee still bothering you. I hope your surgeon has answers for you and a plan to resolve the issue. My knee has never been the same since surgery. Just tight / stiff which I know Josephine refers to as pain but I won't live on Tylenol and it doesn't hurt so I'm easily able to ignore it. But bruising and swelling that comes and goes would be more bothersome. Wondering if it's one of those things that will simply resolve over time since you're only six months post op. Hopefully so. Best of luck with your appointment tomorrow.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
R.I.P. treadmill. :rotfl: Hey, at least you got a good laugh out of it and sometimes laughing is so good for us!

Good luck at your OS appointment tomorrow. Your knee has been annoying you for quite some time. My only advice is to make sure your OS knows just how painful it's been and you want some sort of diagnostic evaluation.
If it's not anything serious then it will lift your spirits. If it is actually something, well then you'll know.
That's very important when you are on a long and winding road to recovery.

I'm so sorry you are still struggling with this. Layla had a very good point, it's still "only" 6 months. Who knows, maybe the knee was twisted in your fall and you didn't notice it due to the hip pain.. so it may need a lot of time.
Have a good night @Fit4Family, I hope you get a good night's sleep.

OP
OP
Fit4Family

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Hi @Layla I am sorry you have had on going knee stiffness. I am glad it doesn’t cause you pain. I don’t want to live on Tylenol either. I have been taking at bed time so that I can sleep. I sure hope my surgeon does have answers. Last time he really didn’t offer much advice about my knee. It’s clearly caused from the surgery as the swelling has never gone away. My husband is going with me so he can support my concerns. Really hope you are right that it’s just healing. Hope you had a good weekend.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nuala
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom