THR Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kim22, thanks! I was lucky that it's a small local airport and it was relatively quiet yesterday. I also hired a car to take me to and from the airport so I didn't have to walk the parking lot (it's supposed to be raining when I go home tomorrow, and I'm still doing my best to avoid falling.) and I took a taxi to the hotel instead of waiting in line for the city shuttle.

Thanks for your comment-- I hope you're feeling well soon. XO
 
BarbaraR You are travelling and sounding like you're feeling so good. What a great post and inspiration for us to know that we will be there someday soon too. I am at 5 weeks so just a few behind you and I see improvement, not everyday but from week to week now. So many of the ones who had surgery around the time you did have done so well that we don't see them much anymore, it's good to see you're planning on hanging around.
 
BarbaraR so you didn't set off any alarms at the airport. That's great! I need to travel next year and am dreading the big security lines and TSI interrogating me. Sounds like your planning made it go smoothly. How many hours are you up to at work per week? Isn't it tough to make people understand that you aren't 100% healed yet? They see you looking well and don't realize what went on in surgery. I've realized that this was the most major surgery I ever had and I've had quite a few.

sandybeach I was just telling my husband that while I may not notice a day to day difference, it almost seems like every weekend the improvement goes up a notch that I really notice. Your next hip is coming up soon and then you can really look forward to healing without a bad hip holding you back. I can imagine it's really difficult trying to rehab while still dealing with bone-on-bone pain. How was the driving to work?
 
designergirl , they didn't even react when I mentioned the hip. I expected to be wanded, but I wasn't. I started back to work at 40 hours, but I've cut back to about 30 for a few weeks. Yes, it is strange because I do look fine and am walking ok. But I'm at an all day meeting today and at about 4:00, I just ran out of gas-- I was exhausted, and we still had about an hour of work to do and then a dinner. I made it, but it was hard. And we start again at 8:00 tomorrow morning. I'm hoping for a good night's sleep.

sandybeach, I hope your next operation goes as smoothly, and yes, I'll stick around and make sure you're ok!
 
Wow BarbaraR I haven't looked by at your thread for a while and boy you are really doing well. 7 weeks and doing all that you are doing is wonderful, I just hope that I can be just even close to that!! I'm looking at going back to work at 6 weeks, that's 3 weeks time, but maybe just doing 3 days for the first couple of weeks and you have inspired me to thinking that it's very doable. I think my only stumbling block is my chair at work. Sat on a comfy chair or sofa at home I'm fine but if I try to sit at the dinner table I get really uncomfortable, do you have any tips and did you find some chairs uncomfortable? Keep doing what you're doing it's fantastic!! xx Janet
 
Hi Barbara!
I haven't chatted with you in a while!! Glad to hear things are going so well in your recovery!! I finally changed my PT to a women I went to years ago who helped my get through an OJI injury...nerve damage to my neck..and the only reason I didn't go to her was because she is not in my insurance plan. It is worth the extra money though!! She worked on me one on one and explained to me how I was walking incorrectly, which could be causing the spasms!!Since yesterday I have been practicing my walk and doing the exercises she gave me to stretch my thigh muscles..she thinks because my operated leg was shorter prior to the operation that the muscles are being pulled more than usual..which makes total sense!! I haven't had a bad spasm since and I finally see that May could be a possibility to go back to work!! You made it to an airport before me..I'm so jealous!
 
Littlejem thanks for reaching out. I find a lot of chairs uncomfortable after awhile, too, but it helps me to have a pillow or cushion that makes the chair softer and raises my hips slightly. (The worst chairs are in my PT's office....really?). I also get up and walk around a lot, and at this meeting where I'm sitting a lot, I have ice on my hip almost constantly. We were in a restaurant for a while last night, and I folded up my coat and sat on that!

acbelmar, I'm so happy that you found someone who could help you! You're right, it is worth the extra money. And I think you're smart to wait till you feel well to go back to work-- your work is very demanding.
 
Littlejem I have a 5" firm foam cushion, as BarbaraR mentions. I've had it for years, and even take it with me wherever I perform! Somebody somewhere mentioned putting a cushion in a little backpack, maing it easy to carry-- brilliant! (See? Another word I can use correctly!)
BarbaraR I hope you got a great sleep, and that today won't do you in. Eat well!!!!!
acbelmar doesn't the right PT make ALL the difference? :)
 
Thanks zauberflöte I think that's the way to go, I've tried a normal cushion but a foam cushion would have more support, thanks.
BarbaraR Thanks, I think it's the way to go, to take a foam cushion when I go out, just in case!!
:friends: Thanks guys xx
 
I was like Charlie Brown for months, except I carried my pillow everywhere... Now I wheel my ergonomic chair into the meeting rooms... and still have my stash of ice packs in the freezer at work.. I have a colleague who is about six months ahead of me and she has her ice packs nestled next to mine in the work freezer :heehee:
 
Poppet it was Linus who carried his blanket :) Was that strip popular in Australia too? Cool! I love that you and colleague keep your ice packs at work too :) I have a "rollie chair" at my computer table here, and I can wheel it around all over the house once the rugs are up-- yeeehaaww! Giddyup! I'll use my cane for a pole, be a gondolier(ess).
Littlejem you're welcome :) I found mine at a warehouse that mostly does industrial applications, but will cut to size anything that you want-- we have 2 beds, a couch, a chair, and my cushion!
 
Yep, I use it sometimes after I Nordic Walk especially if I haven't walked in a few weeks.. Life will be better when we retire and I can have a regular schedule of NW.. :)
 
BarbaraR I've not used ice yet at all, when do you use it and what does it help, is it pain or swelling?
 
Thanks BarbaraR, I'm sure it would be a good idea, I'll look at getting one of these. :)
 
BarbaraR,
Hey girl, how was the flight? I've been wondering what kind of experience I was in for the next trip. I am sorry to hear that you've had some pain/swelling and bursitis. Did you do anything specific or did it come from an increase in activity? I am trying to catch up with everyone since this virus knocked me back a bit. I am so tempted to do more but I'm also hesitant for fear I'll over do it. I waited for so long to feel better and don't want to do anything to set me back. Of course, that's the point, we want to get better so we can get back to life. Now I'm rambling but I am so excited to hear about your trip. Hope your feeling better today. :SUNsmile:
 
Weezi, hi, I hope you're feeling better. The trip was fine-- security was no big deal. The seats were uncomfortable, but the flight was only an hour, and I had no trouble walking through the airport. I was really tired by the end of each day, but that wasn't unexpected. Normal life-- yay! I think what I'm having are pretty normal aches and pains. Just have to be careful not to overdo-- I've been icing most of the day. No worries-- I'm really fine. I think it's hard to know how gradually to build activity-- sometimes I think I'm being lazy-- and sometimes I do too much and I'm exhausted. I'm sure you've experienced that, too. All part of recovery, right? I'm glad you're well enough to post. XO
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom