THR Home and Feeling Great!

Sun. eve we were out with family and took an escalator up after dinner to get ice cream. No problem for me or pup with hubby. When we are ready to leave, the down escalator is broken. I look around for an elevator, don't see one near, so do my first long stair descent with cane. Slowly, deliberately and mindfully, I made it down with no pain or problems. Another milestone!

Oh my stars... I didn't read that before. Good for you girl. :wink:
Hope all is getting better...I dont forget those first months of hurry up and wait!
Hope your weekend is sweet!:flwrysmile:
 
To Cane or Not to Cane? So, I used the cane on my last couple of walks of about a mile each and on my trip to the salon (had to park a block away) and errands. The pain in my shoulder and wrist totally outweigh the mild pain in the hip I had when I did the walks without it! I will walk today without the cane. I actually think my gait is better without the cane and certainly the shoulder situation is better without it. I nearly had the shoulder pain gone until yesterday. Ii will talk with the PT on Monday about this. My hand was falling asleep yesterday while walking with it and the arm and shoulder is so sore today (heat, ice,...).

Thanks Layla for acknowledging the adhesive issue. I had sores which have healed but it's still tender.

I was going to check back in to Weight Watchers today but feel like being a bit lazy today.

Going to the salon was wonderful and I went to Trader Joe's and bought some frozen meals that won't require heating the stove while we wait to get a new AC system. I'm so glad this challenge didn't occur during the first 4 weeks!

Wishing everyone a great healing weekend!
 
Hi @luvsibes
Consider talking to your OS, or PT about identifying that residual pain.....but if it were me and I wasn't limping.... I'd ditch the cane. It sounds like it's causing you more trouble than it's worth, currently. I sound like a broken record with this but does concentrating on heel-toe walking help with the pain, or not?
Having an aching shoulder and a hand falling asleep would make it very difficult to use the cane.
I hope the heat and ice help with that over the next few days.
Wishing you a great weekend!
 
Good job...just balance that walking with resting.
Glad you are "finding your stride"
:walking:
 
Good job...just balance that walking with resting.
Glad you are "finding your stride"
:walking:
Thanks Mojo! I just walked 1/4 miles very slowly and mindfully following hubby and Togo and without the cane. My stride is actually better without the cane and my arm felt better with a natural swing. It's been such a busy week with family visiting from east coast and g-dau leaving the country for a year to work and multiple family gatherings. Hubby is off to tend to his parents today and I get to be home alone with Togo and have a restful day reading and resting!
 
:hi:
Just dropping by to say Hi.
Noticed you're doing well through posts here and there on the forum.
Never worry about you, you've taken it slow and are having a fantastic recovery.
I see you spreading cheer on the forum. So very kind of you and much appreciated by many I'm sure.
Wishing you a wonderful finish to the week!
@luvsibes
 
Hi, Miss Impatient.:heehee:
Tired of waitng on that incision?
They did have to insert a piece of hardware in there!
I think you are doing great.
Patience IS prescribed in large doses.
You will be ready to rock in roll very soon!
Hope you have a Good Day!:SUNsmile:
 
Hi, Miss Impatient.:heehee:
Tired of waitng on that incision?
They did have to insert a piece of hardware in there!
I think you are doing great.
Patience IS prescribed in large doses.
You will be ready to rock in roll very soon!
Hope you have a Good Day!:SUNsmile:

Thanks @mojo - I need that reminder as do most of us as we pass the 1 month mark. Everything points to 3 months: sleep, wounds, restrictions lifted, etc. Even when we're doing great, it's hard to keep the vision of 3 months in focus as it seems like forever now that the post-op stuff is getting better! I am ready to rock and roll!

I have to say I'm pretty independent with my grabber tool and arabesque bend over move. I still need hubby to put on my walking shoes, socks, and dry and lotion my left calf! Two more months!
 
You are doing good...my clumsy golfers reach never achieved arabesque status...
Things will keep improving...and since you've been so good at behaving who knows where you will be even in a few short weeks.
Well worth the wait..I'm still surprised at my improvement!
Hope your night is peaceful!:ice:
 
Thanks Dear Mojo and Layla for the encouragement, kudos, and reminders to be patient! Yes, I'm in need of patience now!

I've kept a pretty positive outlook but yesterday and this morning I think I've hit the 6 week (today) marker of running out of that patience! At first, it was kinda nice to sit around and read and watch movies and have no real responsibilities. I've been getting out to meals, seeing friends, and have started walking. All is good. So, why am I so melancholy these last couple of days?

I'm tired of being tired! The wound is well healed but the area is so tender. I'm down to only one or two steri-strips which I'll likely lose in the shower today. My butt is tired of sitting on the wound, sleeping on my back on it, and wearing the same loose pants day after day. I think the fibromyalgia may increase the nerve pain at the wound? I nap every afternoon. Perhaps, if the darned new AC system were installed and I wasn't hot and clammy I'd feel better! Then I would cook which is something I enjoy and maybe have more energy. I used the medical necessity reasoning to see if we are moved up on the wait list for installation. I'm used to having projects, goals, and feeling useful. I feel like I should be cleaning a closet or something! Blah, blah, blah...such silly 1st world problems! Well, thanks for listening to that venting...actually all is going well but I'm just impatient as Mojo has so aptly picked up on.

So, today I get a mini-pedicure from my manicurist. My poor toenails are like eagles claws! I'll focus on my positives which are many since I no longer have the intense pre-surgery pain and am "healing like a teenager" per my OS. I just wish I had the energy and initiative I had in those days!

Thanks again for listening to my challenges this week. I thought I'd beat the blues and I'll be striving to do that today. It does help to have this group to share with.:sleep:
 
@luvsibes , Hello dear Soul Sister. I’m here to bring flowers and rainbows to help cheer you up.
The darn 6 week wall , UGH . I hear you.
I also hear you’re walking “sans cane” , a mile , WOW , getting mani / pedis,( jealous ) The ditching of the cane is helping your shoulder and your stride is better without it.
Woo Hoo , you go girl!
As I told you , I made my 3 month vision board, no stickers as of yet, just smiley faces..and 1 good thing about that day..for example, ALL the ice cream was delish..( diet will have to wait)
I’m remembering your advice about my choice of words..so helpful and insightful. Thank you for sharing that tip.
Sending you friendship and healing love . Take care , my friend :loveshwr::flwrysmile:
And I hope that AC is fixed soon..
 
It does happen...that wall...the blues...the hurry up and wait.
Sorry you feel yucky.
Your body has been through alot...ditto for your emotions.
The payoff WILL be huge.
Hope tomorrow is a better day.
Hugs....:loveshwr:
 
My last steri-stip from the glued "stitches" came off yesterday. Hubby took a pic which I guess I'll post on the forum for that. I'm wound phobic but I am glad these strips are off and hubs removed the last of the stuck adhesive. I learned from all this that my skin bonds with adhesive so never again will I stick an adhesive on my skin! I had some open sores from the removal of the larger bandage right after surgery and scars from that too. I had posterior lateral. All is well now!

Right now, there is a tingly nerve feeling on touching that is getting better daily. I am lightly massaging per PT instructions. I am told it goes away and I continue to ice it (right now as I type!). The wound has been my biggest challenge but at 6 weeks yesterday, all is going well. My OS said I was healing "like a teenager", whatever that means. I wish my butt looked like a teens! LOL!
 
Good morning Sunbeams! I'd like to delete yesterday's whiny post! annierose2 - thanks as always for your loving thoughts. Mojo333 - Thanks for the ongoing and needed encouragement to be patient! You all make a difference!

During my funk and frustration, I got a call regarding the AC installation (I think the ongoing heat contributes to my occasional crankiness!), saying installation would be 8/13. I had a total melt-down on the phone as we were told 1st week of August but with "medical necessity" they'd try for sooner. I don't like to be dramatic but I did plead that they stick with the initial time frame. ("I'm a senior citizen and just had major surgery"...) The lady felt sorry for me and said she'd call back. We get the work done next W/Th! I later thought that in my work days as a social worker I encouraged self-advocacy for my clients with disabilities and would advocate for their best well-being. It was time to do it for me. I feel better knowing a bit of the energy drain situation will be resolved soon.

The last steri-strip came off and the last adhesive was removed by hubby. I'm massaging gently and it's feeling better each day. I'm hoping to put on "real" clothes sometime soon like a pair of denim shorts. My yoga pants are getting tired!

Wishing everyone a great day of healing and love! Thanks!
 
I certainly did my share of whining...it's a tedious journey...this recovery...and sans AC :sorry:
I think you are doing just fine...and very normal with the physical and emotional distresses at less than two months out.
I hope today is a Good Day!:SUNsmile:
 
:loll:Thanks Mojo333 - your normalization of my non-normal behavior makes me feel more normal!
 
Happy two month hipversary!:happyfeet:

I know you are still healing and there some things you are still dealing with, but I think you are doing great.
This was a big deal, this hip replacement...and you will get there!
Your patient approach to recovery and comfort and support given to other members is inspiring.
Hope your day is sweet!:SUNsmile:
 
Thank you Mojo333 You are on top of things! Actually, I think Friday is Week 7 and next week is the 2 month mark.

I get to start pool work with PT next week! I did the warm water pool exercise (per the Heal Your Hips resource book in our library - and Dr. Klapper the author is my OS!) for 3 years and was able to manage the deteriorated hip for that time so I'm excited to get back in with a personal PT and explore the ROM more. If someone would have told me I would be a mermaid in a pool 3 years ago, I would have balked but once I got in the warm water to exercise, I was hooked! Now, I am a mermaid and feel like Esther Williams in the pool!

UPDATES and MILESTONES: Yesterday, I put on denim (soft, not too tight, and with some stretch) shorts!!!! I've been squeemish about the wound although I do massage it gently but have this vision of something rubbing it and it popping open! Well, I was comfortable and happy to be in something other than the loose cotton yoga pants when we went to dinner.

For those who have followed me, we lost our AC on the 109 degree day in LA on 7/9. There was a waitlist for installation as the system was old and just worn out. It will be completely installed by this evening! Yea!!!! Having a sweaty and clammy wound area (although all steri-strips have been off for a couple of weeks) has not helped me feel good about the wound. Also, it has not helped my energy drain problem. Most of July has been very hot and humid here. I elated to get the AC back and hopefully some energy too. Togo agrees! This husky has had 3 box fans on him while 3 ceiling fans overhead have helped!

I put my Fitbit on last weekend and did a challenge with my Fitbit friends with the notation that I'm not in it to win but to motivate myself to walk. I finished last amid their notes to not overdo! It was fun and I was surprised that I had an average of 7000 steps/day. I think my tiny slow steps with short stride add up to more steps than my old painful limping gait!

Thanks to everyone for their support and great advice and tips!
 
That is a looong time to be without AC in these ridiculous temps a great majority of us are dealing with this Summer. I'm happy for you that today is finally the day to get it running again.
Yay for the shorts also. Wearing the soft yoga stuff gets old. Even though you can wear it while you're out and about, I felt like I was constantly in pj's.

You're doing great @luvsibes Sometimes I forget to check on you because you've had a wonderful recovery so far. Slow and easy seems has been your way and it's paying off. No ODIC visits. Woo-hoo!
I hope you have a great end to the week!
 
Back
Top Bottom