TKR Home after TKR surgery yesterday

BCBG, I have had Physical therapists at my home on Saturday, Tuesday and today. There are a list of exercises I am to do 2-3 times a day in between visits. They get easier though I don't particularly enjoy them. Lots of flex exercises to make sure I don't walk with a limp. Others are for straight carriage and building strength to go up and down stairways.

I've put too much into this whole thing to end up walking like a penguin again. PT pointed out that my new knee is straightly aligned and the old knee, even with my toes pointed straight, has itself pointing outwards to the right.

I was also told that I will need to purchase a new pair of shoes because my feet will no longer align properly inside old shoes. Either new shoes or get orthodic inserts for my old shoes.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Since your leg has been re-aligned, you will definitely need new shoes. You will have worn a tread pattern in the old shoes that is not right for your new knee.
 
If your having your other knee done soon I would wait to buy new shoes or orthotics.

Your ROM is fantastic! You don't have to worry about doing all the exercises opif they are bothering you. I found out that truly less was more and only did them at PT.
 
I lost my sense of taste, my interest in food, and certain smells nauseated me for many, many weeks. I had to buy new household products, too, because I couldn't stand the odors of my dish liquid or toilet cleanser. I could barely eat for weeks, and I was in a rehab for 4 weeks where the food was supposedly good, and you could choose it daily from many options.
Thankfully, this, too, passed.
 
One day after my infection surgery my BFF brought me her chicken and dumplings which I've always loved. I tried, but she knew something was wrong as soon as I took a bite. It tasted as if she used a cup of pepper. Now I was on pain meds, lovanox, 2 different antibiotics and one was being infused while I was eating. After that I was very careful to not eat anytime while infusing.
 
Gee, losing your tastebuds for chicken and dumplings is just plain catastrophic. I've decided to just eat foods that aren't favorites right now.

Throwing another question out to you all. Have any of you experienced pain behind the back of the leg just below the knee bend? It's driving me nuts. I can stand the pain, it's just like a deep bruise that I can't get get adjusted one way or other that it's not being annoyed. Icing helps a little bit, though not much. Better than nothing, but still.

Today I had lots swelling and pain around the knee because the new bandage had been put on too tightly. I pulled that sucker off and put a new one on while my knee was bended. That gave an "ease" as they would say in dressmaking. Lots better. But I was showing off to my son and grand-daughters yesterday. I walked around with the walker and stood up for too long. OK, lesson learned there. I've been laying down most of the day.
 
It's not unusual to feel pain behind your knee as well. Keep taking the pain medications on a regular schedule and keep icing the back of your knee as well as the front. The tissues all around your knee are disturbed during the replacement surgery.

You've learned a lesson about doing more than your knee is ready for, so try not to do that again.
 
I've also been known to put a sandwich in there in a waterproof box!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jean, I'm quite overweight and as a result, it took almost a decade before I found a surgeon who would take me on. But so far, the new knee seems incredibly successful. I'm starting to really notice a new mindset, where having to park a couple blocks away from where I'm going is no longer such an impediment that I would just turn around and go home. We have a great life to look forward to! I'm so happy they're able to do this.

I talked a lot in posts on my thread about both weight and constipation. As you said, I found C to be more of a problem than pain. And even relief would leave me feeling so achy and trembling and sore. I finally switched from norcos to just tylanol shortly after the three week mark because I couldn't bear it anymore.

I look forward to reading more on your recovery! You're doing great.
 
Hi Jean, so glad to hear you're coming along so well... I guess I was really lucky to not have too long of trouble with constipation...I started right away with the stewed prunes, a stool softener, etc. and for me, that worked. But, I remember needing to take iron when I was pregnant and then, it was bad!

But, on the shoes, I also had to get new ones, since my left knee, done in July, means I've got one straight leg and one that goes off to "Granny's". I actually wear inserts (called SuperFeet) so I suppose if I have my right one done in a year, I could maybe get away with new inserts instead of the entire set of shoes, if I'm wearing a pair I don't want to stop wearing... But, yes: the old inserts and shoes will have your old leg's "cant" (angle) and impression worn in them so best to get new ones. My PT was who advised me to do so...when she watched me walking like I used to, swinging my new leg out and around the knee joint, like I used to have to do! I still have my right knee that's knock-kneed, but I need to relearn how to walk straight!

For me, I was immediately able to put my full weight on the new knee! I was really surprised, too...BUT, I had done a LOT of advance strengthening with Pilates classes to get all of my surrounding leg muscles well strengthened for the job of supporting my body post-surgery. I think that was a great idea and I'll do it again for leg 2 for certain! But, if your leg seems to not be quite supportid yet, perhaps its that the muscles are still traumatized, because I think our new "equipment" is reliable and should be stable. Mine certainly does feel to be so... I suspect over the coming week or so, the leg will be more able to support your weight as your muscles come back "online"...
 
As I wrote earlier, I stupidly showed off my knee without using a frame when walking. Yesterday I was in bed most of the day elevating, icing and requiring an extra oxy. I had been using one 5mg oxy every four to six hours. My prescription said I could use one to two tabs every four to six hours as needed. My knee was still quite swollen today, so another round of icing on top , sides and behind the knee. I've gone back to one oxy every four hours. That's all I've been taking except for the Warfarin to help prevent blood clots. I did not do any PT exercises the past two day except for ankle pumps and ankle rolls.

Boy!! I have learned my lesson! Lost two whole days forward due to that stupid action.

Thanks for letting me vent guys. I hope you are all soldiering ahead at a steady pace.

Oh, and by the way, I looked through BoneSmart archives to see if anyone else has had those weird phantom "jerks" in the body. I've had them for the past week. Leg jerk, hand moving unexpectedly, stomach doing a quick contraction, etc. you guys are champs, right on top of things commenting about your similar experiences . Where else but BoneSmart could you resource all these personal bits of information and shared experiences!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
There were a few times in the first couple weeks that my leg jerked so hard it woke me up. It didn't hurt, but it sure got my attention.
 
Yeah, that jerky nerve twitching was scary initially, not quite painful but uncomfortable. But, eventually, it just got to be goofy! When my PT works on it, like when she ultrasounds my leg, etc. it will twitch a bit afterwards. It made her jump the first time it happened, too. For me, it was mostly in my TKR leg, but sometimes it would affect my whole body. I think maybe nerves repairing themselves just get carried away at times?

This is such a great place to come vent and find great support, I totally agree! Glad you're mending well, Jean!
 
Jean, it seems you joined the ODIC! Almost everyone does at one time or another. I hope resting and keeping that knee elevated/iced has helped.
 
Jean, I still have the random body jerk. It is usually like a hiccup in a random body part (arm, leg, occasionally the whole body). I thought it was a side effect of gabapentin, which can cause that, but I stopped that several days ago and I've had several since then. Not painful - just a jerk, then it's gone. OS said it's recovery to anesthesia (I had a spinal with conscious sedation).


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
My zingers happened months after surgery. My leg would actually pop up as if a dr had dinged it with a hammer. They didn't hurt, just surprised me a bit.
 
Hi Jean, I had another recollection I thought I'd mention. I go sometimes to a therapist who does a type of bodywork called Myofascial Release therapy. The practitioner is super-gentle and the movements/pressure are very slight, gentle and never cause pain or restriction. When I initially saw her about 2 weeks post-surgery, after she gently held my leg for a while it suddenly began twitching and jumping about! She was delighted and told me that was very beneficial since it would help with my healing. She said to just allow it to happen and relax while it takes place. So, that insight sort of changed how I felt about it definitely!
 
My PT was here today, my ROM is 100. I was able to walk with a cane inside easily, though she would prefer that I continue to mainly rely on the frame and then add in the cane. Staples come out Thursday and I start outpatient PT on Monday. I can see a whole body shower in my near future!!!

But, while I was initially planning on getting on the surgery list for my right knee asap I am rethinking it. I guess I've hit the "blues" period of recovery. Do I ask to get placed on my surgeon's surgery schedule upon my final appointment with him on Nov 29th? Or do I not sign up I may be taking a chance on not getting to stay with this orthopedist. Maybe it's just the tiredness of recovery settling in. My current mood is: "I'm done with this". It's been less than 2 weeks since surgery, so I think I'm just in a funk...and I'm impatient, though my PT and Home Nurse say that I am ahead of the curve in recovery. Yeah, I guess I need a good night's sleep and pull on my big girl pants.

Knowing that some, if not most of you, have "been there, done that" I feel comfortable enough to share this with you.
 
I couldn't do it (and still haven't done that the left) but others, braver than I have. @sheliac , @FlaGranny and @TML had second knees done within a few months just recently.
 
Back
Top Bottom