TKR Home after TKR surgery yesterday

@Jean3600 , We realized after a few weeks that some frozen water bottles and cold water work just as well as ice in the ice machine. It was a lot easier to keep a few frozen bottles in the freezer for switching out.
 
Jean, I do the same thing. I put 3 frozen bottles in my machine before heading off to the high school. Sometimes I put my lunch break soda in there to keep it cold, too! If I forget it, I always have a cold water to drink. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
Jean,
Unfortunately mine only numbed my right below my knee too my foot.. and i learned the number 1 rule partial knee replacement surgery recovery Do NOT sleep past your medication alarm, nope won't be ok to skip one dose. Nope. I think I'll set more than one from now on lol. I'm just glad my body woke me up when it did at 430 am bc I think any later and my hubby would be taking me in for iv meds. They have me on 12 hour oxycotin and 4-6 hours of 1-2 perc. Has kept pain manageable up until now. My doc got me a cold compression therapy machine to use but it turns itself off after 2 hours... starting it up as I type lol. I just keep telling myself it's all worth it so I can actually play with my kids after this is over...
So glad I found this forum though because being so young and getting one I know only a few people who have had replacements and they are all friends parents and grandparents who I don't know very well.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
I put 6 frozen 12 ounce water bottles in my ice machine and it is still cooling my knee after 5 hours but no ice is left in the bottles by then.
 
i learned the number 1 rule partial knee replacement surgery recovery Do NOT sleep past your medication alarm,
That's an important lesson. I'm sorry you learned it through having such bad pain.

I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but here are another couple of things that some people find out as well:
1. Recovery from a partial knee replacement usually takes just a long as recovery from a total replacement. I know that some surgeons tell their patients that recovery from a PKR is faster, but most people find that isn't so.
2. Don't expect to bounce back quickly from this surgery, even though you're younger than most of us. Your knee will still take about the same amount of time. That will test your patience, so be prepared for some frustration.

Best wishes for continued good progress. :flwrysmile:
 
@Celle
Thank you. I appreciate the heads up about recovery time as my ortho said it should be 3-6 months rather than 6-18 months. However after surgery he did say since it was my patella replaced that it may be longer.
I think I have gotten the pain back under control after missing my 130am dose of oxycotin but wow, never want to feel that again..lol.
I know I got lucky to have found a OS that was willing to give me the surgery I needed at my age unlike the last one who said you can't have it for 10 more years, here I'll give you a wheelchair....
Thank you!

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
I appreciate the heads up about recovery time as my ortho said it should be 3-6 months rather than 6-18 months. However after surgery he did say since it was my patella replaced that it may be longer.
I had a PKR for my first knee replacement and I remember it as being my most difficult recovery. That was probably due in part to the fact that I had waited too long to get it done. It took a long time for my distorted muscles and tendons to recover.

By 3 months, you should be feeling as if you are making solid progress and by 6 months you'll feel almost normal. After 6 months, most of us find that we still get some swelling if we do too much, and we still experience odd aches and pains. Your knee will let you know that it is still continuing to heal inside. It may even still feel a bit warmer than your other knee. You should be able to do almost everything, though.

At two years after my latest TKR, I can do everything I want to with it, but I still get an occasional ache. It soon goes away, though. It's much better than before the surgery. I guess we just have to make a few allowances for having such a huge foreign body inside there.
 
Hi Jean3600,
How "funny" that the hammering woke you up! Wow! My surgery was less awful than I had expected, too, thankfully. As others have said, keep ahead of that pain. I have had to buy ice bags every few days, too, since my ice maker can't keep up. My husband has been a wonderful help in that regard, too, until I was able to lift and carry the ice machine to and from the kitchen. Our household hammer has a new place of honor: on the counter for breaking up ice when it thaws enough to need breaking up when put back in the freezer.
Hang in there...it does sound like you are doing very well!
 
It is now Monday morning, 2:12 am. To some people writing on knee recovery forum at this time in the morning would seem strange. But, to those of us who have come to learn from Bonesmart, well, 2 am isn't a strange time to be awake! LOL.

It's a great time for quiet reflection on the surgery, recovery and discovery about strengths we didn't know we had. While I had desperately needed relief from the constant pain and restrictions my left knee, I was frightened to have the surgery. I would be going through it alone without the support of my husband. He passed on four years ago. Since then, I've had only myself to get through things. Please don't read this as a pity commentary, I don't mean for it to be.

I was very anxious about the surgery. What if it went wrong? What if I had to go to a skilled nursing facility? What if after surgery I still had the pain. I was able to come up with lots of "what if" scenarios. But then I thought about all of those other situations I have had to forge through using only my judgement based upon research and fact finding. (I had lots of time on my hands to do research - LOL - that's how I came across Bonesmart and all of you wonderful, encouraging people).

Your shared stories, your understanding and willingness to answer questions have helped me enormously! I was learning what was reasonable to expect, how each of you handled wide ranging situations (pain, moving, sleeping, eating, sponge bathing, the heartfelt prayers to the bathroom fairies, etc.

So, I decided to forge ahead...I could do this! And I have! Total left knee replacement surgery was on Wednesday. Discharge was on Thursday afternoon. My sister is staying with me for awhile and is blown away with how mobile I am. It's surprising me too. I make my own breakfast in the mornings, she carries it to the table for me. The ice machine situation has now been dealt with by my son bringing over 40# of ice. Ahhhhh.

Physical Therapy was very happy with me. He said I would most likely be using only a cane this coming week. My Coumadin levels are in good range. I have taken the advice that many of you gave to put my pain reliever schedule on my iPhone and that has worked out great (oxycodiene and time released morphine). Elevating my legs is a blissful luxury. Using a long scarf to lift my left is a godsend. While in the hospital I realized that I had set my temporary commode in the bathroom to a level that was too low. I extended the height up and it is much easier to use my temporary facility now.

So, I would like to say to you all that have shared information with me and encouraged me to take the step I so needed to take (no pun intended) YOU ROCK!!!!! My world had seriously shrunk due to my inability to participate in activities I had always enjoyed. I was unable to spend the time with my grandchildren without the limitations what I could do, where I could go.
 
Jean, this is a wonderful report and you are recovering like a champ! :yay:
 
@Jean3600 yes, night time is a time to reflect and I spent many nights reading the postings of others. Glad you found so much helpful advice on here that you felt comfortable moving forward. I also feel the same way have found and continue to find much helpful advice from the forum. Take care.
 
@34120 You made me laugh when you said you put your soda in your ice machine! That would be one cold drink!

@Jean3600 So glad you made the decision to have your knee done. I think a lot of time it's the unknown that scares us most. Once we make the decision and live in it, it seems to be easier and better than we ever thought! I'm glad you are finding that you are mobile and that it was worth it. It's only going to get better from here!

Jen
 
Hooray, Jean! It sounds as if you are coming along well! I'm going to try the water bottles in ice machine today...that would sure save those last minute, "Uh-oh! There's not enough ice..." evening treks to the store!

And yes, writing on a knee replacement forum at 2am is certainly actually expected, too! It is precisely when I found BoneSmart, as well.

I loved hearing that this surgery will enable you to enjoy being a parent more, too... playing with my granddaughter was one of the compelling reasons for me to do this now, too. She and her parents just moved back to Oregon this summer and will be moving into their new home literally down our back yard! She's a really active, physically-adept 5 year-old who loves gymnastics, the monkey bars, swimming classes, etc. and now her Grammy can lift her up to the high bars so she can do her tricks on 'em! My being able to help her parents out by hanging out with her, picking her up from school, etc. really helps as my daughter has an autoimmune issue so needs to rest a lot, and my son-in-law works from home on East coast time. Their family is doing much better since the move, having our extra help now.

Your report is wonderful to hear and surely made me smile!
 
Hi Jen and BBCG!

PT just left and she is thrilled with how well I'm going in just one week since surgery. I'm at 93 degree bend, pain level has remained below 4. I get the staples out next Wednesday Whoot Whoot!

The bruising, well it is a modernistic twist of swaths of yellow and green at the front, cascading into deep blue and purple from the calf to the ankle. A tasteful cherry rose patch decorates the right side of the knee.

I am using oxycodien (5 mg) about three times a day now. Nothing else but the ice machine or ice packs.

I one single thing that caused me pain and nausea and vomiting has been the severe constipation, and I mean SEVERE! It was by far the worse part of the whole knee replacement surgery. And, if it is the only thing to complain about I feel that I'm still far and ahead of where I was before surgery.

The week following surgery I was taking morphine, oxycodiene and iron supplements due to anemia - a real trifecta for bowel blockage. For ten days I did everything I knew to do. Prunes, stool softeners, coffee, raisin bran, probiotic yogurt, water, water, more water and sennokot. My advice doctor's recommendation? "Smooth Move" tea. Really? Really? Smooth Move is basically a tea of sennokot.

So I called my orthopedist directly and said "blah, blah, blah and it's been TEN DAYS" He prescribed a cocktail of Miralax, stool softeners and sennocot twice daily. It took a day, but finally results. Praise be to all that is holy! DISCLAIMER: This is what my doctor told me, check with your doctor before doing anything for your situation first!!

As I'm writing this, I want to include that while in the hospital they suggested that I get my flu shot and the pneumococcal shot. Figuring they knew best I said, go ahead. Wowser. My arms and shoulders ache. Still, after a week. Wondering if those shots contributed to the sense of malaise that I felt.

I see my orthopedist on November 29th. He has told me that if this surgery has gone well, he would be willing to put me on his schedule for the right knee replacement.

Jen, you and BBCG understand my motivations so well. Jen, you've had to do things without your husband by your side, and BBCG you feel you need to take care of yourself so that you can help those that you love. I sincerely hope that you will keep me updated on your progress. Anytime either of you need to vent, yell and laugh...I'm here at the other end of the internet.

Have a terrific day!
Jean
 
Jean, your cocktail is exactly what my rehab nurse gave me after about 6 days of constipation. I had been taking senacot and softeners, but the addition of Miralax did the trick. Have it on hand when you get the other knee done. A ROM of 93 at this point is great!
 
KarriB, Hi!

It's good to know that the "cocktail" is a pretty standard one. Poor you, six days. It's misery isn't it? One day is a day too much. I think this is a topic that cannot be covered in pre-surgery information enough. I was already having issues with the iron supplements but with the narcotics from surgery afterwards, well wow.

I don't know what is a good range unless I read it here on BoneSmart or my PT tells me. I just repeat what I'm told about my recovery here on this site so that others can have access for their own comparison. I will admit that recovery, for me, is not anything like I thought it would be. I am overweight and had expected that I would probably have challenges due to that. Everytime I go to the doctor for one reason or other, they always seem to inject my weight as being a contributing factor to the issue.

Did you find that you lost your sense of taste? Nothing seems to taste the same to me. Food is of no interest actually.

The tip about the small ice bottles has now become the standard in my house. Easier to deal with and no bags of ice melting in the cooler before it can be used.

Kind regards,
Jean
 
Jean, it is typical to lose your taste for a while. I figured it was due to all the meds I was taking and those iron pills did a job on me as well. Nothing tasted right, especially hospital food. I spent 11 days in the hospital and rehab with my TKR and another 11 with my infection surgery. Even once I got home I had very little appetite. It'll come back in a month or so. But for now be sure to eat something when taking your meds.

I am also overweight and think my knee may have been more painful due to the extra weight on the TKR. But I am more active now and working hard to take some weight off my knees. I'm glad the water bottles work for you. It is much easier to freeze a few bottles than to continue to make ice, cheaper too!
 
Did you find that you lost your sense of taste? Nothing seems to taste the same to me. Food is of no interest actually.

Jean, it is typical to lose your taste for a while. I figured it was due to all the meds I was taking
I agree---nothing---absolutely nothing---had any taste to me. Nothing tasted good. My wife even stopped at my absolute favorite pizza restaurant and picked up a pizza as a surprise, but it did not taste very good at all.
 
Jean, that is great news! An ROM of 93 is way cool! I'm jealous: I'm still trying to get to 90, 'fer gosh sakes! I didn't lose my sense of taste but I lost some weight since I just wasn't very hungry... I'm so glad to hear that you're doing so well! Are you not needing to do PT then? Or is that to start later? It seems like you don't really need it! Keep us posted and hooray for you!!
 
Back
Top Bottom