Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

This is just crazy. On Friday, Sat., and today a company has called telling me my Flexitouch Plus Compression device is ready to be sent out. The pain management doctor had ordered Vein Mapping done with via sonogram. I went to the appointment which was done by a lab tech. The tech determined I had too much fluid in my legs. He then said he would order a machine that I put on both legs for 5 or 6 months. When I asked about it, he said the company would explain it.

Fast forward a month and that is the company that is calling stating they've had it 'approved' by my insurance. I have never been diagnosis-ed with lymphedema - just the tech. I spoke with my knee surgeons office who said they didn't order it and for me to ask questions prior to having it sent. Of course I'll ask questions, it just doesn't seem necessary to me. I have a knee that is very sore, and swollen - I don't relish the idea of anything being near my knee except for the ice machine. I assume I have to call the pain management doctor to ask questions. I'm betting they will want to see me - this just feels wrong to me for some reason. I feel like they are taking advantage of my insurance.

Compression devices on both legs just seems like one more thing. I'm more than willing to do so if I understood what the point really is. I had the RFA and now this? What am I missing here?

Holey smokes. I just spoke with the company that wants to send out the compression device. It's over $700. I just wasn't expecting that. I've got a call into the pain med physician on why he thinks this is necessary.

Pain management doc thinks it 'might' help overall. Specifically the ankle swelling by the end of the day. To me the swelling isn't awful. Yes my ankles are a little swollen, I just didn't realize it was a big deal.

However, since the RFA procedure my thigh has really hurt. I'm not one to constantly complain but this thigh is bothersome. To me the RFA hasn't done anything except make my thigh sore. I walk worse now than prior to the procedure. I just don't get it. Ugh. This knee is making me cranky.

My husband recently had RFA done on his lower spine. It did nothing for him. Thankfully, it didn’t make things any worse for him. We are out of options for him and just trying to manage it.

I had one done for the left knee in the early 90s and it was a disaster! It left my skin on my thigh on fire for about a month. Nothing could touch it without extreme pain. Thank God it wasn't permanent. I pray yours improves quickly.

It's not my skin that is so troublesome, but rather the deep muscle. I thought I'd turned a corner and was somewhat better - but late this evening my knee told me I was mistaken.

In my heart of hearts I was hesitant to do the RFA because I just wasn't convinced it would do a darned thing. But I had it done anyway, stupid stupid me. A very expensive and different pains later I'm kicking myself. No a mistake I'll make again.

I just had a Radio Frequency Ablation on the 14th and so far very happy with my results. This is the best I’ve felt since my PKR in 2012 followed by 2 revisions. I’ve never heard of #1.
I’m sorry it didn’t work for you. Belle feels it has helped her.

My husband tried it because nothing else they’ve done for his back has helped. Thankfully he’s comfortable when sitting, but he hurts a lot when walking and/or standing.

I wish there were better solutions for all of us. :console2:

My latest update. The Flexitouch Plus Compression device rep came to the house yesterday. He totally explained the system and had me wear one leg in the demonstration. I will say it was not some huge cumbersome thing - more like a blanket on my leg weight wise. It certainly didn't hurt because this isn't a deep tissue massage but rather a light rolling movement on the surface of my leg. I wore it for 25 minutes. The company recommends you wear it a minimum of 45 minutes daily. To start with he explained if I could do it 2x's daily for several days in a row then I'd start seeing the benefit sooner. It certainly wasn't a high pressure sale or anything. Now to order and pay for it. Ugh. And yes this will be life long issue. (My ankles aren't too swollen but the thinking is my entire legs are holding water and this will flush it out.)

Which brings me to my knee / leg. My thigh is still really bothering me. Frankly it hurts and makes me cranky. When I stand up from a chair its almost like my leg has a 'catch' in it. It's not pretty to watch me stand up, that is for sure. I'm going to try to move up my date with my orthopedist. The level of pain I'm having is almost exactly what it was prior to the revision, and that scares me to death.

I was advised to wear compression socks daily. Never wear them when I have my legs in the compression sleeves though and never at night. Also elevation, which I have been doing. Think I'll go order a Lounge Doctor as this will be a lifelong problem.

Let us know how the new compression device works for you.

I will do so.

I don't think surgeons / doctors realize the conflicting advice they hand out. Knee surgeon wants leg stretched 'hanging,' like. And to never be in recliner. Pain management & vein doctor want leg straight with slight bend which you get in a recliner. And on and on being opposite. Frankly I try to do what feels like its helping me the most.

I ordered the compression devise today, it will be here Thursday. I'm not thinking it will help the knee per say, but if the rest of the leg 'feels' better maybe the knee will act right!!

I had my first 'treatment' with the compression devise. Compression really isn't a good word, because its really a rolling gentle motion. Nothing strong toward the muscle, but rather surface of the legs. It is too last 45 minutes and do it 1x per day. I was so relaxed that I fell asleep!!! A great little 35 minute nap - which I didn't even realize I needed.

Of course using it one time I can't tell a thing - they say after two weeks then you should notice less swelling. I'll report in how it goes. So far so good - I'll never complain about a nap!

I’m so glad your first use was a good experience. How nice that it was so relaxing. That’s a switch, isn’t it? Most of what we are recommended is far from relaxing. I hope it helps you a lot! :console2:

I love that unexpected, quicky naps!

Reporting in on the compression devise results. I've used it 5 x's thus far, daily. I've yet to stay away during the 45 minutes it takes to complete its cycle! Over all I'd say the swelling in the ankles during the evening is a teeny tiny bit less. It might have slightly improved my my extension - or is that me hoping its helping?

Every since the RFA my thigh has been continually sore - very sore. It lessens, but then comes back. These compression treatments naturally do not address that issue. The thigh is deep muscular tightness. Always something!!

@eaglemom you’re right- it IS always something! I had a lysis of adhesions last Tuesday and the tightness really bothers me! I can’t decide if it’s normal and has to resolve itself or something to be concerned about!

We’ll get there! :groan:

Happy thanksgiving!

Something I forgot to ask everyone. It has been "highly suggested" that I wear compression stockings / hose / thigh highs. (Not socks that stop at the knee which cause more swelling of the knee.) I've looked on the internet and there are so many companies and prices. Hose that cost over $100, I certainly didn't realize that. Any suggestions on brands, etc?

I can't help you there because I didn't have to wear them. I was alone most of the time, so I was up moving around quite a bit and my OS said they were necessary. Some say a good diabetic stocking will help. This is something you need to ask your doctor.

I probably didn't use the correct words. Not a TED hose, but rather a compression type of hose. Where the compression is less at the ankles and slowly increases as the stocking / hose goes up your leg.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Air185
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom