THR Hitch & Get Along<

Colorado is beautiful! I've been there several times. Always beautiful weather when I've traveled there.
I used to visit a friend in Grand Lake. Have traveled up via the Estes Park way and also through Boulder.
It's a beautiful drive but a little scary at times with some of those curves in the mountains. I fully understand why you'd love living there over the Mid-west.

If the skirt idea doesn't work for you, what about loose fitting baggy shorts? Or the stretchy legging type. My OS has bins with different size looser fitting athletic shorts for people to put on, as opposed to a gown. I did once, after that I just wore a skirt and hiked it up on one side for him to take a peek.

Hope you have a great day!
@NanaKP

@NanaKP Walking on your treadmill slowly with a focus on heel, toe walking is a great way to do gait training. Focus on each step planting the heel and then rolling forward to the toe. You will not only build up stamina - but correct any gait issues as well!

How did your visit to Hipster go @NanaKP?

Send sunshine please! We've had a rainfall warning going on since yesterday! Even our English blacksmith cancelled coming to trim and shoe the horses today!! When he cancel....it has to be bad rain wise LOL!

Hi there @Alitm - Happy Friday! It's a balmy 60 degrees here and FULL sunshine so I've been in shorts the last 2 days and loving it.

Hipster said I'm doing very well and he's quite pleased. He thinks the pain I am having in my left GT area is from the surgery 3 weeks ago. He explained that the removal of the hardware is pretty "delicate" getting tissue away from it, etc. He also said that the scar is a couple inches longer than the hip replacement scar because of them getting those cables out. He gave me the go ahead to get back on my treadmill (if I promised to WALK slowly for now and STOP if anything hurt).

He and his right hand gal want Jon and I to give them a date so we can all go have dinner together. I don't know why I find that so funny but I do. Is it rather sad that the Xray technician knows me by name and can give my entire history starting last March 1?? The Valet parking attendant also called me by first name . . . asking me if I wanted the cane out of the front seat. I responded "No thank you Ed, today I'm living on the wild side but there are also caramel bars on the front seat if you're needing a little sweet snack!" Then we laughed.

Oh my how a difference a few months can make. I thank God that I wasn't dealt a more dire diagnosis last Spring (I have a good friend who just had a double masectomy at Christmas with a cancer diagnosis). Bones are bones and they can heal, for that I am grateful.

Have a great weekend everyone, I'll be ordering new running shoes and cheering myself on with each 'lap'. If (when) we go to dinner with Hipster, I'll be sure to snap a picture of us together - we've gotten pretty "tight" the last 7 months! :rotfl::rofsign:

Hi there @NanaKP, I'm just a tad bit jealous about your balmy 60 degrees!! :SUNsmile:. It is 45 degrees and overcast here..blahhhhhhhh!!! However, it isn't raining, so it is all good!! We had rainfall warnings for two days. Now it is going to be somewhat decent before the next system comes in on Tuesday. We aren't sure if it is going to hit Vancouver Island or Seattle area...I'm hoping it goes south but that won't be nice for @Barbaraj and other hippies in that area. I don't want any more high winds, as the ground is so saturated and with more wind and rain...they are saying lower temps and snow....it will be a disaster. With hubby away

Sounds like a great visit with Hipster!! You must feel reassured. What he said makes sense to me. It is hard for all hippies to know what the various aches and pains and zings and zags are at the best of times. When one has a slightly different path from the usual, it is really hard to know what is normal and what isn't. I have a couple of sore spots on my right hip. I ran it by my OS last week and he isn't worried, but I see him on Monday for a check up. I showed the two spots to my physio. He wasn't concerned either and said to ice those, but to use heat on the hip flexors and upper quads. I'll confirm that with OS on Monday. The heat feels really good and I get up from my recliner a lot more limber on those first two steps.

I think you should go out for dinner with Hipster and his right hand gal. Knowing the medical personnel and support staff makes the whole process so much easier... I found that with two hips close together I got to know folks. It was nice going in the second time and having the nurses remember me. They were so helpful in getting me home the same day as surgery!

Have a nice warm weekend!!! :SUNsmile:

Oh boo @Alitm for your poor weather!!! I have really come to dread those days without sunshine so I feel for you. I really don't like the wind either, it just makes everything cold. How did your husband do traveling? I hope all goes smoothly for both of you while he is gone (and his mom makes improvement as well).

I agree about the heat feeling good and helping with the flexibility. What a difference in getting up from the recliner with heat as opposed to ice. I am still trying to ice twice a day - when I get home from work or off of the treadmill and then when I go to bed. I feel like there is still quite a fair amount of swelling, particularly when I've been up and down the stairs more. Do you see a difference when you ice?

I hope those sore spots on your right hip improve. It is a worry when suddenly something hurts. I try not to get too worked up over it but honestly I feel like I blindsided myself back with the first hip in not saying more about the pain I was feeling.

@Layla - I meant to tell you that I was so happy to read that you have been to our beautiful state. We moved here in 1983 from the northern IL area (we both have many relatives in WI) and couldn't believe how mild the winters truly are here in the metro area. March & April are our snowiest months where we can get 12-15" in a few hours but we're usually out in tshirts the next day with sunburns!! Our cabin is north of metro Denver just a few miles shy of the Wyoming border. We love it because it is very remote and we can truly get away (none of the kids cell phones work up there so that is truly a gift!)

Happy Weekend to all of you Hippy-Smarties out there!!!

Yes yes, the ice really helps swelling for sure. I also see a difference with the icing the surgical sites but putting some heat packs on the hip flexors and upper quads, when getting out of the recliner @NanaKP!! I also take a hot shower before bed, and that and the magnesium (by mouth) at bedtime really help. I used a gift of coconut oil with oil of magnesium when the hip flexors and quads first started to object as I walked more (around four weeks) after the shower. Now I don't feel the need for it. The sore spots on right hip are getting better I think. Today I drove my daughter and I an hour to my young horse (at my trainer friend's place), held the horse while he was shod, and then my daughter drove us home. I couldn't believe it, I stood upright for an hour without a care in the world. Before surgeries, I would have to lean against the wall, or sit in a chair while holding the horse, and be in pain the entire time, even with a ton of Tylenol. Even after first surgery I had to do that. Now that I've had both, wow, it is a whole new world!! I am tired for sure, but it is a good tired! Tomorrow is a rest day I hope. Environment Canada just posted a special weather statement for our area, with high winds starting at 2 AM. They are not 100% sure of the forecasted track of this front that is coming through. They just changed the post to a wind warning...high winds tonight UGH!.... Just praying we don't have more trees down.

The orthopedic center where I go seems to focus on what they call outpatient but most at least overnight. They want to make sure the person is stable and ready to leave. I had a spinal which that anesthesia team was amazing. Three of them checked on me that morning and after. The head-head guy, his second and the in op fellow. All teamed together to make sure it went flawlessly. I have a benign vascular mass in my throat and they opted to do the spinal and avoid a throat tube. I was nervous since I’d had a problem with a spinal when my son was born. Fortunately...anesthetic have come a LONG, LONG way in the past 40 years.
I loved the easy wake up and the delayed time release so you have a built in pain med for the first 3-4 days. Made home transition easier.
I had an 8:30am surgery and went home about 3 the next afternoon. A few go home the same day some stay 2+ days... it’s all patient centric.

I’ve got to agree with the other comments here - the team you have makes a huge difference.
The only less than stellar person I dealt with was the aid who was supposed to be in charge of my delivery and installation into the car to get home. She seems to not know what she was supposed to do or how. Thank goodness hubby stepped in and got me safely transported (he’s trained for non-emergency medical transport and a previous joint rehab patient.

Welcome to recovery and wish yours to be safe and speedy!!!!
Hardest lesson to learn? We all heal differently...don’t try to compare yourself with anyone else. Your bones know what they want/need and are ready for.

Hi @NanaKP,

@BionicButt here... Happy New Year! What did you end up doing? We stayed in and laid low ourselves. How are you doing now? I hope all the soreness has passed and that you're feeling stronger on your legs. I find it takes awhile, particularly for everything to sort out when you've been favoring one leg over the other due to the cable. I'm at almost 3 months out now and getting better all the time. All the soreness is gone and balance is slowly coming back. How did your appointment go with Hipster on the 3rd? Is he happy with how it all looks? How's your scar doing?

I just had my massage and my therapist always works the scar to increase blood flow and soften and break up the scar tissue. Today she said there is hardly any "crunchies" remaining on either side. Yay!

I hope this finds you feeling better and getting around easier!

Greetings @BionicButt - Happy New Year to you as well. We never go out on that evening, we went to bed fairly early and slept through the celebrating in the neighborhood.

I find that the soreness in my left (previous cable) side comes and goes. Some days it's noticeably better and I feel invincible then other days, I am achy and really sluggish. On those bad days, the skin even feels sore to the touch so then I get my ice and crawl into the recliner with the electric blanket turned up. I know that my left side has been traumatized from all of the surgeries but I am getting a bit impatient with it. I am encouraged by your words on your own progress and I always share your entries with my husband.

I haven't sought out having a massage but I do have one particular place on my scar that is "hard . . . crunchy?" I am anxiously awaiting a new Rec Center due to open very near our home - there is going to be a very large aquatic center in there. I am stoked to get back into the water and start swimming again. I will be going to visit my Mom in FL in a few weeks so while I am there, I'll probably try out her pool and hot tub.

I hope your week is going well. That first full week back to work after the holidays is always rough. We have been very busy at our business so today I am feeling a bit guilty for skipping out and staying home (it's snowing). I'll have to cook a good meal for my husband to make up for me playing hooky. Take care!

No guilt.
You are recovering and you will be making up for all of your down time in good time.
Wishing you a great weekend @NanaKP :roseshwr:

Hi @NanaKP! Happy to hear from you and that you have days that you feel invincible! In my experience, those grow with time and the sore, achy, sluggish days become fewer. I looked back at all your surgery dates--you have had 4 in less than a year. That's a lot! And three on the left side. So there's a lot of healing to do and that takes time and energy. Be kind and gentle with yourself.

My surgeon and his assistant said to give it a year to come back completely. I will be at a year from my last THR in May and I do feel like by then, I will be 100%. I get closer every day. I'm still working on rebuilding the muscle that atrophied due to the cable, but it is coming back and I get stronger and have more consistent energy all the time. I know it is hard to be patient! I have had lots of struggles with that myself. My biggest problem has been pushing myself out of my Goldilocks Zone and causing setbacks in my impatience...

You will love the pool! I try to swim 3 days a week and I sit in the whirlpool before and after to loosen up my muscles and get them warm. I find it is my best exercise and I could do it before anything else came back. I plan to continue swimming as my main cardio exercise for the rest of my life.

I hope this finds you having more good days and that you have a great time with your mom in FL! Always a great place to go to escape the cold of a Colorado winter. Take good care of you:friends:

Hi @NanaKP
Noticed you on the forum. Wondering how you're doing?
Read you're getting ready to travel on Wednesday. I hope you have a great trip and enjoy
spending time with your mom. Let us know how the trip was once you return.
Safe travels and a great week to you!

Hi @Layla - I'm having another snow day here at home (terrible storm right during morning rush hour). I'm packing and repacking for Wednesday. Not sure I'm ready for Wednesday but that has to do equally with work deadlines and the worry of the travel itself. It has been cooler (not ANYTHING like what you are getting) and rainy down there so I do hope it turns around by Thursday or so - planning on using mom's pool and hot tub.

Not sure if I'll be on here until after I get back so y'all take care and be safe and remember . . . NO FALLING ALLOWED!!!!

Hi @NanaKP, have a safe trip to see your Mum. Get help in the airports! Take care of yourself :SUNsmile:

Sorry you are having snow...boo! We might have a few cm's next week, but hopefully not much. We have snow drops up and the daffodils and tulip green tips are coming up. Spring will be early, as it appears we are missing the polar vortex, we had a Robin in the garden last week, and the Canadian Geese are back on our pond.
Stay warm in the meantime!:flwrysmile:

Hi NanaKP :hi:
Stopping by to wish you a Happy Three Month Anniversary! (Lefty)
I hope you're enjoying your vacay and time with mom.
Once you're settled in back home, let us know how you're doing.
Missing you on the forum :)
@NanaKP

I'm BAAAAAACK!!!!! I left Tampa at just under 80 degrees only to land in Denver to low visibility, heavy snowfall and a high temperature of 11 for the day. Perhaps I should've extended my stay (pretty sure my husband would've been tempted to come get me himself though).

The flights went well but the close to 4 hour flight back left me very sore and achy. I found it a challenge to move sideways into my seat (or out of it to give my seatmates access to the facilities). It sure would've helped if that aisle seat had an arm rest that could be dropped for easier exit. I did take advantage of pre-boarding with my cane so I was able to get in the 2nd row and in the aisle both ways. It was my first time on Southwest Airlines and they were most pleasant to deal with.

My visit with my mom went well. That being said, I KNOW that I am NOT ready for senior living yet. She lives in a very active community (physically active and uh, errrrr, hmmmm, sexually active). It was like watching a live performance of Peyton Place. One afternoon at the pool left me with a sore stomach from laughing so hard at the cheesiest pick up lines I have EVER heard. Mr. "self-proclaimed" Casanova was hitting on all the ladies but particularly those who were widowed. I had to warn my sisters and my sweet mom to avoid the Italian Stallion when going to the pool in the afternoon because once he had you cornered, you were stuck for the next several hours listening to the telling of his prowess and love of all women!!! My husband laughed and laughed as I told him what I had overheard while I played like I was sound asleep every time he was within 4 or 5 chairs of me!!!

Swimming felt FANTASTIC - I loved it. I can hardly wait until our Rec Center with the aquatic area opens this spring. I used the treadmill in the work out room several times while there and was able to increase my walking distance and time but it was the swimming that felt the absolute best. I would highly recommend water walking or swimming for recovery of hip replacements. We didn't make it to the beach this visit - they were actually having a bit of cool weather the first several days I was there. I plan on going back in a few months and have every intention of taking Mom to her favorite beach at that time. Perhaps all of the snowbirds will be gone by then and Mr. Suave will also be relocated (one can only hope).

Oh, almost forgot. I did manage to set off the metal detectors both ways and had to be pulled aside for further screening. They were very kind about it all though so I needn't have worried beforehand. Now to survive this ice and snow that is on the ground. Our springtime snows can be quite heavy but they are usually 100% melted within 24 hours (it's not uncommon for snow shovelers to be out in shorts and t-shirts for those storms). Come on Spring - I had enough of a taste of it in FL with the flowers in bloom, birds singing and pool going so that I'm impatient with this white stuff here!

Oh and @Layla - thank you for the anniversary wishes. It's the right hip that is the newest. I'm a bit unsure if I should celebrate my left hip anniversary from original surgical date (5/2/18) or from it's full repair (12/14/18)??

Great update!
So glad to hear you are doing well.
:swim: and:walking: with ease!

I too am ready for spring!
Hope your weekend is sweet @NanaKP

Hi :wave: @NanaKP
Personally, I'd celebrate the first cut as the anniversary date, that's when Lefty's story began. That's sounds crude, doesn't it....first cut? Sounds like a butcher :heehee:

What a nice update! It sounds like you had a good time in Florida. Fresh air, sunshine, sounds wonderful! Listening to the Casanova character schmoozing while feigning sleep must have been entertaining. Your description made me laugh.

I'm with you on having Spring fever. I'm over the cold, snow and short gloomy days. But Spring is just around the corner now, it will be here before we know it and you'll be all the stronger and further along in your recovery.

I hope you have a lovely weekend back home. :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member