THR Hipvan's recovery thread

Double hippy status for you:chuckmarch:
Summer will be sweet without that neverending hip pain!
 
Thanks for the encouragement!! At least this time round I know what to expect and will be more specific in my requirements. I had a good meeting with the surgeon and managed to get across my problem with opiates and the extreme nausea they cause me. He made some helpful suggestions, so here’s hoping things will be more comfortable this time. I’m going to opt for a spinal with sedation again as that worked well last time.
 
Left hip done under spinal and light sedation yesterday. So I heard all the hammer and tongs during the op! Fascinating.

Now on ward but not really mobile yet as the pain when walking made me nearly pass out. I’m not good with opiates but will have to try something.

Lovely nursing staff are being as helpful as they can.

Being determined is not making much difference so far!
 
Welcome to Recovery again!
Will leave the Recovery Guidelines for you to go over even though this isn't your first THR. Will also get the date changed in your signature to reflect May 1st.

I can't imagine hearing all of the surgery sounds :yikes: I hope they're able to get your pain under control soon.
Wishing you comfort...

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfo
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
I’m not good with opiates but will have to try something.
I can't take opiates either. But there are plenty of alternatives. Please do ask for more medication. At this stage you need it to get mobile.

Welcome to the double hippie club!
 
Oh my stars @hipvan
How have I missed you snuck on by me and got your other hip replaced?
I'm sorry for these tough first days.
:console2:
Hope they have found something to get you past the rough stuff.
Healing mojo coming your way.:angel:
 
Last edited:
Thanks mojo! Progress seems par for the course and I’m better prepared this time.

I’m now on oxynormal (?) A low dose which seems OK so far, with an anti emetic.

The staff here at the hospital have been lovely but very busy and I shall be delighted to be back at home soon.

I’m glad I had the op done - from what the surgeon says, the hip had had it.

Can I hear the tea trolley in the corridor? Life is improving!!
 
Last one and done...:ok:
I do hope you can get home soon where you get more comfortable. :yes:
 
@hipvan It's tough having the second hip done. For some reason I just had no patience the second time around. Hope your pain is now well controlled.
 
First night at home was better than I expected- such a relief to get off the hospital mattress!

No bruising so far - that was a real nightmare last time.

I’m not so well prepared for post op this time, I think the novelty has worn off; Today, I will have to read my hip booklet properly as the hospital follow up team are doing a one off visit!

The Oxycodone proved to be as troublesome as other painkillers, so I’ve abandoned it and am relying on paracetamol and small doses (10mg) of dihydrocodeine eight hourly. I don’t like being in pain, but I dislike the opioid side effects even more.

It is so good to be home!!
 
Welcome home! Be sure and stay ahead of the pain. Ice is your friend. You are a pro at this now!
 
I like "better than I expected":yes:
Home sweet home!

I think the novelty has worn off;
:) I should say...
But last one and done, @hipvan !
Hope it all keeps getting better for you quickly.
 
@hipvan
Hi hipvan. Mojo mentioned you so thought i would say congratulations on your second replacement. Had both of mine done last February & March. Been doing pretty good with my recovery untill a month ago when i started getting a pain in my right thigh. Probably just over doing it. Best of luck on your recovery. It does get better with time. Ice is your friend. Use it as often as you can.
Take care.
REM.
 
Another double hipster! Welcome home! Hope they get your pain meds figured out soon. Ice is the best pain killer and no side effects! :ice: I hope you have a good night home in your own bed, much better than the hospital! :flwrysmile:
 
Wow REM. That’s quite an achievement, just one month apart! I though I was doing well at 7 months.

It’s hard not to overdo it, I think did too much after 8 weeks and the soft tissue on my first hip replacement can still be quite tender at times.

Post op pain can be a mystery; it was one of the things which bothered me most the first time - I wanted to know why it hurt me in a certain place at a certain time, but never really found out! Then the pains all gradually disappeared.

Good luck to you!

Hipvan
 
Well, I was doing pretty well, but it looks as if I am going to bruise badly again. My operated leg is swollen, stiff and sore - so an interrupted night in spite of elevation and icing. The knee is so stiff I can barely bend it. All a bit disappointing.

On the other hand I don’t have as much pain and am managing on paracetamol alone. I’m getting lots of support from visitors and phone calls and the sun is actually shining this morning!!
 
:hi: Glad the sun is shining...
One week out and just taking Tylenol, oh my stars!
I know you said you don't tolerate pain meds but you are certainly tougher than me.:unsure:
Keep that ice going @hipvan :ice:
 
A better night thank goodness! Had my first shower yesterday, which was very therapeutic until I dropped the soap halfway through! I think I’ll have to secrete a spare somewhere in the cubicle.

A quiet day today with no visitors expected, a chance to do a slow-mo tidy up.

Hip now painless until I weight bear, which is fantastic. Leg and knee still very stiff but I keep forgetting to take pain meds! Off for a walk in the park later (only a few feet away from my front door).
 
Glad to hear you are doing so well.:) :-) (:
Isn't that first shower just grand...and exhausting.
Don't forget to break up that activity with some icing and elevating:ice:
I hope your weekend is Sweet!:tada:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom