Guest viewing is limited

THR Hipvan's recovery thread

@hipvan as Mojo333 has said there are lots of different pains. Some you expect and some you don't.
Every so often I find that I get a sort of zap or ping down the thigh. Luckily it is only momentary but makes me wonder what's going on in there.
It's still very early days for you, so as you have already been told - be patient
 
This is why the forum is so helpful. When I get comments from my boss (who is super thin and fit) that my recovery appears to be slow I reassure myself here that I am not alone.

Re getting into a car and bed. I was taught to use a bandage to hook around the leg and sling slowly the leg into the car/bed. I had log leg for around two weeks but had read up here and knew what to expect.

Seeing my Consultant today and have some questions. Will report back in my thread. Just into my ninth week. I have printed out the physios report to show him the good and not so good stuff. There is one particular area stiff and causing some pain so will see what he says and ask Josephine if I am not clear with his answer.

Can’t shavd my legs so he will have to put up with my hairy ones :-)

Best wishes to you all for a successful and painfree recovery x
 
@hipvan I had a walking trolley too but it was not sturdy enough so I stuck to elbow crutches. Got easier once I was down to one. Still use the Grabber to load and unload the washing machine and still not wearing socks! Hubby happy to load the dishwasher so I happily leave him to it.

Friends and getting out and seeing people has been a lifesaver. It has been a surprise to me how many people bothered to come and see me and were genuinely pleased to see me up and about.
 
Thanks for the encouragement. I have times when I think I’m doing pretty well, especially as I’m on minimal pain relief. Walking is OK, sitting and lying down aren’t so comfortable yet. But feeling upbeat overall!
 
Your positive attitude will help tremendously through these rough first weeks.
Good for you!:yes:
All temporary...
Hope today is a Good Day!:SUNsmile:
 
Continuous stitch out today, and not before time as it was bedding in - from my perspective looking down it looks OK. I tried a shower this morning, but it was really too much faff, so I’ll leave it for a bit.
 
I’ve been walking outside in the lovely autumn weather and can’t wait for a trip to the supermarket! However I have so much pain behind my knee and thigh on contact with anything, that being in bed is a bit of a nightmare. It feels like some kind of nerve pain. Icing and elevation make very little difference. Is this “normal”? Otherwise I’m managing pretty well I think.
 
I had hypersensitivity with my legs..think it mostly had to do with how it was manipulated and how things were teased to the side to get to the "problem" so yes, I think it's nerve stuff.
Does make it difficult to get comfortable...or to lie still.
I did fare better resting in my recliner for whatever reason.
Hope all eases soon!
Very early days still.
 
Thanks Mojo, yes, if I manage to get my recliner almost flat with cushions in strategic places I can take a lot of the pressure off the sensitive areas - quite a relief.

I watched a video of THR surgery this morning and it gave me some idea of the trauma inflicted! Problem is, my friends, who tell me about other people who made incredible recoveries from their THRs. That makes me feel guilty that I’m not achieving such perfection! But I have to remember that I’m not yet 3 weeks post op. Early days indeed!
 
Another awful night! I tried to sleep in my bed, but the pain in my thigh drove me back to the recliner in the early hours. The skin sensitivity seems to be a little better however. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this night pain? I’m getting about pretty well during the day, but am becoming quite exhausted with lack of sleep. I think I’d cope better if I understood why lying in bed brings on this pain! I’m taking what pain relief I can tolerate but it seems to make no difference. Help.
 
my friends, who tell me about other people who made incredible recoveries from their THRs
I think you will find most of their stories are fabricated. Yes there are some remarkable recoveries. But in most cases it just takes tons of patience.
Can anyone tell me what might be causing this night pain?
Sounds like you are under medicated. At only weeks out you still need pain control. If you can't take what is prescribed please call your GP and see what alternatives they can offer.
 
I have a good GP and we have tried all types of pain relief, but other conditions I have, mean that any therapeutic dose of them makes me really ill.

I’m trying to be patient Jaycey, but the inner me is rareing to go!
 
:wave: Sorry you are getting frustrated...
I could depress you by trying you how long it took before I could sleep in the bed:bored:
We are all different so maybe it won't take three months for you...oops, I did tell you:doh:
In all seriousness, and keeping in mind I did both my hips at once...it did take quite a long time.
The recliner gets "old" too, I get it, but it's a temporary time and did get better.:) :-) (:
I finally just resigned myself to being a night creeper and chronic napper.
It's prime time for cabin fever and post op blues so try to hang in there hipvan.
:console2:
 
Thanks Mojo, that’s helpful - gives me ‘permission’ to be a night creeper. I haven’t had an opportunity to get post op blues yet (too much going on) but the napping comes easily! Next project is to customise the recliner with a bit of memory foam - it’s a bit firm for night time use at the moment.

The sun is coming out - hurrah!
 
I slept in a recliner for the first five weeks or so, @hipvan. I found it hard the first night, so laid a single duvet over it, which made it a lot more cosy. I then progressed to bed, with pillows to stop me rolling over. I reached the 12 week mark last Friday, so I've allowed myself to lie on my side. It seemed endless at the time, but looking back it really went quite quickly.
 
Just over 4 weeks post op. Now sleeping (not entirely comfortably) in bed! My leg is still very bruised and sore, especially behind the knee, but I’ve now finished the heparin injections and hope that things will improve.

Mobility is improving and I can walk with one crutch quite easily - not so good with a walking stick, but as I have to use it on the left side, which is a bit dodgy, that’s understandable. I’m a bit concerned about avoiding a limp, so I’m not going solo without support yet - it’s tempting though!

I was taken to do a little shopping yesterday - such a treat - came home and crashed for the evening.

I have to remind myself, and my friends, that recovery is not linear, but I feel more positive now. Thank goodness for this website and its participants, they have kept me informed and sane!!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hipvan's recovery thread

Not exactly but you will get there!
Yay, for no more shots!:yes!:
Keep the faith...and have a good weekend!:SUNsmile:
 
Now 5 weeks post op and appear to be going backwards again! I was walking quite freely with crutches and getting around the house with just one, but now it’s almost too painful to put my operated foot down. Don’t know if I’ve moved the wrong way, but it is certainly out of the blue. I’m trying to take it easy, but that’s hard when you live solo!
 
Sorry to hear you feel you're going backward.
Wondering exactly where it hurts when you bear weight and how long it's been going on?
Have you tried icing the area? Josephine recommends icing for 40-60 mins each session, several times per day. Try it if you haven't yet and see if it helps. If not we can tag, Josephine, if you're interested....
Wishing you comfort.
@hipvan
 
The problem started yesterday afternoon after I came back from a car journey. It’s hard to pinpoint where exactly the pain is - mostly at the top of my operated leg and toward the outer aspect of the hip. It feels as if the pain comes from a trapped nerve when I walk. I will try some more icing and see if it helps. The bruising is much less down my leg but still painful behind the knee.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom