Guest viewing is limited

THR Hipvan's recovery thread

Have you started any new activity lately? Or perhaps lifted or pushed something heavy? Does icing ease this?
 
Icing doesn’t seem to help.

Yes I did have to lift something heavy; it was a case of no choice and I was very annoyed at being left to do it.
 
Well in my experience lifting anything heavy is tough on a new hip. Rest, ice and elevate and try not to lift or twist. This should ease but you will need to rest that new hip.
 
Thanks. I guess the lifting has been the problem even though I tried to be careful. I will be taking your advice Jaycey.
 
I guess the lifting has been the problem even though I tried to be careful.
Don't worry - this is all temporary. But you are still only just over a month out. Try and baby that hip a bit longer.
 
:wave:
I had to figure out what my hips were ready for and when...usually the hard way.
It can definitely feel like a one step forward , two steps back situation at times!:doh:
Hope you are feeling better and have a great weekend!:SUNsmile:
 
Hope you're beginning to feel better with some rest and ice.
Wishing you comfort and a nice weekend! :SUNsmile:
@hipvan
 
Feeling much better. Apart from nagging night pain, I am doing well. Walking around the house without stick or crutches and outside with one stick. I am not entirely sure of my balance yet, probably need more walking practice; I have been trying to do a mile+ a day in divided doses. The other hip is now complaining, but it will have to wait! Post op appointment tomorrow.
 
Glad you are seeing progress @hipvan ! Are you taking any meds at night? Please let us know how your appointment goes.
 
:wave:Hoping number two will keep number one on the straight and narrow.
Hard to heal sporting a lousy other hip!
Hope all goes well for pre-op!:yes:
 
Post op appointment went OK I think! My surgeon said I must be making a good recovery as I was walking well on coming in to his consulting room.

I go back to see him in 6 months to discuss what to do with the other hip. Now I’m more active it is certainly playing up.

I’ve upped the painkillers at night (don’t need them in the day) and it has helped a bit. When my hip is less tender around the scar I may find it easier to sleep on that side.

Otherwise I’m pleased with progress and hope that it won’t be long before I can walk up and down the steep hill into town!
 
Congratulations on the progress @hipvan ... BTW: my one real period of setback came after I did some lifting of objects much heavier than I'd done since surgery ... I actually carried items in both hands ... when my balance was shaky ... Anyway, sorry to hear about your other hip now getting jealous and crying out for attention.
 
:hi:You sound like you are doing well.
Keep on with this patient pace and things will keep getting better!
Hope righty behaves this week.:yes:
 
:hi: @hipvan
Great news on your post op visit.
Sorry your non op hip is acting up.
Hopefully it settles a bit as your left continues to heal.
Wishing you a great week as you move forward in recovery. :)
 
Thanks for your encouragement - just to confuse everyone, I ended up having the right hip replaced (at the very last minute!). The hospital even managed to get it wrong on my discharge letter. I’m getting the hips a bit muddled up myself now...
 
We need to tidy up your signature...sounds like lefty has been trying be replaced all along!:) :-) (:
I know you aren't in to thinking about that just now.
Really hope that today is a Good Day.:egypdance:
 
Thanks for tidying me up Mojo!

Now 7+ weeks post op. All going well now that the extensive bruising has mostly faded. I’m walking well at home and think that the leg length is pretty spot on. Outside I’m walking quite long distances (including up and down the steep hill) but need a stick as my left hip is really playing up.

I drove my car without a problem a couple of days ago. Was a bit stiff when I got out, but it wore off.

I never ever thought I’d say this, but I can’t wait for the other hip to be done!! I love walking and it would be great to do it without discomfort/pain.
 
@hipvan is on the move.:egypdance:
Does feel great to know that this surgery actually works.:yes!:

When all the major stuff subsides, and I discovered that "hey, I actually might be pain free with good hips" I was actually kind of surprised which is odd...I mean that IS why we did this, right?:shrug:

You might have to edit yourself if that adrenaline gets to pumping too happily.
It's prime time to overdo if you aren't careful.:umm:
I am so excited that you have done so well..and hope you won't have too long to wait for lefty.
Well done, hippy friend!:ok:
 
Now on the list for left hip replacement on 24 April. Although it’s always possible that the date may be changed! Pre op on 12th.
 
Hi @hipvan
Good for you! Relief is on the way :happydance:
Your new date will be added to your signature, let us know if the date changes.
Good luck with your pre-op on April 12th.
Wishing you comfort as you await your surgery date.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom