THR Hipvan's recovery thread

I only have a tiny freezer, but I’ve put a couple of those cool pillows in the fridge. They seem quite comforting. My new secondhand recliner is great and perfect for napping.
 
First day at home. Lots of pain last night - think I overdid it. But managed some sleep. I need to sort out how to position my operated leg.

Up and dressed and had breakfast by 10am, but working out how to get things from room to room is interesting! I have a walking trolley but it doesn’t give as much support as the elbow crutches.

I’ve decided that I need to reduce activity to ten minutes every hour, although it’s tempting to get on and do the washing up/washing etc. Are there any other solo recoverers out there with suggestions?
 
@hipvan
It sounds like year are an early member of the ODIC (over did it club). I took things much easier for the first couple of days I was home.
Use a bag hanging on the walker or hanging from the crutches or a backpack to get things from room to room. If you want tea its not advisable to try to walk it in a cup. Put the tea in a flask for transporting.
You will get quite used to loading up a bag with the things that you want and if there is someone else around it easy to ask them to get the bag rather than all the individual items.
Don't worry about the washing up. Its much too early to be doing things like that. Have you seen the list on here somewhere that gives you a guideline of timings when its reasonable to expect to be doing housework. I printed out a copy in my early days and found it very useful.
 
I’m getting a lot of pain in the front of my thigh when I get up to walk/walk. Also have a minor pyrexia (up to 37.5c) which has been evident for a few days. I’m using cool pillows on the rather bruised leg, which help a bit. Wound seems OK and not hot. I imagine that this is par for the course at 6 days post op. Thanks for your helpful reply, Bionic, I can’t find the thread which gives suggested activities after THR.
 
@hipvan welcome to recovery! You'll note that I've created a recovery thread for you and moved your postop updates here. Please continue to post future updates here. Good luck with recovery!
 
Welcome to recovery @hipvan .

Here is your post-op reading:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Welcome to Recovery :welome:
It's good to hear you're home. If you haven't read the Recovery Guidelines yet please do so.
Pay special attention to the Big Tip -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Also -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Since you mentioned you only have a small freezer, consider a small cooler for ice packs if you have access to one. Ice really helps with pain and swelling.

A great week to you!
@hipvan
 
I’m getting a lot of pain in the front of my thigh when I get up to walk/walk
Very normal...felt like i ran a marathon my thighs were so sore.
All temporary...
Ice all you can!
Hope today is a Good Day!:loveshwr:
 
Thanks Mojo. A better day I think! Icing and resting as much as I can. The acute thigh pain is less. A friend came and washed my feet and legs, which was a real treat. I’ll try a short walk outside tomorrow.
 
All will continue to get better, and because we are so tentative about what its supposed to feel like, I think we get more accustomed to some of the discomfort before it totally abates.
"just tell me this is normal..."was my cry for reassurance! Tell me I did the right thing!:sorry:
It was, and I did.:wink:
 
Very good luck with recovery. Good to have friends who come and help. Just wondering where you are in the UK.
 
Yes, I’m grateful for all the friends who’ve emailed, texted or phoned me. It breaks up the day and it’s lovely to hear what’s going on in the outside world.

I’m now in a lot of pain from extensive bruising down to my ankle and especially behind the knee, with a persistent mildly-raised temperature. Icing and what pain relief I can tolerate don’t make much of a difference. I really hoped that at 11 days post op, I would be more comfortable. However, it has to get better and I refuse to be beaten! When (if) it stops raining I will take a stroll or two outside.

I found the pictures of bruising posted on this website very reassuring - thank you all.

Stitch out next week; hope that will help.
 
Another uk person here! We all feel for you as remember those first few weeks well!

Re washing feet. I paid about £6 for a stick with a small flannel attached from Amazon that I use to wash between my toes when sitting down under the showner. It is simple but brilliant and my toes have never been so clean. It has “Clean my toes” printed on it. Just a thought in case your marvellous foot washing friend is not about (what a very lovely thing for them to do)!

At the risk of stating the obvious, are you taking the pain meds by the clock? I found that really important. Don’t be afraid to ring the GP if thecneds are not enough. I gotva second batch of Codeine one month out because I still needed it.
Hope you feel better soon and be an Ice Queen with those packs x
 
Thanks SurreyGirl! I have just ordered the toe washer from Amazon. Must find a podiatrist next.

I have a problem with pain meds because they make me quite nauseated, so have to be a bit mean with them.

I’ve found the best cool pack to be the big JML one which you keep in the fridge. I have two and rotate them. The ice pack I bought is not so flexible, although it was advertised as such and it doesn’t seem to keep cold much longer.

Trying to take it easy today - ha!
 
Hi @hipvan .....hope you're keeping that pain under control! Think our surgeons must have been feeling particularly challenged by our hips, as mine also shows signs of firm handling....bruising, numbness in most of the leg, and a swollen foot. Was feeling a bit stir-crazy today so went to the supermarket with my husband....thought I'd be ok using the trolley for support, but this time it seemed much more difficult and I was quite glad to get back to my faithful icepacks. I'm also finding it quite difficult to lift my leg into the car, even with the plastic bag on the seat.....really must learn to be more patient! You having your stitches out on Wednesday? I'm booked in on Tuesday, will be the first time I've seen this incision.....he said he'd given me a matching pair :) Can't believe it's nearly 2 weeks since the op, and all that angst that went beforehand !
 
I hope you’re starting to feel better. I’m 3 1/2 weeks post op and when I wonder if this is worth it, I remember how infirmed I was and riddled with pain prior to surgery. That puts it in perspective. Remember, there’s no need to push yourself; rest, ice, elevate, and ce. Best wishes!
 
I’ve been browsing the forum (a good distraction when pain intrudes!) and was reassured that not all people recover miraculously quickly from THR. My friends mean to be upbeat when they tell me about others who did so incredibly well - but it’s actually worrying and rather depressing! It is really important to have a benchmark when yet another mystifying pain arrives, and this forum does that so well.

Looking forward to my dressing and stitch being removed at GP surgery tomorrow (13 days) I want to know what’s going on under there!!

I did a ten minute walk outside yesterday, just in front of the house. No choice about how much activity I do indoors as I wouldn’t eat etc. if I didn’t move around. By the afternoon I’m moving quite well and feeling that there is some progress. It’s been lovely to have friends and neighbours dropping in and I’m starting to do a bit of light craft therapy, so (apart from worry about pain) I feel pretty OK.

Anny, I’m working on the patience and Atkinson8 thanks for the encouragement!
 
I think you are doing great for these early days.
There ARE lots of different pains that appear to crop up through this recovery..especially as we get more mobile but most are short lived and worked through.
Hope all continues to improve and glad you get a look at your "battle scar" today.:tada:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom