THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you are doing so well. You will have hip #2 in and be on your way to total recuperation before you know it. It's so much easier having them close together. My 2nd had more muscle pain and swelling, but the log leg and swelling seemed to only last about a week with left one. I'm getting anxious to walk normally with 2 new hips but think it is going to take me awhile to get back to normal after limping for so long. So far, so good. 3 weeks post op and I'm pretty much walking w/o cane unless I'm outside or going somewhere, but get sore muscles after walking a ways. Wishing you a continued great recovery. Wow, those last couple weeks go fast before second surgery. You think, how did I get back here already. So much easier with everything with round 2 knowing what to expect.
 
@Doodles51 you sound like you are well on your way to recovery!! As you probably remember, but I will be 4 weeks on Monday and every day this week I saw rapid improvements.
@Hipster Girl I forgot to mention the dry legs! I have the same problem. I even have an extra long handle sponge thingy that came in my hip kit that I put lotion on with. I also scrub lightly with my long handled bath brush and still tons of flakes. I have no clue why but yes, I am dealing with it too.
I tend to be a lotion freak so how did my legs get so dry within a week's time??

Good to know I am not alone in this. hahah
 
@Hipster Girl, I can so understand where you're coming from! I will be having my right hip replaced as soon as all the stuff is sorted with the left and you hit the nail on the head when you described living with an improving hip on one side and a deteriorating one on the other. I'm sending tons of good vibes your way as you approach your second surgery. Can you imagine what it will be like to actually move forward (literally and figuratively) on two good, sound hips? Amazing! :)

Oh my goodness, my legs are SO dry. I thought it was just me. I feel like I'd like to just sink down into a huge vat of Vitamin E oil or warm paraffin wax from toe to hip. It's itchy too!

I hope you're enjoying your weekend. :flwrysmile:
 
@CricketHip , thank you for all the positive thoughts and prayers! Your posts are always so encouraging, it's like having our own BoneSmart Cheerleader~! :yay:

@Doodles51 so glad to hear you are well on your way with your second recovery and that it is going well for you after having your surgeries close together like mine. Looks like you had yours 8 weeks apart, mine will be 7 weeks. I'm not sure I'm ready to do this again but I'm inspired by the fact that you did it and and are on your way to a pain-free life with your two new hips....so I will look to you for inspiration and motivation to go thru this again!

@DeepBreath wow, you will be right behind us getting your 2nd hip done as well! This site is so wonderful how it allows us all to share these experiences together. And what is with all our dry, itchy legs? It is a mystery. I know it can't be from medications because I'm not taking anything anymore and it's not weather related because it's not cold here yet. It definitely has something to do with the surgery but I am clueless what is causing it. My legs are peeling and flaking like a bad sunburn, haha
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hipster Girl, I don't know what's causing the dry skin. It is a pain, for sure. Oh well, it could definitely be worse. I guess I'll just keep using the Eucerin lotion until it eases up. :)
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I just caught up with your thread. I laughed so hard when you described your teen aged son's housekeeping skills. That really bothered me post surgery, too. I like having things neat and put away. I hope your lawn got mowed.

I think it's great to use the walker. That's what I did. It just gave me such a feeling of security. Sometimes I would get tired at night, and even though I didn't need it during the day, I'd use it to get back to the bedroom before bed.

Glad to hear you are getting the second hip done. I had mine done together. It's such a relief to be improving, instead of deteriorating. Hips can go downhill very quickly. I wouldn't worry about your limp. That's normal. I could not correct my gait before my surgery. Now, I am walking like did when I was young, and it's easy. I just couldn't do it when my hips and pelvis were so out of alignment.

I look forward to hearing about your healing after your surgery. You're doing great.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! That is so exciting that you are walking like you did when you were young - I am sooooo looking forward to that once my other hip gets done. I'm still out of alignment because my operated side is longer (doctor said that is because it was so severely deteriorated but I will be "even" when he does my other hip). I was very fit and active my whole life and I truly feel like I am 20 years younger than my age except for my hips of course. I can't not wait until they are both done and all of me feels more energetic and youthful! :happydance:

You are so right about how quickly the hips can go downhill. Last year when I went to the ortho, I still had a little bit of cartilage, this year there was none. It was bone on bone and the doctor said I was one of the worst cases he had ever seen. :shocked:

I wish I had been able to get both mine done together like you did but I asked about it and my surgeon doesn't do them both at the same time since he only allows partial weight bearing and I had to have one "good" leg to put weight on. This is the next best thing, doing them several weeks apart. I am so glad I scheduled the second one when I did because this time of year they are getting very busy with everyone trying to get in before year-end because of deductibles and to use up flex spending, etc.

Yes, the lawn FINALLY did get mowed and we are no longer the embarrassment of the neighborhood, haha....
I had an idea :idea: & sent my son to the store for one of those old-fashioned manual reel push mowers that use muscle strength instead of gas so from now on there will be no more excuses of mower won't start, ran out of gas, etc.

The dishes I was able to start doing myself once I was allowed full weight bearing status. After my next surgery, I'm sure they will be piling up again temporarily but I have accepted I will just have to live with it for a couple weeks. I will be busy healing and won't have the energy to nag :heehee:

Hope you are enjoying this lovely fall day!
 
I didn't have any weight bearing restrictions, so I was able to do the dishes while using my walker. It's interesting to hear how different all of the surgeons are, as far as restrictions. You sound like you will heal quickly. I'm so relieved to be able to do all of my normal housekeeping and gardening again. I had really let things slide when my hips were bad. I just couldn't do a lot of the basics.

I'm glad you go an appt. for this year for your second hip. It sounds like the offices get very busy before the holidays. Just think, in a week you'll have both of your hips done. Very exciting. It's definitely put a spring back in my step!
 
@CricketHip I too noticed the heavy doors in the public hospital toilets etc. and a nurse who happened be coming in the door at the same time as me said it was because they were fire safety doors and that is why they are heavy.

@Hipster Girl It's great to hear you are back at work and happy in your job. I guess you are looking forward to having your other hip done soon so that you can eventually be pain free (hopefully).

You can buy a cheap roll on lotion applicator via the Internet. I have been thinking of getting one. Recently when I was in one of those cheap junk stores I saw a rather flat wooden shoe horn for $2.00 and bought that to put lotion on my feet. The other way I managed was to drip lotion on the top of each foot and use the other foot to rub it in. Be careful though not to cross your ankles over too much breaking the restrictions rule.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't updated in a few days so I thought I'd pop in and give a quick update. Not much new on the hip front. I have been kind of preoccupied.

Due to economic conditions, the company I work for has been letting a lot of people go over the last few weeks and it is ongoing, which has me very concerned for my job especially with another upcoming surgery.

I am the sole provider for my family and I need my job and love my job and would be devastated if I were to lose it, so I have that weighing very, very heavy on my mind right now. Probably not the healthiest state to go into another surgery in a couple days but I am a worrier by nature. I was soooo looking forward to getting my two new hips and returning to the office in a few weeks. Can I ask my BS friends a favor? Any of you who believe in prayer like I do, I would be ever so grateful if you would pray for me to be unaffected by the layoffs and to keep my job. It would mean more to me than you know.
:praying::prayer::thankyou:

On another note, it has been pouring down rain for days now and I can't walk outside so I wonder if there would be any issue with me walking on the treadmill that I have at home if I put it on a very low speed or is the treadmill a no-no?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Prayers going up!
Do you have a bicycle? That was the machine of choice at the pt place.
Good luck, friend!
 
Thanks so much @CricketHip!

I do have a stationary bicycle but it's kind of hard to get to in my crowded makeshift workout room and I am not sure how I would be able to get on it without breaking my restrictions. It's not the best bike either - it's pretty old and squeaky (kind of like my non-operated hip, haha)
 
Just a slight sideways thought on the bike, if you can take the saddle and seat stem off, get a comfy chair behind it and then treat it like a recumbent bike. Not perfect but it might work.

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
@AndyH99 that's a great idea and I appreciate the suggestion but unfortunately there is no way to fit a chair or anything else in that room. It's super crowded in there; it's a tiny room to begin with and I have a stairclimber, bike, treadmill, free weights, even a hula hoop, haha
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I'm sorry to hear about they are letting people go at your company. It is happening all over the country. My brother is in the same position at his job. I will definitely say prayers for you. I still think it's good that you are getting the second hip done, regardless. It's so much easier to get around and do things once both hips have healed. Working is much easier, because you get your old energy back.

I think the treadmill would work at a slow speed. I would just carefully try it, and if it feels wrong, stop. You can also walk round the house a lot. I think household chores are great PT, and they involve walking.

Best of luck to you. Sounds like you have a lot of exercise equipment! I went back to using the stair master four weeks after my surgery. I had the anterior method, though. I think you said you are on different restrictions. I love the stair master. Hope the rain lets up soon and you can get back outside.
 
Thanks @Hip Hip Hooray! I'm really sorry to hear your brother is going thru the same thing. I don't like to see anybody lose their job; I have been laid off before and it is very stressful and traumatic - so much uncertainty - and when the economy isn't great, other companies are reluctant to hire as well. I am hoping to retire some day from this company. I hope your brother gets to keep his job as well.

I think I might give the treadmill a whirl just to see how it goes. I only have a couple days before my next surgery and then I will be back on the walker again anyway.

That is amazing that you went back to the Stair Master at 5 weeks. That's the one that has the rotating steps like an escalator, right? If so, I love that machine as well. I used to use it at the gym all the time. Since my running days are now officially behind me, that is the machine that gives me the best cardio workout. I'm really looking forward to when I can get back to the gym and use it again. I had the anterior method also but my OS is pretty extreme with his precautions.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...your second surgery is almost here. That's exciting. It's good that you're being cautious. There's plenty of time. Yes, the stair master is like an escalator. I used it before my surgery, too. I really like it. I may actually hit the gym today and do the machines. I'm in the mood.

My brother's wife also lost her job, and they have two kids. (and a huge mortgage.) It's a lot of pressure on parents right now. I'm also looking for work. I have enough money if I live very frugally, but would feel better if I had another source of income.

I'm sure you're one of the best employees at your firm, and that you have a good chance of being kept. After the surgery, you'll heal and you won't be limping. That was really holding me back when looking for work. It's such a relief to be walking normally again.

I will keep visualizing you at your job and I hope you retire there, too. It's great to have passion for your career.
 
@Hipster Girl, consider yourself prayed for! I'll be sending them out and hopefully there will be no lay off for you!
I hope you are doing well. Keeping you in my thoughts as your big day approaches. :flwrysmile:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! It must feel amazing to go to the gym and do the machines! I can't wait until I am cleared to do that. Since I have one more hip to go, I figure I will probably be cleared to go back after the holidays, probably with the annual influx of people who crowd the gym the first two weeks of the year as part of their New Year's Resolutions :)

Gosh, I am sorry to hear about your brother's wife also losing her job, and with two kids and a large mortgage to boot! That's an extremely tough position to be in, and all the stress and worry that goes along with it. :sad: I hope you find work as well. It makes me sad how many people are suffering in this economy. It is scary out there. Thank you for sharing that - I will keep all of you in prayer to find suitable employment soon. :prayer:

I was tempted to forego the other hip for now and just get back to work but I know having them both done and healed now is the right thing to do. I don't want to put it off. My mind is already in the recovery frame of mind, and it will be hard for me to muster that again months from now. I just want to get it over with. Plus I am looking forward to a winter without the severe osteoarthritis pain that gets far worse in the colder months. And I've already met my deductible and out-of-pocket maximum for the year so it makes no economic sense for me to put it off.

I just hope and pray I have my job to go back to at the end of all this. :praying:
 
@Hipster Girl, consider yourself prayed for! I'll be sending them out and hopefully there will be no lay off for you!
I hope you are doing well. Keeping you in my thoughts as your big day approaches. :flwrysmile:
Thank you so much @DeepBreath ! I appreciate that more than you know! :friends:

Glad your son is on the mend and hoping for a good report from your post-op this week! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom