THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Hipster Girl so sorry you had a bad experience with the dog and very glad it didn't result in an accident, it is amazing how quickly our bodies can respond to a stimulus.

I wonder how long the Exparel numbed you, my OS uses something similar but (supposedly) shorter acting, it did not wear off for over 18 hours after surgery. I had no pain but couldn't stand as my leg was like jello.

Happy, healing vibes on their way to you.
 
@Hipster Girl, Your son sounds like a typical teenager, especially a boy. Although our son used to mow our lawn often when he lived at home. As a matter of fact I used to mow it fairly often pre surgery as well. If your son cannot get your mower started or borrow one maybe you should consider getting a lawn mowing service temporarily if you can afford it. Even if it is only once a fortnight. Even though my married son offered to mow our lawns recently I don't really want to ask him to do so as he is very busy with his own life at the moment. Recently we have had the guy who mows our elderly neighbour's lawns do our front lawn and street area a few times as the lawn is sloping and it is hard to push the mower uphill. Our back lawn has been levelled off and is split in two by a small retaining wall. One half used to be our old transpiration bed for our septic tanks when we first moved into the area in the 70s before the sewer was put on a few years later. It is easier to mow because each half is level. I have only mowed half of the back lawn twice since my surgery and would not recommend you rush to do your lawns any time soon within the next few months. I really felt it in my hips and legs when doing it.

Rest up for the time being and I hope your recovery progresses well.
 
I think you are right @Grannyhippy & it is typical for his age. He is getting better about helping but it is not something he is used to. In that sense, this has been a good thing because it is teaching him to consider others which is something that does not come naturally to kids that age it seems.

He is fairly certain the mower is just out of oil so hopefully that's all it is. If not, then I think I will do as you suggested and hire a service for a one-time mow.

@Plum Perfect, I was told pre-surgery that the Exparel would last 3 1/2 to 4 days and that seems to be about right.

I had my post-op visit today and graduated to a cane and am now off the 50% weight bearing restriction and can do weight bearing as tolerated. I was released to drive but only short distances - that's okay though - these are milestones for me and make me feel more independent so I am very happy about that. Today is a good day!
:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks @Hipster Girl for the info on the Exparel, were you able to stand while your leg was still numb? Mine, using a different drug, was not only numb but felt like jello, I could not stand until it wore off. I don't know if my reaction is typical because before the surgery my OS said I would be standing that afternoon.

Great post OP visit, graduating to a cane and driving too! I know that when I am able to drive it will be a big milestone, just the sense of being in control will be great. Congratulations on your great recovery.
:happydance: :wowspring::dancy:
 
I have been walking around the house all afternoon with the cane trying to get used to it. I am so used to having my walker which has been a constant reminder to slow down and follow the precautions. Now that I am getting around much easier, I have to be careful that I don't forget about the precautions or get too comfortable. I have to remind myself that I am still healing and, while I feel great, I still have a long ways to go. I certainly don't want any setbacks.

@Plum Perfect, I was able to stand after the Exparel but I was on 50% weight bearing & I had a lot of support from the walker so I'm sure that helped quite a bit. I definitely remember that numbness you speak of though and was so glad when that finally wore off! I guess it is a trade-off in those early days - more pain/less numbness or more numbness/less pain. :)
 
I hit an unexpected rough patch yesterday and had quite a bit of pain but it was on my non-operated side. What happened was when I went to the doctor for my post-op, I used the restroom, and the toilet, despite being in the handicapped stall, was very low. I am used to using my 3-in-1 commode over my toilet at home so the seat is quite elevated and much easier to get on.

I did as the PT recommended and kicked my operated leg out and held onto the grab bar and lowered myself but it put an unbelievable amount of strain on the non-operated side (I am tall so higher seats are always better so that I don't have to bend so far). After that, I had a lot of pain on that side and it felt like that side was going to buckle out from underneath me several times so I went back to using the walker yesterday. It's feeling better today but still not great so I will alternate between the walker and cane today.

On a more positive note, I did get in the car and drove for a few miles to practice and see how I would do. It was a little challenging because I can't reach the lever between my legs to move the seat up after I get in, so I had to drive with the seat kind of far back, but it was a nice sense of freedom to get in the car and drive a little ways. There is nowhere I have to be so I won't be doing this every day but it is kind of nice to get a feel for how it will be when I finally go back to work.

Hope everyone is having a great healing day today!
 
So sorry to hear about your "bump" in the road @Hipster Girl. I can relate, as I am tall myself and had a fear of going anywhere that didn't have elevated toilet seats. I'm surprised that there are handicapped stalls that stil don't have the raised toilets...maybe we should all start complaining... But I doubt that would make a difference. I did, as you did, the extending the op leg out and using the grab bars to ease down. That works fine, unless you're in a big hurry to get on the toilet....Tehehe...
As a side note..I have come to love the seat riser attachment I put in my hall/guest bathroom so much, that even when my restrictions are lifted at the end of the month, I'm going to keep it on and just removed the support arms. I have some family that have very wide berths and they would not be able to use the toilet if I kept the arms on. Plus, it would look less like an old person's toilet!
Great news with the test drive. I have a couple of suggestions that may make it easier next time. A pillow or two behind your back and under your bum may bring you closer to the steering wheel. And have you tried using your cane handle to get to the seat lever? I found my cane has many uses other than just holding me steady when walking. It's all trial and error at this point, isn't it? Have a great recovery day!
 
Thanks @Nana757 for the suggestions on the pillows and using the cane to move the lever in the car - both great ideas! I already used the handle of the cane to pull the car door shut so I don't know why it didn't occur to me to use it for the lever too but that is a great idea and I look forward to giving that a try.

On the handicapped toilets, I was under the impression that ADA law required them all to be a certain height but I must be wrong about that because it is surprising how low some of them are. I think it's a great idea to keep the riser in your hall bath. I am using the 3-in-1 now but I think after I am fully recovered, I might attach one of those risers just for the master bath. Although I won't need it after recovery, I think I am getting spoiled getting on/off so much easier with the added height, and it is much easier on my hips. After going through all this, I want to be kind to my joints going forward. :)
 
Yeah..our master bathroom has the heightened toilet already, but I rarely use it, since it's farther away. It makes such a big difference when "plopping" down to take care of business. I hope my suggestions work for you. :)
 
hi @Hipster Girl You are doing very well! Sorry that the big dog scared you. Thankful that the PT person stopped you, it could have gone from bad to worse in a split second. :holysheep:
Your second surgery is 2 1/2 weeks away.. and it sounds like you will be ready to go by then! Pretty amazing, isn't it? I am taking deep breaths for you, re: your son. That would be hard for me to overlook... so prayers to both you and him.. for you to stay calm and for him to get a burst of energy. hahah
 
I am convinced that there is a conspiracy to populate the country with lower than average toilets. We moved back to the States from Germany last February and I was so surprised at how low the American toilets are. Even factoring in the stiffness and pain of my hips, they just seem ridiculously low, and I am quite short.
I asked my husband, who is 6'2" if he found them low and he said he did.
I'm with Nana. I think I'll be leaving my seat riser on our powder room toilet and getting another one for the master bath one!

I hope you're doing great today, @Hipster Girl. :)
 
Thanks everyone! I greatly appreciate the well wishes!

Tomorrow will be 5 weeks and I am feeling great, so I basically have two weeks to enjoy this before I have to go through the entire process again with my left hip. I got my surgery time for the next one and it is (yikes) 3pm! Not sure I like that - I know it's silly but I know how I always hit a mid-afternoon slump when I am at work around 2-3pm and I sure don't want my surgeon to go thru anything similar, haha

Another thing is that (and yes, I am thoroughly embarrassed to say this) I haven't shaved my legs for 5 weeks since I can't reach, bend, or break restrictions. I'm sure the doctor has seen it all but still I do not want to go in for my next surgery with another 2 weeks worth of growth. What does everyone do in this case? I used Nair before my last surgery but it was easy enough to apply because I could bend. I can't do that this time and I also have been on aspirin for blood thinning so I do not want to risk using a razor (even if I was able to reach, which I'm not). Silly problem I know but it's bad enough not being able to wear makeup or jewelry, but to have all the leg hair, blech... :tantrum:
 
:loveshwr:Hey @Hipster Girl
I am on aspirin also and I still did fine with using a razor. Many Bone smarties recommended The Giraffe. Its an extension that you connect to your razor and it's pretty simple to use. I cat down on my shower seat and took my time and get my legs looking all smooth and spiffy. Im sure Nair would work just fine, too I just get impatient during the wait time before rinsing.
Wow, just 2 more weeks! I was telling my husband about the many on here who are facing the second THR as early as 6 weeks later and was saying that I wouldn't dread it after seeing how smoothly everything went the first time. I wish the very best for you! Gosh, you will be gliding along with your 2 shiny new hips and there will be no stopping you!!
 
Thanks @CricketHip for the tip on The Giraffe - I will have to look that up on Amazon or something. I know it's a silly thing since all dignity kind of goes out the window with this process anyway but still I don't want to go in looking like I'm growing a winter coat on my legs :snork:

I agree with you, having been through this once and having all go smoothly, I am not dreading the 2nd go-around as much. It helps a great deal knowing what to expect, and then I should be good as new by Christmas and able to enjoy the holidays more than I have in years since all that bone-on-bone pain will be long gone! :egypdance:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the link Cricket! I will check it out. While I was looking online yesterday I also discovered that electric shavers are supposed to be pretty safe and nick-free and fairly inexpensive so I ordered one for about $20 that I can use for my underarms and then I can get the Giraffe for my legs. I think these will be very handy tools even after recovery!
 
You are most welcome! I debated an electric razor, too. but decided to be daring and risk the hemorrhaging. :heehee:
Thank you for your positive and kind words on my recovery thread. I appreciate them so much.
This has been a great adventure, yes? I was able to make a simple meal for my husband last night. so exciting to be closer to being self sufficient!
 
@Hipster Girl, I had to giggle at your post about shaving your legs. I SO understand. I have the same concern. I wish I had seen The Giraffe when I was buying post surgery stuff. I got a variation of it and it works perfectly well, but The Giraffe looks even better.
Sending continued healing vibes and good wishes your way. :)
 
Good morning BS friends! Hope everyone is doing well today. I started working part-time from home this week and have to say it feels great to have some structure back and to feel productive again! I am one of those people who get a great deal of satisfaction from my work so this has been good for me.

I am still dealing with a lot of pain in my left soon-to-be-operated hip and it feels unstable and like it is about to buckle so I am still dependent on my cane for stability and even had to go back to the walker for one day this week but I felt it safer to do that. I don't want anything to go wrong at this stage so I am being very cautious.

The pain is worse when I try to follow through with my legs when walking so unfortunately I still am doing the one step, bring other leg up walk, and cannot do extensive walking yet. I am still doing my PT exercises 2-3 times per day and feel great when I do them but I wish I could do more "normal" walking.

It is a strange feeling to have one hip that is getting better every day and the other hip deteriorating more and more every day, but it is also a good reminder why I went through this surgery the first time and why I am about to do it again on the other hip.

The skin on my legs is very dry and flaky and has been that way ever since the surgery. Does anyone know why the surgery causes this? I didn't find much on the internet. I am drinking plenty of fluids and staying hydrated but the skin is still very dry and it wasn't like this before. Not a big deal but more of a nuisance than anything. I know I could use lotion but it's hard to reach without breaking my restrictions.

Hope everyone is having a great healing day today and enjoying some beautiful fall weather!
 
Good morning @Hipster Girl !
You are doing so well with that new hip, I am getting so excited for you to get your other hip fixed. Aren't you glad to have it scheduled and are ready to go? So sorry that it's dragging you down with your mobility, but soon you will float along like a ballerina! You will!
I had to shake my head about the low toilet seats, it's been a peeve of mine for years. And! The heavy doors to open in large stores and medical buildings. I have no clue how an elderly or Ill person manages.
I particularly noticed this while wearing a cast on my arm for 4 months.
I will pray for you during the next 2 weeks and look forward to reading your reports.
You've got this!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom