Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DrToonz, that is a great video and your family is beautiful. Boredom will go away once you get to the point of getting out more. Since I have PT 3xwk it really helps curb boredom. My sister drives me then we do lunch afterwards.

We are planning a. Ought away next weekend for our 21st anniversary next week and sushi tonight! Woohoo.

Happy healing to you and all our bone smart friends!
 
@DrToonz , just catching up on your thread. You are doing really well! Yes, boredom is a part of this recovery. But when you start having time to think about something else other than your new hips you have reached a major milestone. Well done!

PS - loved your video!
 
Fish & Chips and a fine chocolate stout for dinner. Yes, I got to go OUT to the local pub for dinner!
Yes, I got the beer I've been asking about. I'm about 3 days no narcotics so I thought it's just fine. I just had one and it was fantastic.
Aaaahhh.
 
loved the video presentation. i'll bet the boys did too. glad you're getting out. it makes a big difference
 
@DrToonz , well done, especially the fish and chips :) my first meal out was a steak (with chips of course). I forgot, when we were talking about beer; I had one before, I think it was my second Sunday post Op. It's definitely good for the soul to get back to normal
 
Good morning! I had the longest and most restful post-op yet. I feel rested and 'up'.

What a glorious feeling!

I remain optimistic.
 
QUESTION:
My wife has signed up for a 5k run on April 27.
That date is exactly 1 day shy of 3 months from my Bilateral THR.
This run is also set up to be a WALK for those who cannot or do not wish to run.
She has asked me if I'd like to sign up as well as a walker.
Is this even a remote possibility
or should I just intend to be at the finish line awaiting her arrival?
 
5K is a long walk still at 3 months for most people. If you do sign up, make sure you have a way to cut out early at the first hint of overdoing. And by first hint, I mean that very first twinge in any part of your body. If there's no way to exit early and easily, then I think you should plan to be an enthusiastic cheerer at the finish line.

Another option is to sign up....no one is going to come after you with a cattle prod if you get there and decide not to participate after all. But again...if you do, make sure you have options.

That's my advice and I'm sticking to it. :)

Sharon
 
Wow!! Imagine even contemplating that!!?! I bet you will be able to walk 5k by then - maybe not a race walk, but a walk. That's a mind blowing proposition, isn't it?!? OMG - what a thought! Sharon is right - maybe sign up with an option to opt out altogether or early. Either way, it's a big step!!
 
Oh @DrToonz sounds like you have turned the corner and on your way to a speedy recovery. Congratulations! We went out for sushi last night and it was so good! You should know if you will be up to the 5 k prior to then. I think you just might make it and I agree, sign up anyway. It is a great incentive to keep moving! And yay on your beer. I will be doing a wine next weekend for our 21st anniversary celebration! As a dear friend of mine sings "keep on keeping on".
 
I will be doing a wine next weekend for our 21st anniversary
The DW and I will celebrate 23 years this June. Time flies. Congratulations.
Imagine even contemplating that!!?!
I love this kind of stuff and intend to be a hiker/walker/cardio-exerciser eventually. My question is not IF, but WHEN. This is why I'm asking the question. I was hoping that someone that's 3 months out might chime in.
I certainly understand the subjective nature of the process. I'd just like to know if it's PURE fantasy, or MAYBE possible. :)
If you do sign up, make sure you have a way to cut out...I mean that very first twinge
I hear ya. I will not let pride get between me and being reasonable. NO problem there!
 
It is absolutely a definite maybe sorta kinda. There have been folks here who report walking several miles a day by around two months. Not a lot. It's the exception; not the rule. It probably hinges on things like state of general health, and how much disability you had before surgery. What were you like before your surgery, DrT? Would this have been an easy walk for you in the couple of years prior? Or have you had a long period of inactivity in the years leading up to your new hips?

Also, you're bilateral. Takes a bit more of a punch out of you in the beginning...advantage is there won't be a bad hip to hold you back when you're ready to roar.

So don't count it out. Just don't count on it. Keep as many options open for yourself as you realistically can, and just see how it all plays out.

Sharon
 
Oh man your really bumming my out. My biggest fear is boredom. :doh:

Good luck DrToonz. So good to see you plugging along!
 
@DrToonz. At three months I was walking about 2/3 miles per day..... Without any pain in my operated hip.....on one crutch because of limp....but It was the unoperated hip that was giving me trouble.... !!!!
You can't lose by signing up!!!! Chrissie xxx
 
Oh man your really bumming my out. My biggest fear is boredom.
I make fun of the boredom, but so far it hasn't been as bad as I would have expected 3 solid weeks to be. Of course, I'm only about 4 days post-narcotics, so we'll see what the SOBER idle mind things now! :)

At three months I was walking about 2/3 miles per day..... Without any pain in my operated hip.....on one crutch because of limp....but It was the unoperated hip that was giving me trouble.... !!!!
You can't lose by signing up!!
Walking TWO THIRDS of a mile or walking TWO TO THREE miles?
I don't have an unoperated hip, so I guess that's not a factor.
I think I will sign up!

@sharonslp : I'll take all your comments as points for optimism. I was hiking 30+ miles just 5 months prior to surgery. I have bilateral so no differentiation between hips. I was healthy (less so now that I've gained about 30 pounds) and used to cardio work.
I say signing up and then playing it by ear is the thing to do.
Thanks all, for the perspectives!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom