Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend came over today to help distract me from the boredom of the day. He and the DW and I went OUT to lunch at a Mexican restaurant. A short walking trip from the car to the table inside the restaurant using my hiking poles and the same in reverse leaving was slow (yes, SLOW), but worked. A little sore tonight presumably because of the extra activity today.
Weening off the Oxy. I haven't had any in 2 days now, but I may take one tonight to be sure that I don't wake up hurting.
I can't wait for a week to pass. I'm going to attempt a recumbent exercise bike as soon as I feel up to it and I think a week could be the magic number.

I remain optimistic.
 
My Op was the 15th Jan @DrToonz , so yes ten days ish, I normally tell people not to do any of those things that I wouldn't do (that gives you an awful lot of room by the way :egypdance:). Standards, what are they?
 
I bet it felt good to get out for a while. I took SWMBO out for Sunday lunch a couple of weeks ago (the kids drove); it felt like I was getting back to normality, that has to be good! On the exercise thing I've been using a treadmill at 3 Km/Hr to start and building to 3.5, that's it at the minute. It feels good, just don't push it too much and you had both hips done where I only (only!) had one done. I started driving Wednesday this week but only short trips so far.
 
^^ Awesome news. Good for you. I hate that stuff. As far as the beer is concerned I was just kidding. I have a pharmacist friend that's insulin dependent and has taught classes at the hospital. Even he indulges.
 
@DrToonz it sounds like things are progressing well! keep up the good work!
start off easy on the bike, i think the first time i tried it i did about 8 mins of just
using it to move the legs, with no resistance. it's very tiring at first.
you are very early into recovery, but the next couple weeks you will see huge
improvements! don't overdo it, as we all say, but we all over did it at one point in time!
 
don't overdo it, as we all say, but we all over did it at one point in time!
just don't push it too much
I just love the "don't overdo it" advice. It comes from everyone and is appropriate advice for everyone.
I asked my Dr. what it means and he said (I think I mentioned this before) that it's really subjective.
In a way he told me that I NEED to overdo it, because there is no way to really know what overdoing it is until you overdo it. Then DON'T DO IT AGAIN.
And the hard part, it seems, will be the fact that the overdo it point will be changing all the time from being more healed as time goes on.
I guess the goal is to only overdo it a little bit. Flirt with the overdo, right?
That must have made you feel terrific!
It was VERY nice to get out of the house. Very. Thanks.
 
Re drinking alcohol and being on narcotics - I suggest you read the leaflet in the box! It says quite clearly NOT to imbibe when you are taking these pills!
I asked my Dr. what it means and he said (I think I mentioned this before) that it's really subjective.
In a way he told me that I NEED to overdo it, because there is no way to really know what overdoing it is until you overdo it. Then DON'T DO IT AGAIN.
Very subjective! But his second comment was right out of our mantra!

- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
 
I was looking for a smiley emoticon that was pointing a finger and saying no no no but there isn't one :loll:
 
NOT to imbibe when you are taking these pills
I would not take narcotics and any alcohol. Worry not.
My question was more:
"At what point should the fact that I've had surgery like I have no longer affect my decision about whether I should have an alcoholic beverage or not?".
Certainly I will not do anything to jeopardize the healing process, like drinking to drunk or something where my walking could result in stumbling or whatever. No, no, no.
I'm now 2 full days of no narcotics, so I start wondering if I could have wine with dinner. Or a beer. Or some whiskey or whatever (in mild moderation, of course).
 
I have noticed one thing that's very apparent. The boredom REALLY kicks on when you aren't on the narcotics any more. darn. Get me a jester or some dancing girls or something.

Oh.... Here's something fun: My kids (twin boys) turn 20 tomorrow. They're off at college so I won't see them. I did make this little pictorial celebration of them, however. Take a look. Maybe it can use up some of YOUR boredom time!
https://slide.ly/view/31babbaac8a30318f73206c4046cd3cc
 
Last edited by a moderator:
wow, great slideshow! looks like the boys have had a very busy upbringing!
were they preemies?
here's an idea to kill some time, i found it very interesting and could spend
as much time as i could commit to it, go to ancestry.com and start an account
and start working on your family tree! you can use a lot of free resources without
paying, (although around every corner they try to get you to). i had a lot of fun
doing that before i went back to work.
 
Realizing today that I have had nothing funny to write about recently. Kind of a bummer for those who may have been looking forward to a little levity. Myself included. I had so many ridiculous events happening when I got this thread started that it was like living inside a bad sit-com.

Now it's just hanging out all day long and going from media to media to media in a mostly-failed attempt to occupy my now oxy-free mind. There is a lot to be said about the time-collapsing properties of narcotics, right, hippies?

Today I watched a music DVD (Rush if you are curious), some recorded Olympics stuff, caught up on a few emails, read some threads here on Bonesmart, picked up a magazine for a while, ate some lunch (which I made for myself, by the way!), played Words with Friends, spent a ridiculous amount of time hunting down digital pictures to make the slideshow that I linked to in my previous post, did a couple laps with the hiking poles as a piece of practice walking, read some online news, watched parts of some shows on TV and took a short nap.

I guess if you read it with the exasperated boredom with which I wrote it, the above sentence is in itself funny, right? Only if you have a bit of schadenfreude in you. Or the empathy that it takes to understand that this is the stuff of recovery I guess. Here's to you, people who haven't been as bored as I have today.

When the DW gets home I'm going to ask her to move my guitar amp within reach so that I can use the guitar to pass some time. I'm definitely going to need something more.

I'm not very freakin' funny without some stupid stuff happening like it has previously, but I do remain optimistic!

Have a time-condensed day, hippies!

DrToonz
 
sounds like you two need to get a match going!

maybe there should be a general call out to all recovering from THR,
have a words with friends match!:tada:
 
@DrToonz Love the slide show! That is very creative and a wonderful birthday tribute to your handsome sons! If boredom is setting in you are well on your way to total recovery :) It means things are healing up well and you and your body no longer need to spend as much time and attention on healing. You're not ready yet for marathon hikes or all day excursions .... but that will be possible soon.
 
:thankyou:Had a good laugh reading your post on boredom! Thanks, I needed it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom