Guest viewing is limited

THR Hippiee Ki Yay--Dieter's PATH is Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Dieter No, Dr. Kurtz didn't give me a specific PT protocol other than what the hospital gave me when I went to the pre-op joint replacement class. I waited a week before starting PT and on my second session I did an exercise that pulled my groin muscles (both sides) and I ended up having to use the walker for 3 days. Like you, I'm used to really putting out a maximum effort when I go to the gym, so I think that mentality took over. They also started adding ankle weights on my second session, which I think stressed my already bad knees. At any rate, I pushed myself and ended up with a set back.

I called Dr. Kurtz's office and they told me that I didn't have to go to PT and that he had many hip patients that didn't go and did fine. I went to two more PT sessions, but told them yesterday that I'll probably see them after my second hip is replaced. My main goal is to move without pain and to do NOTHING that will either create a new injury or exacerbate a previous one. They weren't very happy with me, but I feel good about my decision.

It's funny, but I asked them if they could take a more conservative approach with emphasis on gentle stretches instead of immediately going to strength training. That's what I felt my body needed. There's no doubt that they know volumes more about PT and body movement, etc. than I do. But I am an expert on my own body and I have specific goals, most of which have already been achieved. I would be very interested in seeing the PT protocol that your doctor recommends. Is it available on-line?

Did your friend decide on SuperPath or Direct Anterior?
 
It might be on Dr. Olsen'd website SuperPATHhip.com
Hard to believe they added resistance so soon...my groin was loudly complaining week 2 just working against the weight of my shoe!
My colleague is still coming to terms with having THR...and is at the "second opinion" stage of denial
 
I'll look it up. Dr. Kurtz was my third doctor, third opinion. By the time I got to him, I was ready to schedule the surgery immediately. Bone on bone pain does that to you, doesn't it?
 
well I went way too long...it was two years ago this week that the local OS told me it wasn't a matter of if I got THR, it was a matter of when I couldn't take it anymore. that happened for me over this last winter...the big kicker was not wanting to go skiing...I plan on making that up in spades next year as thanks to SuperPATH I have no restrictions on down hill skiing! ( unfortunately water skiing is a no go...)
On a side note I put my bike shoes on and did about 10 minutes on a spin bike today...stayed under 80 rpm and kept the resistance low...man it felt weird...but good, there was some odd noise, almost a popping...but that may be my iliopsoas.
 
Dieter- a fellow skier! can't let any thing interfere with skiing. I demanded to know from the OS if I would still be able to ski, and ride horses of course. I plan on skiing big long turns on corduroy snow next winter- with no pain when I make turns.

Glad to see your recovery is going well
Cheers


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, looking forward to some groomed Blues! (and maybe a little powder in the trees...) Actually the worst part of skiing the last few times was getting my boot on/buckled and riding the lift...that made my hip scream no matter if I had my ski on the bar or not...
 
little week 5 update...Sleeping well at night, had a three hour car ride to a meeting and didn't have to stop for a movement break. I have gone back to the elliptical along with swimming 10-12 laps in pool at the YMCA each day. Today I did a 30 min express spin class, it felt great to put out that much effort. Today's PT session was the most uncomfortable yet, but I did ask for it. I told the PT that I would like to put my sock on and she literally strapped my torso to a table and did range of motion with the operative leg. She immediately backed off if there was pain, but pushed it to the point of discomfort. If I'd had clippers with me I could have cut my toenails when done! I can't wait for my six week follow up with the OS!
 
Oh I am so jealous.. I did spin class before bad hip saga.. I am so motivated to be able to do that..you are such a positive role model for those a couple weeks behind you:) keep up great work


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
@fulafoto yes, I am getting closer each day, I appreciaete all the support from the BoneSmart community, hard to list them all. When you do your tour of the U.S.A., I will have a glass ready for you.
@psychteach and @M1ke I got on my real bike to day, tried about five miles...not a great idea...it was too soon...it hurt getting on and off and I was aware of being very scared of falling:shocked:...Think I will wait a few more weeks before I go again
 
Yeah.. 5 might be pushing it.. I am 3.5 weeks and doing 2.5 miles. I feel like I could do more but as they say slow and steady .. :)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
You and @psychteach I am jealous! So busy, so busy at work and family I have not been able to even get out to my old stationary bike or the pool in my own yard. Ah, it'll slow down after Wednesday . . . I have not tried my "real" bike yet but on the agenda for this weekend! I can't wait!
 
Tomorrow is eight weeks post op and all is good. Was cleared last week by my OS to do pretty much what ever I want except for high impact sports and long distance or daily running. in six months I can start some fun runs and do a hand full of 5Ks a year, but to cross train for them with cycling and elliptical (I see sprint triathlons in my future). The OS said I was stronger now than most of his patients are at one year, but keep up the stretching and ROM exercises. I am way past my pre-op level of exercise, and building on that.
Yes i am glad I did, Yes I waited too long...the best outcomes? Sleeping through the night, my energy level at home and work and the comment from my oldest daughter this weekend that I am not "crabby" as I was before...
@fulafoto your time is soon...
 
Super glad to hear!

We both had such good experiences with our "approaches" with OS and support expressing that "better than most". Do you think that even a year ago these would have been as "perfected" or would the docs still have been "practicing". You had to travel miles and miles to get to your doc while I had to visit so so many to find one doing and even enthusiastic about anterior approach . . . my next appointment was with a SuperPath doctor 4-5 hours away. I still am thinking though I waited over 5, maybe even 7 years, wasted so much life, been so "crabby" I am so glad I can do ANYTHING!! ......though I'm still waiting to sleep through the night! Lucky you on that one!

Though, I guess my fear is that I want to get other one done and over with, I don't want to waste anymore life, I don't want to think about how much it will hurt today . . . . am I going to get it done "too soon"?
 
@Me2 Heck, a year ago I didn't know SuperPath existed... back then I was still in denial and waiting for the hip to "get better" on it's own...If/when you choose to get your other hip done it won't be too soon or too late...it will be the right time for you... you are a strong woman, physically and mentally,you know what to expect, so hip #2 will be a walk in the park
 
Okay so who is having a rock star recovery also???? You are doing amazing!!! I have you two weeks ahead of me to keep up with and make sure I am keeping up with awesome:)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Happy Independence Day to my U.S. BoneSmarty friends! It really is because LTHR has been VERY GOOD to me!
@M1ke celebrated with a quick 18mi this morning, 95% on gravel roads, it was wonderful!
[Bonesmart.org] Hippiee Ki Yay--Dieter's PATH is Super
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom