Guest viewing is limited

THR Hippiee Ki Yay--Dieter's PATH is Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for sharing your prayer and glad you are doing so well on this side.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Well, I am headed into the office for what is planned as a half day of work...we will see how that goes...
 
I'm sure you'll do great! You seem to be having a miraculous recovery. :bow: :wowspring:
 
OK, it was a good day, spent about five hours just answering emails and returning messages and got pretty tired...I have a regularly scheduled conference call on Monday afternoons and I will admit that I fell asleep during it :heehee: ...I'll have to ask one of my friends on the call if i snored!
round two of PT tomorrow, those stretches are kicking my butt, literally...other than being a bit sore I feel great!
 
Day 15..half days at work are going well, (as an administrator I can get away with sitting at my desk the whole time, ice pack at hand!) PT is going well, and really the exercises are not much of a challenge, there is the part of me that is used to regular heavy aerobic exercise is bitching at me to get moving. It is probably a good thing I still can't swing my leg over my bicycle. I keep forgetting to take the cane with me when I walk about, and my wife noticed that I am not "shuffling" my left foot when I walk (I was dragging it pretty badly pre-op). Not sleeping so well at night, but making up for it with mid afternoon naps.
My OS checked in on me via email yesterday, I told him what I'd been up to and of the pain in my groin/trochanter areas, He said I need to focus on stretching rather than strengthening right now, and he asked for the number of my PT because he would like to "talk to them about some things". To me, this guy continues to go above and beyond to assure his patients have a great outcome!
 
You are doing great @Dieter , and nice for you that your OS is so involved and concerned with your progress. :flwrysmile:
 
Day 22. let's see, I ditched the cane and meds last week. Only some stiffness around the hip and sore muscles that are more like a hard workout, still icing regularly. I do rest when I am tired.
I have had some digestive issues the last 2 weeks, very similar to what I had 7 years ago when I took massive doses of antibiotic for a bacterial infection (bad gas, metallic taste in mouth, no appetite). Then I realized that I had a big dose of IV antibiotic before surgery, then two more doses after. My thinking was it screwed up the fauna in my gut. I got a bottle of Kiefer probiotic yogurt and some Activia yogurts and after only a couple of days there was a drastic improvement! feel pretty normal there now.
I desperately want to stretch my piriformis and IT band, but after checking with my OS, he said a) I need to stay off the foam roller for another 2 weeks and b) no targeted stretching of the piriformis till at least week 8 to assure the repair has healed (he had to release it in the surgery).
Had PT yesterday then went to the pool and swam 8 laps, it felt great! the only thing I had not considered was getting my sock on my left foot without my sock scooter (or DW)...I'd of asked for help, but I was the only one it the locker room...so yesterday was the first day I got both socks and shoes on by myself! Every day is a bit better!
 
Hurray! and a :wowspring: I can't believe you are at Day 22 already! I can't believe I'm at 8 weeks. Antibiotics are necessary but, oh, do they do a number on our system. I'm so glad you are back to swimming. I'm still waiting for our pool to warm up enough get in. Soon, soon! And your socks and shoes, too! It is so amazing that each day you can notice something new you can do!

I am finally feeling much better! Life is going great! I even went and got an injection in the non-surgical hip and, tonight, both hips hurt a bit :sad: BUT both are gliding smooth:). Looking more like I'll need another hip-cation someday!
 
Sounds like you're doing great! I'm jealous of your swimming- I have a few more weeks to go!
 
Time flies when you are having fun @Me2 ! glad you got some relief from the shot, if you go ahead with hipcation part two you will know what to expect
@Plumberbutt thanks for stopping by! all is well, ...the last of my cattle were loaded on a semi today and are headed to the sale...with the drought I am very glad I didn't buy more, a lot of guys are already feeding hay. I have no idea what they will do next winter, probably have to truck it in from Iowa!
 
Glad to read about your progress, @Dieter. Sounds like you will be back to old self (the pain free one!) soon. Best wishes! :)
 
Day 28...hard to believe a month has gone by! I'm pretty happy with most everything. Feel about 75% and getting better each day. some continued discomfort in the piriformis, IT band, and what the PT and I agree is a bit of iliopsoas tendinitis...but I am walking fine...I sleep at night, but have a tough time getting going in the morning and find myself taking naps. I know there is lots of healing going on so I am trying to rest and ice when I can.
If you are reading this because you are interested in SuperPATH THR it is a great procedure
 
Hello @Dieter,

Glad to see your recovery has moved along quite rapidly! I'm 2 weeks post surgery and my SuperPath experience has also been remarkably smooth. I am walking around in my house without walker or cane, and after 4 sessions of PT at a facility, I'm doing PT at my home. I am so much more pain free now and already able to do so much more around the house. I'm scheduled to have my right hip done on July 1. Bionic hips by the end of summer!

I was wondering if your friend from Virginia (I think) has had his consultation with Dr. Kurtz yet?

God bless….

Urbanfarmgirl
 
@urbanfarmgirl sounds like you are doing really well! I ditched the cane week three when I realized I was just carrying it around. Did Dr. Kurtz give you a specific PT protocol? Dr. Olsen has one that focuses on stretching more than strengthening and my PT really likes the direction it provides.
Yes he did have a consult, and he was surprised to learn both hips heavily involved and need replaced. He is planning on getting the worst one done late summer.
I know you feel great, but I can attest that it is easy to overdo it from time to time...like the close to two hours on the lawn mower Sunday afternoon was not such a great idea...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom