Guest viewing is limited

THR Hippiee Ki Yay--Dieter's PATH is Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day #2!!!!!! I did sleep some, but it was noisy and too bright, had pain meds every two hrs, but still had some pretty big breakthrough pain in my groin area. (mostly because I was really cold, started shivering and the muscles cramped, I called that pain an 8) the staff were pretty good, but there were two codes on the floor overnight so I left them alone. I walked the halls 4 times before I went to bed
I have OT/PT at 10:30 and 3:30 and Dr Olsen said I'd D/Ced after that. I iced all night and my incision looks great so other than the groin pain where my muscles have not moved in years I feel fine. When I go to the bathroom/walk I am pretty much just pushing the walker, so I will work with the cane at PT.
I am excited to move on (slow and steady) @Me2 I did have some irrational thoughts at 4 am, (like the groin pain was because the cup had slipped...geeze) but this pain will pass and eventually I will adjust to the hip and get back in the saddle in so may ways...oooh my spinach and mushroom omlet is here...
Thanks to all my BS friends, I can feel your support from rainy Minneapolis!
 
It amazes me how different everybody's recovery experience is. I've not had any groin pain at all -but I did have muscle ramping all the way down my thigh and behind my knee. I can barely get out of bed due to pain from huge bruise at incision. Drs say it will be fine but the staff Dr said he would up my meds and gave me ice! Yay!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey @moms4tne I have like zero bruising, and I learned form the Dr this am that he had to stretch my abductors in the groin to work because I was so tight from years of limited range of motion
here are some pics taken yesterday (including the "toasted" femoral head) [Bonesmart.org] Hippiee Ki Yay--Dieter's PATH is Super [Bonesmart.org] Hippiee Ki Yay--Dieter's PATH is Super [Bonesmart.org] Hippiee Ki Yay--Dieter's PATH is Super
 
@Dieter you look amazing!!! You are certainly doing very well, so good to hear! Keep up the great healing!! BTW, I also had a lot of pain the groin area immediately post-op, but in my case it was because my OS had to do a lot of tissue removal before he could place the new hip cup - this was due to my AVN. I'm one week out today and it feels SO much better now!!
 
@Stripey I now have a lovely, pink Delta Ceramic head....it will be wonderful when my butt stops swelling.
I had OT and PT this am, a lovely shower and shave, then PT in the afternoon, I was doing so well with my exercises that she asked if there was anything else I'd like worked on, I told her my neck was jacked up from stress and hospital pillows, she took pity on me and I scored 20 min of neck work!
We had a nice supper, filled out discharge papers, packed got prescriptions, and was out by 6:30 I really liked the hospital, the staff were great, and the surgeon gave m his cell phone number to call if I had any trouble. All n all a good experience!
 
Such smooth sailing!

I slept two nights in a row! (actually just woke a bit, but no crazy thoughts so I'm not counting it) :loveshwr: Woohoo let's celebrate! We will all

get back in the saddle in so may ways

When do you get to fly back to home sweet home from your hip-cation?
 
Slept really well last night! up to pee several times, but fell right back asleep, the bed in this hotel is very comfy (way better than the hospital bed) the suite also has a big recliner I can elevate and ice in. Experiencing "log leg", so the PT gave me a sheet to use as a leg lifter to get in and out of bed, that is working quite well. Constipation has reared its ugly head, that has never been an issue for me so I am attacking that as I can. I find it very frustrating! Walking with cane, and doing laps around the hotel
We have to stay in Minneapolis through Monday May 12 @Me2 (that is when my post op appointment is) My wife is coming in today, and my sister goes home tomorrow, she has been such a big help!
 
Congratulations @Dieter, Glad all is well. Find your way safely home. Welcome to your new life!! Cheers and Peace
 
Welcome to the other side @Dieter ! Sounds like you are doing very well. Easy does it - this is a marathon not a sprint. I'll post your official recovery articles here so you can refer back to them:
First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
D still had some pretty big breakthrough pain in my groin area. (mostly because I was really cold, started shivering and the muscles cramped, I called that pain an 8)

I remember a comedian talking about the pain level. He said he always says "8" because he wants to be sure he gets the meds or attention he needs, but he feels 9 and 10 have to be reserved for child birth and passing kidney stones.
 
Hey @Dieter - Sounds like you are doing GREAT! For me, the "log leg" started getting better around 4-5 days post op and seems to get a little better each day. Wishing you continued good healing!!! :yes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom