Guest viewing is limited

THR Hippiee Ki Yay--Dieter's PATH is Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I took my sister out to dinner for her birthday tonight...if somebody told me I'd be out at a restaurant for dinner two days after THR, I'd of told them they were nuts! But here I was walking with a cane. It was very nice, I had salad and lasagna (yummy), but I could only eat half of it. I got kind of tired and was glad to get back to the recliner and my ice packs!
 
I ate prunes like candy -- never had any problem; almost the opposite! Good source of iron also! So happy to hear you are doing well --

Ha! The two times I ventured out to the restaurant that first week was the only time I got 2's. Felt sooo good to be out but soooo good to get back home!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think the gabapentin, (neurotin) and the Oxy are messing with my sleep..last night I got up to potty and was freezing-and hurting so I took a dose of Oxy and put on another cover. well I woke up a couple of hours later and was drenched in sweat...like I was laying in a puddle...well I changed, got fresh sheet and back to sleep...I don't know what the deal is but I never had that type of problem before the surgery and drugs
 
As you've read, sleep, or rather not sleeping, has been my major issue since surgery. Very few nights have I gotten more than 3-4 hours! I usually don't need more than 6 and an occasional 5 thrown in is okay but not 3-4 especially when trying to recover! Poppet's articles on sleep are good -- when I really pay attention to food, I was able to sleep a little better.
Hopefully, your issue does sound more pain/drug related and will go away quickly. Hope you are feeling well enough on your hip-cation weekend in Minneapolis to enjoy!
 
Day #3. We took my sister to the airport this am then found Minnehaha Falls park, so stopped to check it out. It is a beautiful park with a lot of stairs around the falls. I took them slow and it was fine. after a really long nap we got ready for dinner and I tried to put on jeans, too soon for that one, but I was able to put on and tie my sneakers! My OS said that I would notice some notable improvement about every 12 hours. I've comfortably cut way back on the narcotics and constipation is no longer an issue. really looking forward to post op next Monday so we can head home.
 
Great day! Day 3 and tying shoes .... Recovery is good! The falls and park sound like a good place to be.

Some jeans are still uncomfortable and some feel good. All sounds great

Yay for you!


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Quick update! Day #4....slept in, walked a few laps around the hotel, then decided to go to the Minnesota Streetcar Museum...so it is a "living" museum where the restored 1920's streetcar is the attraction. it was fun to ride on. then we found a 5 Guys burger stand, got an ice cream then back to ice, rest and meds. I could easily push myself farther, but I know that would be unwise.
Today we are headed to Gethsemane Episcopal church (the oldest Anglican church in the city) for Mother's day services. One more day of the Hip-cation, then back to home sweet home for further recovery!
 
I am so happy for you @Dieter !!!!! It is nice to hear you are mostly pain free!! You know....a quick jaunt to the south and you could see some pretty "Oreo" cookie cows?? Just if you are looking for something to do. I haven't been on here much, but had a chance to take a look and read your recovery....sounds amazing!!! You keep up the great job and you'll be back to "normal" just around the corner!!
 
Hey Brian! Good to hear from the @Plumberbutt ! wondered where you had gotten off to, also @GaRosehippy . I feel I've progressed very well, I actually knelt in church this morning, but am not pain free. I know when I have done too much, or have gone too long with out meds, (mostly Tylenol at this point, Oxy once in a while)...still in love with my ice packs...I am really fortunate that my road has been pretty easy so far.
I'd love to see your cattle...but we head home tomorrow afternoon. This trip has been great for spending time with my wife, we have really enjoyed each others company. I think there will be another childless trip in the future when I am all healed
I have my post op in the morning then fly out early afternoon. will post a report Tuesday when I can.
 
Hello all, well I missed a couple of days...Monday had Post op appointment, the surgeon was very pleased about my progress, and released me to travel. They took the bandage off and the incision look really good. he said there was one red spot we need to watch, but it was likely nothing. They went ahead and recovered it at my request...I was concerned of it "leaking" on the plane ride home. X-rays taken, PT orders given, questions answered. Yes you can drive when of narcotics, yes return to wok next week if you feel up to it....
Then he spoke directly to my wife..."it is around week 3-4 you will really need to reign him in...he will think he can do anything, but he will still be recovering from major surgery"....how did this fellow get to know me so well in such a short time?!?
The trip home started off fine, but then a 3.5 hr weather delay in Chicago screwed things up. they had us deplane twice, the whole airport was backed up so there was no place to sit (i was better off on the plane in first class seating!) we were lucky and finally got home at 1:30 am rather than 8:00 pm... many flights were flat out canceled.
Yesterday woke up with a splitting headache and nausea, some sort of stomach bug, could keep anything down (even water) until dinnertime when I kept in dry toast and Gatorade. so no meds at all yesterday.
Today it is almost like yesterday didn't happen! other than feeling a bit weak, I had a regular breakfast, shower, went out and visited with my bird dogs and am contemplating going to look at my cattle (not had any Oxy since Monday evening) More later,
 
Good to hear you are doing so well! Are you sure he knows you? I'm thinking you might get to thinking you can do too much a little sooner! Hiking parks roaming airports! Ha, you'll be wrestling those cattle next week. Enjoy and let the good wife pamper you! It does go fast!


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Dieter sorry that you had a few hiccups getting home, but so glad you are doing so well with your recovery!!! :yes!: Hope you get a chance to rest & relax and wishing you continued good healing, my friend!!
 
@Dieter. Welcome Home! Don't forget, it hasn't been that long. Don't start thinking you need to get busy again, and do too much. I think sometimes the hardest place to be is at home where we see ourselves doing all the things we used to do (or haven't been able to do anymore) and it's just irresistible to fall back into familiar patterns. My daughter has been doing a lot of work downstairs in hers and the baby's little apartment, and Momma so wants to see/help. If it were not for the fact that I promised myself coming home that once I climbed those 14 stairs up to our house, I wasn't going back down again until it's time to see the Dr for my staples, I'd be down there "helping" like I always do. So set limits for yourself and stick to them. Everything will still be there later - your recovery is the important thing now. I know your wife will rein you in - let her!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Let's see, day #11...walking as much as I want (with out the cane around the house) Doing chores, started the surgeon's six week PT protocol yesterday (mostly focused on strengthening/stretching abductors/connective tissue that has not moved in ages!) went to high school graduation and reception last night, so kind of sore today. I find that I have loads of energy one day, do lots, then the next want to rest. I feel great, mostly, kind of sore around the hip sometimes and that is eased with ice and Tylenol. I don't sleep through the night, but had not for ages before surgery.
I am on track to go back to work at least half days next week, I stopped by my office yesterday to pick up a paycheck and my board and staff had a great bottle of 12 year old single malt scotch as a get well gift. My body must be in full recovery mode as I had no desire to crack it open for a wee dram...soon enough though, soon enough!
 
@psychteach I was pretty nervous as well (my blood pressure was through the roof while they were getting me ready) but the little relaxer they gave me worked wounders, I don't remember the spinal at all...you will do great!
 
@psychteach You'll do fine. I was really at peace going in - kind of like just resigned myself to this being the only way to move on with my life, so I just let go and let them guide me through. The biggest thing for me was to ask questions - everyone involved from the admitting nurse to my OS was very caring, accommodating and communicative. I remember everything - through the IV, the spinal block (didn't hurt a bit) the ride to the OR, and being wheeled through those doors into blessed coolness, being transferred to the operating table, and finally my IV arm being placed gently into some sort of soft, padded trough attached to the the side of the table, and I was gone. Next thing I knew they were calling me from a peaceful dream of red/orange/yellow mosaic butterflies and I was batting at my oxygen mask in a very uncoordinated attempt to knock it off my face. LOL. I really don't remember recovery - funny, that because I thought until just now that I did. I do have one moment of memory of being aware that I was in recovery. I'd seen pics on the hospital website and recognized the room. Must have slept through most of that. Next thing I was being wheeled to my room, after which I promptly, neatly threw up once and the rest is history. Almost surreal looking back!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Was it McAllen, or Balvenie Doublewood, or something else? Enjoy when you decide to.... doing great you are!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom