Guest viewing is limited

THR Hippie Post Op Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
@lthr63014 hopefully I safely speak for everyone - we are here to listen. Remember to rest that is when the body really works on healing. I find myself taking a nap for a bit during the day as well as in bed on the early side. Strange they gave you value for spasms &cramps. The gave me methocarbamol which I really don't feel like it does anything. Hang in there we will all be better than before in time.
 
@insexec Thank you. I do feel like I am wasting so much time on the one hand, but on the other hand I am telling self I deserve it. I especially deserve the opportunity to have a better quality of life. Happy healing!
 
Hey everybody - hope everyone is having a good day! I just came home from my post op appt. Things are going along pretty well, just need to keep an eye on a small area of the incision has a bit of seepage. Also went to get dog food and went to CVS and walked around the store. First time I have been anywhere out of the car since surgery to come home from the hospital. Feeling pretty good but icing and taking a break before going outside to read a bit and enjoy the day. Glad I bought a new anti-gravity lounge with the awning :flwrysmile:
 
Glad your appointment went well! Hope everything continues to heal up properly for you!
 
Hi everyone! Hope y'all are doing well in your recovery and rehab. Today is 3 weeks post-op. I have been working to discharge use of the walker and am alternating between the walker and the cane as well as trying to take steps without using my arms for support - those are very baby steps indeed. I am wondering though - when I get up from sitting on occasion my left hip has been providing me with pain, it eventually subsides as I move. Just wondering if I should be concerned. Left hip is also bone on bone.
 
Hi @HippyHelen glad you are coming along well.
I think you probably have seen several people here who did THRs in succession.
It seems as one gets replaced, the other one becomes more noticeable or starts demanding equal time and pay.
It may be that if it is bone on bone.
Also, with pelvic realignment, it may be that muscles/tendons, ligaments etc are moving around differently.
And finally, I still have stiffness on standing til I walk it off for several steps. Hope that goes away.
 
@MajorHeidi Thank you, I have read several different threads that have this topic. I hope it is the re-alignment thing and will mellow out after strengthening that leg as well. I do need to replace the left hip but need to hold out until next June as I teach and do not have enough accrued sick time to pull it off during the school year. I hope that stiffness goes away for you too!
 
Ok Hippies!! I drove 5 miles to Costco and shopped! I was pushing the cart and as it was getting filled it did give me a workout. Thankfully my daughter came and loaded the car and unloaded the car as I wouldn't have been able to do that Came home and strapped on my cold compression gizmo! I love that thing! So glad my OS prescribed to get it.
 
GOOD MORNING EVERYONE! Hope things are going well with recovery. Well, Monday marked 4 weeks post-op. Yesterday went for my first outpatient PT. Therapist added more exercises to the routine. He also was manipulating the tissues at the top of my thigh and glutes, and boy that smarted. Very tender indeed. Really miss the cold compression machine I had, but had to be returned Monday. I have several of the gel paks but they just don't hold a candle to the machine. I just hope I'm ready to get back to school in a month.
Question - I was looking online for the cold compression machines and found one on Amazon for $129 (plus shipping)
https://www.amazon.com/Cryotherapy-Arctic-Water-Therapy-Universal/dp/B000ZIOYIG/?tag=ate362da-20
Has anyone had experience with this type of machine?
The one I had prescribed to me was pretty high-end - all I did was strap on the neoprene cuff and turn it on.
Thanks.
 
Hey Hippy, good hearing from you remember our surgeries were on the same day. I have pretty much stopped icing and elevating and I walk everyday with little pain, it is wonderful and I am hoping to hear the same from you :)
 
@waterman1 - I miss the icing - I still get the "burn" along the thigh and the icing really helped. The operated hip is doing well, the other - well, I am praying I can hold out until after the upcoming school year concludes. This past Sunday had to go to a wake for a high school friend. First time I was away from home for more than an hour or so. I did have swelling of my feet and ankles. As soon as i got home it was elevation and icing. Looking forward to being free from pain as you are! Have a great day!
 
It think we are about the same. Still have some swelling in my foot, and a little burning under my incision. My incision is a little irritated and more red than I want it to be. How is your incision and where is it? Mine is on top of my thigh and in the bend of my waist when I sit.
 
Hey @HippyHelen

Long time!! I feel like you are the person on this blog site who most reflects where I am at. My OS/PA gave me the green light to resume most activities yesterday......taking it easy......at 8 weeks out.....the first question they askd after that was "do you want to do the other one now?"........so we decided that I would wait some time to get this one stronger especially because I live in the NorthEast and can't imagine doing all this stuff in the winter. Like icing, which gives me alot of relief. So hello. And glad you're moving forward!
 
Hi Lee @lee0605 today is 6 weeks since surgery. I am progressing so says the PT but still have lack of strength in my legs. My incision looks ok. Sometimes there are pink areas and then they are a normal color. I.
 
I will try to post a pic if I figure out how. Also still using a cans although not bearing weight on it as I had done in the past. The other hip and knee are the big pains now.
 
Ok let me see if I can post a pic
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hippie Post Op Newbie

This is a current picture today. I am a rubenesque woman so there is the fold of my fat at the top of my thigh. Still have numbness along the outside of my thigh also my IT band is very tender at the top of my thigh states my PT. He massages it and I feel like jumping off the table.
 
Hi @HippyHelen

You are two weeks behind me and today, like a stupid jerk, I washed the dog. I was given the go-ahead the other day to resume all activity except that which bothers me (like washing a darn dog) and pulling my knee up to my chin in a supine position.

I have the little fold as well at the top of my incision. I like the word rubenesque by the way...me too.....but to be blunt it's at the part of my flab that kind of hangs down a little!

My incision looks different than yours but that is really most likely because your OS looks like he used staples. Mine used glue! A new thing. Lot's of times the redness around an incision is because the staples or stitches are pulled tight in the operating room and also because you move around and so does the incision (it moves with you right?). This is a question to ask one of the moderators such as @Jaycey because they really know their stuff and have seen just about everything. Jaycey has also given me some links to good articles and would probably have discouraged me from washing the dog.

My IT band bothers me as well...and thats info I got from @Jaycey which I should have bookmarked (are you out there!!! Can you post it again!!!). It feels like a groin pull. Another hippy, @lovetowalk , has also talked about trouble with this, although this woman is ready to run a marathon at 12 weeks out!

But I think it's important to remember that, as my OS said the other day, it will probably take as long for our hips to get better as it took for them to get bad. I think this is a reasonable way to see things. My hip is WEAK but I can now stand on it for 1.5 minutes before I know I should stop. Before surgery it was 10-15 seconds. I also need the other one done (untreated childhood disorder) but I really want to get this one better before I do that. I also had two surgeries on my other knee in the past two years. My OS said he would do the other hip in 6 weeks but I really need to work and it doesn't feel quite right to do it now. I really want to do it in the warm weather. But isn't it amazing how when you get the worse off one done you realize how bad the other one is too?

I know now that I should concentrate on starting to exercise more and loosing some weight....but I'm not going to make myself crazy about that right now.

What I will really will do is let my dog be!

But he was so stinky...and now he's really mad at me!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom