Guest viewing is limited

THR Hippie Chick’s Recovery Journey

You're right...many don't understand unless they've been through it or watched someone close to them recover.
Best Wishes as you return to work. Please let us know how it goes for you, Hippie Chick.
Take good care!
@Hippie Chick
 
Thanks everyone for your good thoughts! I am exhausted! I walked 6k steps, went up and down stairs, moved desks and chairs, put away new materials. Attended 2 very long meetings. My team likes to plan activities that are labor intensive with little benefits. I am envisioning working in my subject area quietly and peacefully. I am breaking in a new pair of sandals and almost got a blister. My classes will start Monday. Thankfully I will be able to work in my room on Thursday and Friday to get plans written and materials ready- six different grade levels. I had to ask or it would not have happened. Tomorrow I will be working with late registration. I picked up dinner before I headed home. My whole body is tired. My earlier thoughts of people not understanding were validated. If you are up and moving then you should be able to do it all. Two custodians were trapped on one of the elevators. My levels of empathy and understanding for others has really grown. I have always been ready to lend a helping hand but I feel that has really ramped up. Now if I can just make it through this week. I have a therapeutic massage scheduled for Saturday. I think I am starting to carry stress in my shoulders. Is this something anyone else has noticed? Good night! My day will start early in the morning. Hopefully I can get to sleep quickly.
 
@Hippie Chick Ouch! That does sounds like a very intense and exhausting first day back! Do try the best that you can to take care of your self! The massage is a good thing to do for stress relief! :console2:
 
My earlier thoughts of people not understanding were validated. If you are up and moving then you should be able to do it all.
We hear this over and over again. Take opportunities to share with understanding colleagues that this is a year long recovery, from the controlled trauma of a major surgery and even though you appear completely healed...you're not. Hopefully those that are empathetic, as you are, will understand and make concessions for you. Possibly you carry stress in your shoulders and the anticipation of your return to work along with all of the physical activity you engaged in has ramped it up. I hope you're able to relax in the evenings once you're back home from work, not doing much else until you're more acclimated to the routine of your return to the workplace.
Wishing you a peaceful day, Hippie Chick. :console2:
 
Thank you both! Today was easier as desks and chairs were in place. Next two days will be lesson planning and materials readying. The work stress is horrible- I can feel myself tensing up. I am working on de-stressing at work. Self-care has become a necessary priority for me. Any tips would be appreciated. Switching jobs is not something I can do at this time so I am working on fixing areas I can fix. I made several changes after right hip that made things better but I still have room for improvement. Two more days until the weekend!
 
I suggest you look online for "progressive muscle relaxation" and find a video you like. Try it once daily at whatever time of day is best for you.
Once you've become really adept at it, anytime you need it in the middle of the workday you'll be able to summon up a quick, quiet, nearly imperceptible version just focused on breathing, chest, and shoulders.
 
This sounds interesting! The older I become the more I see interconnections between things. I can tell the difference in muscle tightness when I am relaxed versus being tense. My recovery time also made me more aware. Some people are lucky to have this realization much earlier.
 
Another option you can do quietly is Box Breathing or Square Breathing as it is sometimes called. Navy SEALS use this technique when in high stress situations because it is crucial they remain calm and think clearly. It is a quick way to get the nervous system under control.

Step 1: Breathe in, counting to four slowly. Feel the air enter your lungs.
Step 2: Hold your breath for four seconds. Try to avoid inhaling or exhaling for four seconds.
Step 3: Slowly exhale through your mouth for four seconds,
Step 4: Repeat steps 1 to 3 until you feel re-centered.

When possible, there is also the option of listening to quiet relaxation music which may help lower stress.

Wishing you peaceful calm during your days at work, Hippie Chick. :)
@Hippie Chick
 
Layla's suggestion of box breathing is a really good one.

My husband suffers from "white coat syndrome" and his blood pressure always spikes when he's in a medical setting. Last visit, he tried this technique and was able to get his BP down to normal levels in just a few minutes. Even the nurse taking his BP reading was amazed!
 
Thank you both for this suggestion! I feel like I am very dialed in to my surroundings after both of my surgeries. I am tired of game playing and work politics. Having new strategies to try is wonderful. I had been running around for far too long doing way too much. They sound like a great way to peacefully recenter during the chaos and stress!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're having a good week so far. Thanks for sharing your healing journey with us and for your continued support of others here. :) Enjoy the rest of the week!
@Hippie Chick
 
Work continues to be tiring- I average at least 3 or more miles at work. I am thinking that is ample walking for right now. Gone are the days when educators were able to sit down in the classroom even briefly. Stairs are still an effort- slow moving both ways. A short set of steps is back to normal. I feel sluggish after sitting and needing to walk. I do not feel very graceful but am trying to make sure to practice heel to toe walking. I fear that I may either be stiff walking about or waddling- the horror! I am extremely grateful for my new hips and my recovery. I have not gotten to the point where I forget that I have them yet. Leftie is 3 months and righty is just under a year- still early days. Righty had to compensate for lefty so both have a ways to go. I now feel my hips are working together in tandem which is nice except when both are tired. My question is when did you think you had returned to your normal gait?
 
I'm sorry work feels so challenging physically.
3 miles a day is definitely plenty no matter where it is.

We don't realize how hard compensating is on our bodies until we don't have to compensate any more and try to figure out balance!
 
I only had one hip replaced but it was several months before I felt I could walk w/o a cane & walk w/o a limp.
You have one hip a year old & one 3 months & already back at work on your feet all day, that's a lot. Hope you can rest once you get home & your weekends are easier as well.
I tried going back to work after one year but had a set back & since then haven't bothered even trying. I just dog sit now & my partner is wonderful & told me to just stay home. But I do love work & extra $$$ for the odds & ends I like to purchase.
 
when did you think you had returned to your normal gait?
I only had one hip replaced and it took 5-6 months before I could just walk without having to think about it.

You are right. It takes time for our bodies to adjust to the realignment that happens with surgery. You were probably just adapting to the new alignment from your first surgery when you had the second -- which set everything back to ground zero. Keep practicing the heel-toe walking as your body continues to adapt to the change in alignment. It will get better with time.

Good luck with the new school year!
 
Thanks! I went up slight hill yesterday and today. My knee felt unhappy last night- clicked today no hills for me any time soon. Sometimes you miss the warning in the rush of daily life.
 
New hips hate going uphill! But once all is healed hills will not be a challenge.
Saturday is your one year for Hip #1. Yay!
You got this, hope you can rest & enjoy the long weekend ahead.
 
went up slight hill yesterday and today. My knee felt unhappy
Hills have been my nemesis during all my recoveries -- which is problematic because our driveway is a steep hill!. The first time I walked up to get the mail and then back down to the house without limping or stopping, I celebrated.

You'll get there, too.
 
Back
Top Bottom