Guest viewing is limited

THR Hippie Chick’s Recovery Journey

Regarding Netflix...I'm just about done with Season 1 of Your Honor...excellent but you really need to pay attention!
Hope you are out of that club that none of us like joining.
Have a great weekend.
 
Finally managed to leave the ODIC. I way overdid on my excursion on Monday. Added to that by overdoing on Tuesday when I really should have known better. Lesson hopefully learned. I am also trying to cut back to just over the counter pain management with lots of elevation and icing. Insurance is not wanting to cover other meds. I have groin pain when moving my leg but not when walking. Is Tylenol or Advil better once you stop other pain meds?

@myglasshalffull What is Your Honor about?
 
If your tummy tolerates Advil, your best bet is at least temporarily to use BOTH Tylenol and Advil.
It's safe because their chemistry and mode of action are totally different.
They seem to be somewhat more effective than just taking one of them.

Once you're comfortable on that regimen, you can cut back the Advil and continue the Tylenol.

The safe maximum dose of acetaminophen (Tylenol) is 4000 mg/24 hours, which is two extra-strength every six hours.

Being small and doing well on lesser dose regimens, I restrict my Tylenol to 3000 mg/24 hours.
 
Morning Hippiechick,
I used Extra Strength Tylenol, my Primary doesn't care for too much use of Ibuprofen. I do use Advil here & there but sparingly.
Your Honor has Bryan Cranston in it, he's a judge, but it's a very complicated story line, needless to say, he's a good man but not a good judge. Just finished season 1.
Have a good Sunday!
 
Great news!!!!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Hippie Chick!
How has the month of July been for you? Please let us know when you have the time.
Just noticed you're getting close to the one year anniversary of your first THR. :happydance:
Enjoy the rest of the Summer! :SUNsmile:
@Hippie Chick
 
Thanks @Layla ! Second time around has been different from first time for sure! Glad it was better the second time! Stairs are still my nemesis unfortunately. My right hip/leg muscles do not seem as strong as my left ones. I feel like my walk still has some improvements to be made. I have replaced shoes- my shoe collection took a hard hit. I can sleep on both sides but not without turning several times during the night. Getting up with just legs hasn’t happened yet. I have not tried sitting in the floor and do not have any plans to any time soon. Increased activity makes both sides tired, but Ibuprofen can handle it. I think I still have a couple spots of glue that have not come off- do I need to do anything or just be patient? I cannot put either foot to opposite knee just yet. So very thankful for both of my new hips! I am a very happy hippie chick! Summer has been wonderful!
 
Thankfully the second time is easier! :egypdance: Stairs will come and I believe your right leg will strengthen again, as your weight is more evenly distributed now. Righty may have taken on more as your left knee deteriorated.

Continue heel-toe walking for your gait.

Glue - if patience is not your strong suit :wink: and you want the residual glue gone, you can try Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol to dissolve the adhesive, applying a small amount with a Q-Tip, letting it sit briefly and then rub with the Q-Tip to gently remove, staying away from incision.

If you don't achieve the desired result, you can also try the same with Coconut Oil, Vitamin E Oil, or Olive Oil via the same process, apply, let sit briefly, then rub gently staying away from the incision. If you try any of these methods and they do work, please let us know for the benefit of others.

I didn't use any of the methods suggested above, but instead, in the shower soaped up the area with any residual adhesive and turned away from the shower stream, washing hair then body allowing the soap to dissolve the adhesive a bit, then I'd rinse and lightly / carefully scratch it off with my fingernail.

Glad to read you're a Happy Hippie Chick and you've been having a good Summer. :SUNsmile: Thanks for the update!
@Hippie Chick
 
@Pumpkin and Bone Smart staff- I just discovered that I had plastic suture that was poking out of my incision (5/20/24). I cut off about an inch- it’s a bit more there but didn’t want to go closer to the incision- it appears to have healed well. The plastic resembles plastic price tag in thickness. My doctor’s office is closed. I will call in the morning. Thoughts??? Reassurances- I did not have this experience round one with my other hip.
 
I just discovered that I had plastic suture that was poking out of my incision (5/20/24). I cut off about an inch- it’s a bit more there but didn’t want to go closer to the incision- it appears to have healed well. The plastic resembles plastic price tag in thickness. My doctor’s office is closed. I will call in the morning. Thoughts??? Reassurances- I did not have this experience round one with my other hip.
I had that happen with one of my knee sutures. Sometimes they don't dissolve as expected and work their way out through the skin. Definitely check with your doctor, but don't be freaked out. They may tell you to ignore it, or they may have you come in to pull the rest of it out and make sure it looks clean.
 
PA removed suture that was connected to the suture that was coming through. The suture has tiny barbs. I did not feel it although it was a possibility. It was clean so no need for antibiotics. If more comes out, call and they will take care of it. I think having the “end” available was beneficial-easy to grab with medical tweezers. I am glad I could be seen quickly- also nice having medical know how regarding easy removal and how everything looked.
 
Thankfully the issue was resolved and apologies for staff not getting back to you. This sometimes happens and is often referred to as spitting a stitch. Good news no antibiotics needed. Happy Weekend!
@Hippie Chick
 
No problem- I managed to not stress and sleep. The unknowns are no fun. I’m thinking no pool until the new scab heals to be on the safe side. Hope you have a great weekend too! Y’all are the best!
 
Probably sensible not to swim until fully healed.
We are both coming up to our hip anniversaries :-)
 
@SurreyGirl It’s hard to believe it’s almost been a year with hip 1. I feel like so much has changed- not willing to work round the clock or during weekends/holidays. Prioritizing time at home and practicing self care seem more important now. I go back to work soon and need to keep this new mindset. My boss clearly does not get it unless it pertains to her. I have more years to work so this is something I need to stick with- I need to stay my new course. My younger coworkers seem to have adopted this way of life early on. I am super excited about your early retirement!
 
Prioritizing time at home and practicing self care seem more important now. I go back to work soon and need to keep this new mindset. My boss clearly does not get it unless it pertains to her. I have more years to work so this is something I need to stick with- I need to stay my new course. My younger coworkers seem to have adopted this way of life early on.
Be strong, stay the course...you can do this!
I hope your weekend is off to a nice start and August 2024 is a memorable one for you...in a good way! :wink:
 
Absolutely Hippie Chick. I had 8 years to go after my first hip op and 2.5 after my second. The enforced recovery and rest recovering from my 2nd op really made me think and’ like you, I became less tolerant of nonsense at work. So when VS came up, I went for it.
 
Tomorrow is my first day back! One day to prepare before students arrive. Hopefully I will have a few days to set up my classroom as I am not a core teacher. Good thoughts and wishes please! Many coworkers do not understand how long recovery takes nor what hip replacement entails.
 
Back
Top Bottom